WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Reminds me of the last time

Old 02-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Palindrome (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24
Default Reminds me of the last time

I landed at LAX. Ten minutes of very stiff, unpredictable crosswinds on the descent. We had our seat in the upright position, belts fastened, toes and fingers crossed, worry-beads firmly clutched (they'd taken away our tiny bottles of solace; cabin staff probably guzzling it behind the curtain) those unlucky enough to have window seats staring fixedly at the thick-laced dark blue waves below - and coming closer....
until finally we touched tarmac
hard
three times
and rolled to a blessed stop. Alighting passengers filed past a pale, glistening flight crew and, taking our cue from them, retained our dignity, did not fall on our knees or kiss the floor. Just carried off our carry-on bags and carried on. OK, LA, we've landed. Now what?
The palm trees didn't say a word.

Okay, W.B., I got in. Now what?

Last edited by Palindrome; 02-03-2018 at 10:17 AM..
Old 02-03-2018, 01:55 PM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

Now join the dark side. We have cookies. Welcome!
Nick Pierce (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,374

Originally Posted by Palindrome View Post
I landed at LAX. Ten minutes of very stiff, unpredictable crosswinds on the descent. We had our seat in the upright position, belts fastened, toes and fingers crossed, worry-beads firmly clutched (they'd taken away our tiny bottles of solace; cabin staff probably guzzling it behind the curtain) those unlucky enough to have window seats staring fixedly at the thick-laced dark blue waves below - and coming closer....
until finally we touched tarmac
hard
three times
and rolled to a blessed stop. Alighting passengers filed past a pale, glistening flight crew and, taking our cue from them, retained our dignity, did not fall on our knees or kiss the floor. Just carried off our carry-on bags and carried on. OK, LA, we've landed. Now what?
The palm trees didn't say a word.

Okay, W.B., I got in. Now what?

Now comment like crazy on all the work we poor slobs post and spill some of your guts with yours.

Hey, you asked.

If you need me I will return after eating an organic avocado.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:22 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

I wanna know what the fuck happened after that?

I’d like to see the first two sentences become one. If you’re worried about pacing you could: (ten minutes of very stiff, unpredictable crosswinds on the descent).

I’d go for the cookies if I were you. Be careful with the ones I brought though.😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-03-2018, 02:33 PM
pralina (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 46

Don’t take cookies from strangers. There is nothing to be scared of when it comes to my cookies, though. You can trust me. Seriously.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Palindrome (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24

What happened after that was a long and boring drive out to Irvine. Where the company had rented an apartment for us. In a nice gated complex of low-rises. Trees, flowers, a pool and 6 am wake-up call by gasoline-powered leaf-blower. We never figured out why the leaves needed blowing onto the lawn. Every day. They could have just been swept with a plain old broom. Quietly and without the noxious cloud. I would wait an hour before moving to the patio with my coffee and USA Today. (That's what the newspaper fairy left on our mat... coulda been worse!)
We were only there on a two-month contract, and that was over 20 years ago, but I'm still nostalgic for teeshirts in November and lunch at Soup Plantation.

But cookies are good, too. Where I live, even naughty cookies will be okay this summer. Too bad all they do anymore is help me sleep.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:34 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

And then?

Say... are you making this up as we go along here?😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Palindrome (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
And then?
Then, not much of interest. My SO went off to work... so called and so well compensated. Half the time, there was no work for me; the deciders were wrestling and agonizing over strategy. So I read Marilyn vos Savant's column, flubbed the crossword, largely due to culture-gap, checked out the theatrical events we were never going to attend due to price of tickets, made a note of free public art shows (They have a wonderful civic center. We saw a memorable Ansel Adams exhibit.); discovered that a phalanx of the tiniest ants I had ever seen tracked my toast-crumbs into the apartment, so I laid down a be-yooo-tiful wall of bleach cleanser in the night-time lull so they couldn't find their back again the next day. Then I went for very long walks. No choice: everything was a long way off from that relatively new development at the edge of the city. There was a strawberry farm across the road. Of all agriculture, strawberry fields have to be most boring to look at! Smell nice, though. The boulevards are pleasant, with pepper trees down the median... No, wait - that was in Cerritos, on a previous gig.

Say... are you making this up as we go along here?��
Not at all. Every word is true - cross my heart, which is still in some danger from the after-effects of Starbucks mega-coffees - if not in the the strictly correct order. Only reason I brought it up was: on my arrival here, I encountered some turbulence (very kindly smoothed out by Mohican) which churned that memory to the surface, and I thought it might be amusing to recount. Since one is obliged to say something by way of introduction.

Last edited by Palindrome; 02-04-2018 at 08:54 AM..
Old 02-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,374

I know it is true because I have been in Irvine.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:22 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 716

We were only there on a two-month contract, and that was over 20 years ago, but I'm still nostalgic for teeshirts in November and lunch at Soup Plantation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18JZKQkZw-M

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:41 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,981

I landed at LAX. Ten minutes of very stiff, unpredictable crosswinds on the descent. We had our seat in the upright position, belts fastened, toes and fingers crossed, worry-beads firmly clutched (they'd taken away our tiny bottles of solace; cabin staff probably guzzling it behind the curtain) those unlucky enough to have window seats staring fixedly at the thick-laced dark blue waves below - and coming closer.... until finally we touched tarmac hard three times and rolled to a blessed stop. Alighting passengers filed past a pale, glistening flight crew and, taking our cue from them, retained our dignity, did not fall on our knees or kiss the floor. Just carried off our carry-on bags and carried on. OK, LA, we've landed. Now what? The palm trees didn't say a word. Okay, W.B., I got in. Now what?
(of course of which such things seemed an everyday occurrence upon writerbeat, for not only was the forum thrown into a flustering commotion by now but also others had rallied up themselves into replying here, but the goblin stopped at that point, his mind trying to fit the plot into neat plausible explanations before letting go empty handed, standing back and stopping even, and then letting the proceedings proceed without letup without judgment neither, asking himself instead if he wasn't actually missing something here, asking aloud "...if all that I can offer you is my sincerest of welcomes, would you human, well if I may be so bold as to call you one now, let me follow you in your posts to wherever you would lead me merely because I know my own world far too well already and care to know of your world now...", outside, night's glove had cupped the moon in a cold sparkling darkness once more, while inside his apartment the goblin rested at his desk stealing what he could of those last long moments before finally surrendering to the sandman, "...goodnight Palindrome, you're here but let's see if you can find me..." he whispered)

Last edited by fleamailman; 02-06-2018 at 08:20 PM..
Old 02-04-2018, 04:37 PM
Palindrome (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 24

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Love that song! Quite liked LA, for that matter - more the normal parts where working people live - than the surreal parts, but even those have a quality all their own.
San Francisco, where we spent very little time, was more romantic, prettier (no razor-wire on the overpasses, for a start!) but less interesting.

It was so long ago, and yet stays fresh.

Hi, fleamailman!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:30 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 3,981

Hi, fleamailman!
"...well you can call me flea if you like, friends do call me flea you know though mostly it's "goblin" or even "that goblin" depending..." smiled the goblin awake for the most part, yet staying indoors today, staying in bed moreover, for his mind had to swim in a cranium of flu-ridden mucus that leaked relentlessly from one nostril into an awaiting tissue, yes even fictional characters seemed to have their roots loosely embedded in some reality or other, before he just added "...trouble is that these day I don't really cut it as a insult flinging troll on their forum, well any more than I could pass as some woolly wordy writertype on this one, no I'm neither to those things really, only that they both have their pulls, their dues as it were, and then their rewards too I guess, thus hence here I am at your service so to speak...", tissue filled, the goblin poured his thoughts down his arms through those tapping fingertips on passed the keyboard to that ever hungry slot on the screen in front of him, sighing "...you see, most folks actually want to know what their reality is, oh yes that elusive "truth of it all", whereas me, looking out at this cascading snow falling across genve's dull skyline would like nothing more than to know anything but my reality and its truth therein, no I'm not proud of my desire to escape with you from here, yet I'm sincere in this sentiment towards you though, take me away even for a moment then..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 02-06-2018 at 08:34 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions