WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Intellectual?

View Poll Results: Should the Intellectual Table be renamed (Do you really think you get a choice?)
The Intellectual Table 1 33.33%
The Mosh Pit 1 33.33%
The Philosopher's Basement 1 33.33%
The Philosopher's (de)Basement 0 0%
Least Quantified Judges 0 0%
The Ivory Tower 0 0%
These Dull Old Saws 0 0%
UK versus the Free World 0 0%
50 Shades of Nitwittery 0 0%
B.S. and Buffoonery 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2018, 10:34 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Show & Tell Tavern

?!?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

Bitch & Moan
Old 02-16-2018, 03:44 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 23

There are a few things in this world that are nonsense (or intellectual dishonesty):-
1) the entire economic system is a Ponzi Scheme. and every piece of legislation that exists in the Western world supports it. Yet, if you were to create one you would be prosecuted.
2) Every piece of legislation that exists was designed to aid the have's while hurting the have not's. Every piece of legislation is designed to protect the position of the rich, and every concession is superficial bullshit (gay marriage) aimed at placating morons.
3) Should the intellectual table be renamed? I don't care.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
There are a few things in this world that are nonsense (or intellectual dishonesty):-
1) the entire economic system is a Ponzi Scheme. and every piece of legislation that exists in the Western world supports it. Yet, if you were to create one you would be prosecuted.
2) Every piece of legislation that exists was designed to aid the have's while hurting the have not's. Every piece of legislation is designed to protect the position of the rich, and every concession is superficial bullshit (gay marriage) aimed at placating morons.
3) Should the intellectual table be renamed? I don't care.

I say Bitch & Moan is supported by this post, albeit inadvertently.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 23

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
I say Bitch & Moan is supported by this post, albeit inadvertently.
I say that bitch and moan is supported by this post... when will people realise that bitching and moaning at people is bitching and moaning, yet with less purpose, just a smug, self-satisfied narcissism.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 02-16-2018 at 05:39 PM..
Old 02-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

"All happy families are alike, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

Tolstoy
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
"All happy families are alike, each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

Tolstoy
Hey, that's really good.

That guy should write.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:50 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

I say that bitch and moan is supported by this post... when will people realise that bitching and moaning at people is bitching and moaning, yet with less purpose, just a smug, self-satisfied narcissism.
I dunno.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

Hey, hold up - are you havin' me on?
Old 02-16-2018, 11:03 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 405

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Maybe we should come up with a more realistic name for the "Intellectual Table"?

New members are bound to be disappointed by the lack of intellect on display there. How about "Bigots R Us" or "Vent Your Spleen Here"?
Ah, the days! You see, flyingtart, the IT has a long and storied history of challenging the intellect of many an unwary visitor, sometimes in ways which were not obvious in the beginning.

We used to (or I should say, my late friend Ed, who died from a broken heart after being banned for life used to. We were pretty close, and he told me enough about what happened, it was almost like I'd been there). But we were, at one time, incandescent in our efforts to achieve the lofty title of Intellectual, even going so far as to have a word we coined entered in the Urban Dictionary (see "Pollock", definition #4, in The Urban Dictionary.)

The IT was closed for a while, and since it's reopening, has not regained its former glory, so I can see how someone who missed all that might question the name. But the desire of any true intellectual should be to take those who are inferior and, through the patient application of wisdom, wit, and careful guidance, show them an enlightened view of the world, in the hopes that they may become smart fellers, too.

So, stick around and keep your eyes and ears open. You might learn something.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Prodigalson; 02-19-2018 at 07:24 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (02-20-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:31 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Ah, the days! You see, flyingtart, the IT has a long and storied history of challenging the intellect of many an unwary visitor, sometimes in ways which were not obvious in the beginning.

We used to (or I should say, my late friend Ed, who died from a broken heart after being banned for life used to. We were pretty close, and he told me enough about what happened, it was almost like I'd been there). But we were, at one time, incandescent in our efforts to achieve the lofty title of Intellectual, even going so far as to have a word we coined entered in the Urban Dictionary (see "Pollock", definition #4, in The Urban Dictionary.)

The IT was closed for a while, and since its reopening, has not regained its former glory, so I can see how someone who missed all that might question the name. But the desire of any true intellectual should be to take those who are inferior and, through the patient application of wisdom, wit, and careful guidance, show them an enlightened view of the world, in the hopes that they too may become smart fellers, too.

Please, sir, your words ... tears, weeping ... sniffles .... may I use the hem of your robe?

Last edited by Prodigalson; 02-19-2018 at 07:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (02-23-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:33 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

Prate & Preach?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:08 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

The IT was closed for a while, and since it's reopening, has not regained its former glory, so I can see how someone who missed all that might question the name. But the desire of any true intellectual should be to take those who are inferior and, through the patient application of wisdom, wit, and careful guidance, show them an enlightened view of the world, in the hopes that they too may become smart fellers, too.

Oh, I was there. It has never achieved the lofty heights of intellectuality it aspires to. That's why the title grates. It is pretentious.

Pretension is the most unforgivable writerly trait. All it does is flatter the ego. Better by far to admit our stupidity and embrace it. The only thing worth writing about is your own human frailty, not regurgitated propaganda you saw on the news last night. Of course, if you have no inner life to draw from all that's left is the hollow rant of the Pub Bore.

And that's another suggestion: The Hollow Rant of the Pub Bore
Old 02-17-2018, 03:09 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

[QUOTE=Nick Pierce; Hey, that's really good.

That guy should write.
-------------------

He is so busy teaching TM to Tibetan Monks he just doesn't have time to write.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,356

[QUOTE=Gaines;741965][QUOTE=Nick Pierce; Hey, that's really good.

That guy should write.
-------------------

He is so busy teaching TM to Tibetan Monks he just doesn't have time to write.[/QUOTE]

Om, I see.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 AM
spshane (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 56

The sickness of the Western world is a tendency to civilize mental noise by calling it 'thought'. The mind itself is mad and we choose to further our sickness by identifying with our thoughts. The apes you see in the zoo--the ones slinging their own feces at each other--are far more honest. I'd sling some feces at you now, but I'm not a young man anymore and I cherish a good bowel movement.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:05 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Anyone who is halfway astute knows the name "intellectual table" is kind of silly. Someone thought it was a good idea for some reason -- but otherwise, no one has really given a shit or thought it was clever to point out the obvious -- until now. Congratulations, flyingtart!

The real point of the thread is to have the admin step in and add a poll suggesting a name change to the always lively and polite discussion forum.

Last edited by Mohican; 02-22-2018 at 06:48 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 09:13 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 995

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Anyone who is halfway astute knows the name "intellectual table" is kind of silly. Someone thought it was good idea for some reason -- but otherwise, no one has really given a shit or thought it was clever to point out the obvious -- until now. Congratulations, flyingtart!

The real point of the thread is to make yourself feel better and smarter by taking passive aggressive sideswipes at the other members -- without being self aware enough to grasp that your contributions to the forum aren't anything to crow about.

Funny, but ridiculous -- and probably anti-intellectual.

Funny sometimes, and fun too. But yeah, most forums call it the current events thread or the politics and religion thread.

Id be down for the I dont care about you! Fuck you! Thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:25 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

When I first joined the forum, I thought for a nanosecond about saying something like, hey, when are the intellectuals going to show up? Then I thought, naw, that has to be pretty stale around here by now...
Old 02-17-2018, 10:31 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

"Matron's Night Off"
Old 02-17-2018, 10:58 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Like Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his limitations."
Old 02-17-2018, 11:52 PM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

God there's a lot of stupid people pretending to be smart around here. It's so tiring for someone as enlightened as myself watching these monkeys and bigots flinging their shit around and acting like they're getting something done.

They should have some humility!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:31 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 870

Humility? The greatness of individuals on this site is extremely understated.

An Algonquin round table pales in comparison to our gatherings where the great questions of mankind are dissected and answered with astounding clarity of vision.

We are, as is often said, too smart for the room.

Who farted?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:08 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 995

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Humility? The greatness of individuals on this site is extremely understated.

An Algonquin round table pales in comparison to our gatherings where the great questions of mankind are dissected and answered with astounding clarity of vision.

We are, as is often said, too smart for the room.

Who farted?

Dilly Dilly!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:57 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Dilly Dilly!

No!!!

Typical -- they take a mildly amusing concept and wring every last bit of humor out of it.

Waaasupp!

Old 02-20-2018, 08:32 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 380

The IT was closed for a while, and since it's reopening, has not regained its former glory, so I can see how someone who missed all that might question the name. But the desire of any true intellectual should be to take those who are inferior and, through the patient application of wisdom, wit, and careful guidance, show them an enlightened view of the world, in the hopes that they may become smart fellers, too.

Yep, and back in the old days there used to be folk called "Bumhead", I miss that chap, he used to call me "Gherkin-butt"
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Another suggestion:

Fifty Shades of Fuckwittery
You should write a piece with that title!

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:32 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 167

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
You should write a piece with that title!
Why don't you put it in the poll?
Old 02-23-2018, 02:18 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 405

I might go for, "Your Two Cents' Worth, With Change," or, "You Thought You Had Something Meaningful To Say," or better yet, "You Thought You Had Something Meaningful To Say, But You Didn't," but we might lose members over that so how about, "Bullshit and Buffoonery."

Kind of a nod to ol' Mike C, there.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Myers (02-23-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 06:40 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

I might go for, "Your Two Cents' Worth, With Change," or, "You Thought You Had Something Meaningful To Say," or better yet, "You Thought You Had Something Meaningful To Say, But You Didn't," but we might lose members over that so how about, "Bullshit and Buffoonery."

Kind of a nod to ol' Mike C, there.
Two more poll choices added.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (02-25-2018)

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback