WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Contest Results | Poetry | Romance (February 2007)

Old 03-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Contest Results | Poetry | Romance (February 2007)

And it’s a tie! For the first time ever, WB will have to give out a pair of poetry awards for a single month! Congratulations to Nathan101085 and Kriss Nichol on their excellent and very different pieces.

Thanks to all our participants – these were a great bunch of submissions.

Final Order of Finish:
1. Nathan101085 – 18.75
Kriss Nichol – 18.75
2. gary_wagner – 18.25
3. kal – 17.75
4. Oasis Writer – 17.5
5. riverstone – 17.25
6. Jason Morales – 17
7. lwright – 16.625
8. Toyzrock – 16.5
Fun2Learn – 16.5
9. Love2Write – 16
10. Susie – 15.875
11. creator_7 – 15.125
12. Princess KLS – 15
13. _zeb_ - 14.625
14. tRanCe – 13.75
15. Zainab – 12.75

Please find the individual scores and comments below.

Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Member: Toyzrock
Title: Visions

Mechanics: 3.5/5
Intangibles: 4/5
Overall Impression: 8/10

A few punctuation blunders could use fixing, but I do like the feeling behind this. I also like the simplicity of the "you were blonde" statement and it feels like one of those trivial things that is absolutely crucial to the person involved.

Score: 15.5/20

Member: _zeb_
Title: Untitled

Mechanics: 3/5
Intangibles: 3/5
Overall Impression: 6/10

I was a bit confused while reading this because I at times felt sorry for the speaker and at times wondered if he was a creepy stalker who ought to go to jail. The love-sick anger is good, but you might want to work on your word choice. And please use punctuation!

Score: 12/20

Member: Fun2Learn
Title: A new-fangled feeling...

Mechanics: 4/5
Intangibles: 4.5/5

I like this for its moment-in-time aspect. I didn't quite know what was going on, but still felt connected to it because I'm sure I've been in that position before.

Score: 16.5/20

Member: Susie
Title: I Love You

Overall Impression: 7/10

I'm undecided about the line breaks in this - it seems like you broke it up in this manner on purpose, but I think it borders on looking sloppy and misguided, rather than creative. I think you could work on your images (and make some less cliché), but a nice sentiment, nonetheless.

Score: 15/20

Member: Zainab
Title: The love of my life

A good sentiment, but the feelings and emotion could use some polishing in order to come off stronger. Grammar needs some work and I always encourage punctuation in poetry.

Member: kal
Title: 19th of January 2002

Mechanics: 5/5
Intangibles: 5/5
Overall Impression: 10/10

Excellent flow and pace. I love the repetition of your key phrase. Simple yet complex, and highly satisfying!

Score: 20/20

Member: riverstone
Title: Finding Faith

I like the details in the beginning but I found it difficult to really get in to this - I think the flow was off for me. Clearly very heartfelt!

Score: 17/20

Member: Princess KLS
Title: What's real love?

Intangibles: 3.5/5

An interesting concept but I think it could be improved by being more introspective. The broad strokes you use can apply to lots of people (which is good), but this could be more intense if you threw in some personality.

Score: 14.5/20

Member: Nathan101085

Mechanics: 4.5/5
Overall Impression: 9/10

A misspelling of one of your crucial words (it's silhouette ), but otherwise well done. Good flow and rhyme, plus a nice play on words in the last line.

Score: 17.5/20

Member: Love2Write
Title: That Autumn Night

Very cute and sweet. A little polishing would be nice - try reading it out loud and see what catches.

Member: Jason Morales
Title: Potters

Wonderful words and images! I'm not sure what it all meant, but a joy to read.

Score: 19/20

Member: Kriss Nichol
Title: Love Haiku

I could giggle at this for a long time. I'm amazed at how much you crammed into three lines - it's as fulfilling as 1,500 word short story. Well done!

Member: lwright
Title: My Kind of Forever

It flows kind of like a chant, which is cool, but at the same time repetitive. Obviously the repetition is important to this, but I think you may have gone a bit too far with it. Also, the second half or so doesn't really give us anything new - the first half is a better expression of the same thing.

Member: gary_wagner
Title: Marriage Flames

I really like the candle imagery repeated throughout - haunting and beautiful. The final stanza doesn't fit as well as I would have liked, but I sure wouldn't know how to fix it.

Member: creator_7

A well-captured moment and good emotion. The last two lines are the best but the rest lacks a little flow. Try reading this out loud and see what it feels.

Score: 14/20

Member: tRanCe

I found myself so caught up in the rhyming that I found it hard to pay attention to what was happening. Probably just me, but maybe see how this would go if the form were less strict.

Member: Oasis Writer
Title: Adoration Forevermore

Overall Impression: 8.5/10

You managed to keep my interest, which is impressive when considering the length. However, it did get a bit repetitive and I generally go by the less is more rule - try cutting this down a little and vamping up the power of what is left behind.

Originally Posted by aprilrain View Post
Title: "Visions"

Comments: Ah, yes, the petty blow-ups that feel like the end of the world, but then when you work it out, the world comes together again. Some of the details of this confused me ('You were blonde' seems to be an important line in a strategic place--was that why the speaker became jealous...?), but the message and emotion was clear.
-------------

Title: "Untitled"

Comments: The anguish and lovesickness is well-conveyed. My only issue is that the pronouns are confusing. The speaker seems to be addressing the words to the woman that he loves, but the beginning stanzas make it seem like his heart's desire is with another woman. Perhaps that's the case, but it's not clear. Otherwise, very heartfelt.
-------------

Title: "A New-Fangled Feeling"

Comments: I really like how you have captured a moment in time and something that seemed inconsequential to her makes the speaker feel captivated by her. Some of the wording seemed off, but otherwise, great description.
--------------

Title: "I Love You"

Overall Impression: 7.5/10
Comments: This is really lovely, and I hope you find occasion to send these exact words to someone special, if you haven't already. A couple of the phrases were a little cliche'--something you might see in a greeting card, but I could tell they were heartfelt and sincere. Nice.
Score: 15/20
-------------

Title: "The Love of My Life"

Comments: The emotion you feel for this man shines through. I think a couple of the lines didn't quite translate the way you meant them to, but those can be rectified through further editing.
--------------

Member: Kal
Title: "The 19th of January, 2002"

Comments: This immediately drew me in and held me. The repetition of "It's too big" with various meanings was artfully done. I feel like there should have been a line break toward the end to allow the reader to pause a beat before reading the final 4 lines to underscore the change in time and situation, but that is just me being overly picky of a really great poem.
Score: 18/20
--------------

Member: Riverstone
Title: "Finding Faith"

Comments: A poem that most can relate to but more people need to heed. It's easy to let little things in life outweigh the important things. The structure was different for me, but I appreciated the words.
--------------

Title: "What's Real Love?"

Overall Impression: 6.5/10
Comments: There are a lot of high level, general statements made that intrigue me in this poem, and I would have loved a few more details to know more. Why are the ones that you love always out of reach? Why do people perceive you as cold? More details to allow the reader to step further into the thoughts and troubled heart of the poem's speaker would really make this poem flourish.
Score: 13.5/20
-------------

Comments: Wow--thought-provoking and beautiful. Perfect length and rhythm. Well done. Just half point deduction for misspelling silhouette.
Score: 19.5/20
------------

Title: "That Autumn Night"

Comments: So sweet and so typical of the different ways that men and women show their feelings--we just have to know how to translate, which I'm glad you were able to do. Very nice.
Score: 16/20
-------------

Member:
Jason Morales
Title: "Potters"

Comments: I do believe I'm going to have to take up pottery. The evocative imagery and intensity is conveyed well through a combination of beautiful phrases.
-------------

Title: "Love Haiuku"

Comments: I love it! And who hasn't felt like this from time to time? Wonderfully humorous without being forced.
-------------

Title: "My Kind of Forever"

Comments: These words would be great set to music or heard aloud. Very intense.
--------------

Member: Gary Wagner
Title: "Marriage Flames"

Comments: Splendid and deeply felt. I would have given it a perfect score, but the line '"Till death" arrives prematurely' made me think that one of them died, which initially confused me through the rest.
Score: 19/20------------

Member: Creator7

Mechanics: 2.5/5
Comments: I like poems that capture a moment in time that might otherwise seem inconseqential. The last two lines are especially nice. A few misspellings did lead to distraction, but these and the development of further detail can be easily corrected.
Score: 13.5/20
-------------

Member:
tRanCe

Comments: The comma placement was off and some of the word choice was forced through the rhyme scheme, but overall this is a nice poem that conveys a gambit of emotion.

--------------
Member: OasisWriter
Title: "Adoration Forevermore"

Comments: I certainly hope Chelsie swooned when she read this--how could she not? I think 2 or 3 poems could come from this epic one. It gets repetitive and rambling toward the end, but the emotion and affection is maintained throughout. Very sweet.
--------------

Originally Posted by BreezyWriter View Post
Title: Visions
Mechanics: 4 /5
Intangibles: 4 /5
Comments: Nicely put, the ending nicely explains the jelousy

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: _Zeb_
Title: No Title
Comments:The poem is not quite up to par. The first two sentences need to be rephrased. Though I could feel the rage in the two first paragraphs. There are several misspelled words. Even though there are several errors in the last phrase it is better written then the rest.
Member: Fun2learn
Title: A new-fangled feeling…
Comments: There were several errors in the poem. But the whole of it was nicely written.
Comments: True love nicely written. Though the structure of you sentences take away from its beauty. By putting a full sentence on each line. Your peom would merite a 20
Title: "The love of my life"
Mechanics: 2/5
Comments: The poem was nice. Only there were several sentences that were impossible. With a few changes in would be better.
Title: 19th of January 2002
Intangibles: 2/5
Comments: Half of the poem is very understandable but half of it leads to wonder the meaning behind the words.
Score: 13/20
Title: Finding Faith
Comments: Nicely written
Member: PrincessKLS
Title: What's real love?
Overall Impression: 8 /10
Comments: Nicely put, but lacks in structure
Title: That Autumn Night
Comments: Nice poem, but seeing as you were putting it in the first person it would have finished nicely if it would have finished And I’m still falling!
Title: 'Potters'
Comments:One moment it feels like jelousy then memories of a passionate love, then next it feels like tender love. Though some of the words broke the poem.
Member:Kriss Nichol
Title: Love Haiku
Comments: Your Haiku is nicely put but sorry, soles and toilet paper don’t go well with love and yes it does go well with a lost love.
Member: Iwright
Title: My Kind of Foreve
Comments: The first part is the best only needs one small change. As for the rest it just prolongs and repeats what was said in the beginning.
Member:Gary Wagner
Title: Marriage Flames
Comments: Wonderfully put.
Member:Creator 7
Title: untitled
Overall Impression: 10 /10
Comments: Really nicely put though in this part I would have written “Living a fantasy through my eyes” But then that’s just me.
Comments: I liked a lot of the poem even though some of the wording was off. Several words felt like they were placed there just to give it wording.
Member: Oasis Writer
Title: Adoration Forevermore
Comments:Wonderful piece of writing. Though it would have been even more beautiful had it been said towards the loved one. Unforetunetly there were several words that broke up the poem(missing words). But for the most part it was wonderful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Member: nathan101085
Title: untitled
Intangibles: 4 /5
Overall Impression:10/10

Comments: Nice it needed some rereading to understand the whole meaning of the poem. I was happily surprised with the end. Which I found brought the poem to a nice understanding ending

Originally Posted by OnceUponATime View Post
My Scores for the Feb Poetry contest:

Title: "Visions"
Comments: Very nice - short and to-the-point. Would have liked a few more images on the love interest other than 'a blonde,' but nicely done just the same.
-------------

Comments: Lovely poem, great job on evoking empathy. A little more creative imagery is called for, but otherwise, a very thoughtful and sweet bit of writing here.
-------------

Title: "A New-Fangled Feeling"
Comments: Really liked this one. Terrific imagery and liked how there's a comma left at the end, leaving the sentiments open-ended and the possibility of more to come. Great work!
--------------

Comments: Good writing, but to me it lacked a solid pace/flow to it. Emotion and imagery is there, but could be stronger. Nice job, keep writing.
-------------

Title: "The Love of My Life"
Comments: Good poem here but a few mechanical errors and pacing issues. Felt a bit 'rambling.' Imagery could be stronger. Overall, the sentiments came across very well, so with a little revision, this could be a terrific piece.
--------------

Title: "The 19th of January, 2002"
Comments: Excellent writing - no nits whatsoever from me. Liked the imagery of the ring and the verse itself flowed very well when read aloud. Again, top-notch work.
--------------

Title: "Finding Faith"
Comments: Unique structure - I liked that. The beginning felt a little "rambling" to me, but it wound up nicely in the end.
--------------

Title: "What's Real Love?"
Comments: Interesting bit of writing on the meaning of love and how its different for everyone. It didn't reach out and 'grab me,' however, so maybe a little more 'edgy' imagery is called for. Nice work, keep writing.
-------------

Comments: Loved this - romance described in terms of a shadow loving a silhouette. Short but sweet; a lovely poem. Adored the last line.
------------

Title: "That Autumn Night"
Comments: A little problem with pacing/flow when read aloud, some needless word repetition here and there (swing/swinging), but a nice illustration of first love. Great job, keep writing!
-------------

Title: "Potters"
Comments: Some interesting imagery in this one, liked the 'garden' theme. Nicely done!
-------------

Title: "Love Haiuku"
Comments: I loved this - a heart attached to a "sole" like a piece of toilet paper. A refreshing and humorous take on the topic of love. This one says it all!
-------------

Title: "My Kind of Forever"
Comments: I liked the structure inn this one, flowed very well up until the second-to-last stanza, which sort of threw the rhythm off for me. Overall, nice work, though. Keep writing!
--------------

Member: Gary Wagner
Title: "Marriage Flames"
Comments: Interesting structure to this one, but one line, 'replace the depleted fuel' sounded off-kilter to me. Overall, a terrific piece, thanks for the read.
------------

Member: Creator7
Comments: A little choppy, flow & punctuation needs some adjustment. Good emotion here, though. Obsession always makes for a great romance poem. Keep writing.
-------------

Comments: Good rhyming here but the meter's a little off. Liked the traditional style of this piece. Good work!

--------------
Member: OasisWriter
Title: "Adoration Forevermore"
Comments: A little long but very well-written. Like the emotion and sentiment shown. Great rhyming skills, good meter. Could use a little more power expressed in the imagery, but overall, an excellent read.
--------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Old 03-02-2007, 03:37 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Cheers for the feedback guys. (Now I know who to kill... )

On a sidenote, I haven't seen the winners around much, I hope they remain active members otherwise it could be pretty crap.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 AM
gary_wagner

Congratulations, Nathan and Kriss. Good work.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

It's always really depressing when winners never come back....

|
|
|
Old 03-02-2007, 11:18 AM
creator_7 (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 5

well i was not a winner but i love wb so i will be around for some time to come.

here is a revision of my poem for icarus

My eyes ever so slightly caress your skin

Yet I look from a distance

My mind racing with thoughts of you

Do I make your heart race?

Do I touch your soul?

Or am I just a simple onlooker

Lost among the crowd

The answers to these questions may ever elude me

But for that moment when our eyes met in the crowd

You where ie and I was yours
If you want happiness for an hour; take a nap. If you want happiness for a day; go fishing. If you want happiness for a month; get married. If you want happiness for a year; inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime; help someone else.

To believe in one's dreams is to spend all of one's life asleep
Old 03-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

I like that revision! And I'm glad to know people actually go through these comments.

|
|
|
Old 03-05-2007, 12:47 AM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

Nice work judging and giving feedback. Thanks for considering my poem.
Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests