WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

What's your favorite author?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.
Default What's your favorite author?

Hey.

What's your favorite book and series (if you have one), of all time?
I can never pick one, so, I break the books I read into categories and pick from them.

My favorite romance would probably have to be 'A Walk to Remember' by Nicholas Sparks. Or, 'Perfect Chemistry' by Simone Elkeles.

My favorite series is Vampire Academy. (I know what you're thinking, oh, she's a Twilight fan. Well, I was, until I read this series. This series blows Twilight right out of the water. )

Who is your favorite author?
My favorite author is Richelle Mead. I love her writing style, and I think her ideas for books are really creative.

Also, who do you think your writing emulates?
I think my writing is a combination of different authors I've read over the years. The writing style I adopted was probably from Richelle Mead, Simone Elkeles, and Nicholas Sparks.

What author is your 'model' for writing your story?
My model is Richelle Mead. Just something about her writing style I like.

Happy Reading!
-Writing.Geek.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

I feel like a fanboy, but whatever...

My favorite novel is The Tommyknockers, by Stephen King.

My favorite series is The Dark Tower, by Stephen King.

I don't necessarily model myself after Stephen King, but I prefer my writing to be heavy in terms of character and character interaction. I don't mind if my plot is mediocre as long as my characters are life-like and the dialogue is so believable it makes you cry, grin, laugh, or fume... depending on the circumstances, of course.

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 07-15-2010, 08:41 AM
evilclonier (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 69

I can't pick one favourite book, so I'll have to say two:

JRR Tolkien- Lord of the Rings. This is a work of pure genius and is one of the greatest literary texts of all time, the characters, plot, and everything about the series is sublime.

Douglas Adams- The Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy (Trilogy in five parts)- this is a work of comic genius, utterly brilliant.

Another author and series that I feel are worthy of mention is Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch Series. Dark fantasy, really awesome stuff.

When I write prose I find myself trying to emulate different authors, sometimes some of Douglas Adam's writing style works its way in.

There we have it. I encourage you to read any of the books I have mentioned, they are all very good.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:01 AM
paquitin (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

well i found this one guy at www.--.com he's really good his name is Jace.

Last edited by Firefly; 07-19-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Old 07-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

What's my favourite author?

Well, I've always been very partial to canine writers, so it's a good bet that my favourite author is a dog. Though coming in close second is a cinder block.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Chazzhart (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 28

I had to lol at Winterbite... thats EXACTLY what I came in here to write.

As for the original question...

I loved the VA series until I read Rachelle Meade's Dark swan series.... Now that is by far my fave,. It's not as tame as the VA series. I'm just disappointed that it will only be 4 books long.
I have yet to read her sucubus series yet though. So that one may be even better.

I also really like J R Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Although after 7 books it is starting to get a little stupid.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

I'd have to give 3 favorite series, but even to cut it back to that is difficult for me, lol.

In no particular order:

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan. I know, I know - you can start throwing stones, now.
I'm a huge fan of Anne Bishop, but her best series is the Black Jewels series.
and I'm a huge fan of the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull.

You can probably look at that list and see why I write YA. I don't think I emulate any of them, though.

If I had to say who I emulate, I would say it's a combination of Lois Duncan (probably my earliest writing influence), and Brandon Mull. I wish I could be as whimsical as J.K. Rowling, but I just don't have that gene....

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 07-16-2010, 07:30 PM
Reddy Dean (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 60

You have nothing to be shamed about in liking the Harry Potter series. It's a tremendous set of books.

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that." - Stephen King
Old 07-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Rei (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 257

Originally Posted by Winterbite View Post
What's my favourite author?

Well, I've always been very partial to canine writers, so it's a good bet that my favourite author is a dog. Though coming in close second is a cinder block.
Darn. Made the joke I wanted to make.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Yes, I love the HP series, too, but I just read the last two books. I couldn't get into the first one. But, I love the characters and the plot of the whole thing.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Originally Posted by Writing.Geek. View Post
Yes, I love the HP series, too, but I just read the last two books. I couldn't get into the first one. But, I love the characters and the plot of the whole thing.

Thank you.

I will read them over and over throughout my life. I've read some of them 3 times, but some only 1 time. But I will always come back to reading them.

In fact, that's how I picked my top 3 - they are series that I will always come back and read again. I've read the entire Black Jewels series at least 4 times (that's more adult, dark fantasy, though - compared with my usual YA picks) and I have only read Fablehaven once each, but the last one just came out in March, so it's newer, but I'll come back to it and read it over and over - I know I will. (btw, if you're HP fans, you should read FH - you'll love them!)

Also The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. Not so much Twilight, although I did enjoy the series once. But The Host, I'll read over and over. I know I will. I loved it.

Cancer mom blog:
Writer blog:
Old 07-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864

Latley, for pure entertainment reading, I have taken to reading both Walter Mosley and Michael Connelly. It's pulp, but of it's respective genre it is the best written of it's kind, in my opinion.

Well defined characters draw you in and the desciptive passages give you a feel for the time and place of the action. The work has a philosophical bent to it that correlates nicely to the characters personalities. It fits the action and reactions of the characters.

Outside of that, I enjoy reading some of the old classics. Steinbeck, as of late.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Blithe (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 15

I don't have a favorite book, really, but my favorite series is Harry Potter, by far. I grew up reading them and watching the movies, so it's a bit like part of my childhood I can continue to revisit. I still love the books just as much as I did when I first read them.

I also love To Kill A Mockingbird, it's a phenomenal book. I read it for summer homework my sophomore year of high school and was one of the few students who actually enjoyed it.

In terms of modeling myself after authors, I'd say my role models are J.K Rowling, Tamora Peirce, Scott Westerfield, and Kristin Cashore. I don't try to imitate them, exactly, but I try to learn from their writing styles.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Blithe:
I know. I don't try to imitate the authors I like, I just try to learn from their writing style to create/modify my own. I think reading really helps develop a writing style.

Happy Writing!
Writing.Geek.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM
Blithe (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 15

Originally Posted by Writing.Geek. View Post
Blithe:
I know. I don't try to imitate the authors I like, I just try to learn from their writing style to create/modify my own. I think reading really helps develop a writing style.
Exactly, that's the same thing I do. Imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery, but it isn't the best way to launch a writing career. Reading is definitely the first step to improving your writing, though.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Darn. Made the joke I wanted to make.
Gotta get up mighty early to get past me
Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 PM
amzolt (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Misunderstood...

My favorite author is C. J. Cherryh
Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 PM
JBStone (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 50

Oooh. Alex Trebek would kill you for the title of this thread.

It's really hard to pick one author, though. I could say Stephen King because of what his Dark Tower series, and his brilliant short stories meant to me, but I could say Judy Blume just as easily for Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and Superfudge. I could say George R R Martin because A Song of Ice and Fire made me feel like a kid again. Or China Mieville because The Scar taught me that substance does not have to be devoid of style in genre fiction.

Any of 'em. Pick one.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe