WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Need a list of similar novels for research

Old 07-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Rich0 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21
Default Need a list of similar novels for research

Hi. I'm currently in the midst of planning out a science fiction story. Usually when I write, I try to read as many similar novels as possible for ideas on how to develop my world and progress the narrative. The only only problem I have right now is I can't find anything that is similar to what I'm writing.

So I was hoping someone could recommend me something to read that is similar to the following synopsis for my story.

My story is set in a future Earth where everyone is immortal and everything is unlimited and disposable. Each individual has access to much as they want and as a result money is no-longer used. A person can replicate and replace any body part. It's this technology which makes it possible for potential immortality.

The main character has lived for 100s of years and finds himself in a existential crisis whilst his life is consumed by addition. He is searching for meaning in a nihilistic world devoid of anything but constant hedonism.

If anyone could recommend me any similar Science Fiction I could read for inspiration I would very grateful. I hope that was enough information If you need any more detail let me know.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

Why do you have to read something that is noticeably similar to the one you want to write? I've honestly found that reading a wide variety is always more useful to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:25 AM
Rich0 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

Everyone has a different methods.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 AM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

That's true, but being too rigid about how you do things helps no one in the arts. If you can't find enough books that are similar enough, the project won't fall to pieces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Redlorry

Look on Amazon or Goodreads for recommendations about similar books.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

An Alien Heat by Michael Moorcock sounds pretty close. In fact it sounds like the book you're writing.

But Rei is right, unless you're hoping to cherry-pick and copy stuff.

Incidentally, I interviewed Michael Moorcock a few years back. Here's some advice you might heed:

If they want to write fantasy I always advise them to stop reading fantasy and read modern realists. If they want to write autobiographical realism, I advise them to read some of the best visionary writers of our day.

In other words, read widely, and outside your genre. You'll learn more about how to write great SF by reading Bronte and Hemingway than by reading SF.

Full interview here: http://www.irosf.com/q/zine/article/10115

Last edited by Mike C; 07-10-2014 at 05:49 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike C For This Useful Post:
Rich0 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
Rich0 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

I'm trying to create a world. The best way I like to do it is immerse myself in as many similar worlds as possible so that I'm in the right frame of mind.

^An alien Heat looks very much like my idea, I'll take a look at it
Old 07-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

All right, so you like do to it that way. You're allowed to do that. But you are not doing yourself any favours by being unwilling to stray from that.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:16 PM
Rich0 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 21

Maybe I would if this was a discussion thread and not a thread I created for a specific purpose..
Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

And I am giving my opinion on that topic. There is no reason not to have a discussion on the merits of what you are asking. There is no reason to be defensive.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section