WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Writing Style?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Abomination (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8
Default Writing Style?

Okay, I just want to start out saying that i am officially addicted to this forum. This is the second writing forum I've joined. (The first wanted me to wait 14 days before posting any works.... o.O) And i really enjoy this community so far. :] It's still early and I've had one too many cups of joe so forgive me if i start rambling.

But to the real reason for me making this thread. From what I've seen from reading the works of famous authors it seems like most of them have their own writing style and it pretty much remains very similar from book to book, story to story, etc etc. Is this usually what writers do? Just find what works and stick with it?

I personally think i have somewhat of a unique writing style. I have trouble deciding rather my standard writing format is more of a form of abstract poetry or just a really short, short story with a high level of imagery and symbolism. (Tempted to lean more toward the Abstract Poetry side because I'm pretty bad with Punctuation and i could probably get away with a little more that way ) But either way, i rarely venture outside of my first person, stream of consciousness, narrative type of writing. Is this odd?

Should i be trying to "broaden" my horizons or really focusing on my current style, which i rather enjoy? I don't really think I could ever see myself writing a novel, so i will probably stick to more poetic, short writing. Maybe with some luck I will write something good enough to be published

I use my writing as an outlet for my depression. Many of the things i write tend to come out rather dark and dreary but it's oddly appropriate and it helps to see my problems on paper. I start university in January and im going to Double Major in English Lit and Psychology. Hopefully through my college classes I will really grow and as a writer. [/rant]

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Originally Posted by Abomination View Post
Is this odd?
No.

The choice is yours; develop and refine your style or expand and experiment. However nobody ever lost anything by stepping outside their comfort zone and the beauty of writing shorts is that you can rewrite the same story five times before bed time.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 AM
Abomination (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
No.

The choice is yours; develop and refine your style or expand and experiment. However nobody ever lost anything by stepping outside their comfort zone and the beauty of writing shorts is that you can rewrite the same story five times before bed time.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 AM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

Abomination, I was depressed and found writing cured me. Turned out my depression was probably brought on by not using that creative side of my brain, and only using the analytical side - all work, no play. Your depression is probably different, but its great you are writing as a way of dealing with it. My only problem now is getting grouchy when I can't get enough uninterrupted time to write. (I often write with earplugs in, in my family room.)

Re style - I think you just write. Yes, experiment all you want.

I keep coming across sage comments that your style or voice only develops by writing, lots, for a long time. I've been surprised when people comment about my 'voice' in things I've written - the first time, I didn't know what that was, and had to look it up.

I think the main thing is that you write in the way that suits you, rather than trying to be another writer. People do imitate the style of authors they like sometimes, but in the end, they have to write from within themselves. My opinion, which is all this is, is that however you write, do it with confidence, don't pull back when you are learning, don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

If you are hoping to communicate effectively with a reader, there is a lot to learn, but each tool you use is still uniquely yours when you wield it. The more you wield it the better. So its good to choose things you enjoy to work on.

I've only been writing a few months. Everything I do is still an experiment, even sometimes finding out what I like writing about or not.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 PM
auburnivory (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I think experimentation is important, but ultimately everyone has their own 'voice', and don't feel pressured to always write outside it. I've been writing all my life pretty much and as you keep writing your voice will necessarily evolve. Experimentation is a good way of figuring out what works for you, but I don't worry too much about consciously writing in different styles - most of mine is first-person, or first-person plural.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,013

("...well with me, I just write like any other goblin I suppose..." went the goblin a bit worried as to whether Mike C had actually found out where he was yet, or whether he still needed the other forum members here to help him find out now, but that was another thread in the writer's cafe section, so he returned to this topic instead, adding "...but then again, it's very useful on forumland to have one's own writing style since it forms part of one's persona, I mean, have you ever read something amazing only to forget who wrote it then noting that one is unable to see which poster that was for the invisibleness of something written all too correctly to be identifiable even...", in fact, the goblin had many other reasons as to why he wrote as he did, but perhaps the biggest one of all was a recognizable anonymity, saying "...you see, a writer who doesn't understand forumland and forumland readership is not going to get the most out of this medium here, instead he or she will fall into the folly of trying to pull posters towards their books and blogs, yet I have no links at all, instead I rely solely upon my persona, of which my writing style is a strong part of it, where writing style, recognizable role, traceable username and constant content are all parts of my madness then, where as far as I know, no sane person actually reads this far or these posts either...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 10-16-2011 at 02:10 AM..
Old 10-14-2011, 03:14 PM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

Goblin, while your voice is distinctive and recognisable, and your persona's name is constant, if one remains on a forum long enough (months or even years), I have found at times one can even recognise the voice of those who log in under different pseudonyms after a while, if they participate regularly. Their style or voice cannot be hidden even though they try, and even though they are not aiming to be distinct. But I am interested in what you understand the nature of forumland and its readership to be.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,013

But I am interested in what you understand the nature of forumland and its readership to be.
("...from experience..." started the goblin grateful that someone had taken interest where so much on writer's forums was either book or blog oriented, so the goblin fell back on that notion of "feeding" here, saying "...simply you feed me my thoughts, where this becomes an open correspondence between us now, but those livewriters that I know of all store their posts, the rest, such as follow-on lines, the matching pictures, the writing in third person, etc., are just individual indulgences, or mere facets of their personas...", at which point the goblin really didn't know if he should talk about the fact that each poster/writer became his or her own creation here, and that the poster/writer and his works became two sides of the same coin now, so instead he just let fihr ask the next question if there was one, or would like to give his take on it, repeating "...forum readership is not passive, it's this feeding between us, so one writes amongst one's readers here, not just to them like before, moreover, if this forum is anything to go by, it's increasing in an albeit unnoticed manner perhaps, where me, I'm waiting for livewriters to emerge amongst the writers I suppose, for the forum is where everyone keeps returning to but as yet few posters see the potential of their posts, their posting is just post and discard each time, pity when one thinks about how quickly one becomes known by one's posts...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 10-16-2011 at 02:17 AM..
Old 10-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

Experiment. Play. Try lots of different things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:58 PM
fihr (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 195

one writes amongst one's readers here, not just to them like before,
Hadn't thought of it like that...

each poster/writer became his or her own creation here, and that the poster/writer and his works became two sides of the same coin now,
Hmm... fihr is me, but not all of me; I had another blog persona for a time (mostly put away now), who again was me, but not all of me, but I did begin to think of that persona as almost a separate entity from the complete me... each is my own creation or honest reflection, and I suppose would not exist without the works. But still - the works don't create me. Except that writing is evidence of thinking which can change a person... Now I am getting confused.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:41 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,013

("...no, it's not too hard to see the truth of it now, a truth that has been here all along in the virtual reality of it..." replied the goblin, continuing "...that is, that whatever one writes of oneself, and however well too, it remains one's creation and, as such, isn't oneself at all, merely one's self creation then, for no one is actually here, ah no, all that's here are these words on your screen...", the goblin's reason for having said that on forumland a writer and his works were two sides of the same coin)

Last edited by fleamailman; 10-17-2011 at 01:57 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues