WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Should Batman should be in the True Crime genre?

Old 03-29-2017, 04:23 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 356
Default Should Batman should be in the True Crime genre?

Batman is a nut-bag, there is no doubt about it, Spider-Man fights anthropomorphic versions of other animals, Dr Octopus, Lizard, Rhino, Vulture etc, Wolverine fights people who have issues with a feral side, like Sabretooth, Feral, Wildchild etc. Batman spends his time fighting people from Arkham Asylum.

The Joker points this out to Batman all the time, that there is something queer about him dressing up in a funky outfit and taking out his anger management issues on the poor and downtrodden. Batman obviously "gets off" on doing so, probably his version of erotica.

But there are elements in Batman's behaviour that can coincidentally be seen in other business folk, like Pablo Escobar, the Cali Cartel, Bankers, Property Investors etc

Is Batman's psyche a metaphor for all these kinds of people? Why is Batman portrayed as a hero?

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-29-2017, 04:52 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,218

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Batman is a nut-bag, there is no doubt about it, Spider-Man fights anthropomorphic versions of other animals, Dr Octopus, Lizard, Rhino, Vulture etc, Wolverine fights people who have issues with a feral side, like Sabretooth, Feral, Wildchild etc. Batman spends his time fighting people from Arkham Asylum.

The Joker points this out to Batman all the time, that there is something queer about him dressing up in a funky outfit and taking out his anger management issues on the poor and downtrodden. Batman obviously "gets off" on doing so, probably his version of erotica.

But there are elements in Batman's behaviour that can coincidentally be seen in other business folk, like Pablo Escobar, the Cali Cartel, Bankers, Property Investors etc

Is Batman's psyche a metaphor for all these kinds of people? Why is Batman portrayed as a hero?

Batman started in 1939.

He wore a revolver.

He would question bad guys on the roof tops of multi story apartment buildings.

Sometimes the bad guys would be allowed by Batman to hit the streets one last time.

Yeah, no stairs used.

Back then (other than the costume - and who doesn't like to dress up?) he was like a normal guy intent on fighting crime.

Uh, what was the question?
PickleBottom (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 04:52 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

Whoops I made a miss-steak with the Title, there should only be one should
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-29-2017, 04:59 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 686

Maybe Mo will come back and fix it for you. Maybe not.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2017, 05:00 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Batman started in 1939.

He wore a revolver.

He would question bad guys on the roof tops of multi story apartment buildings.

Sometimes the bad guys would be allowed by Batman to hit the streets one last time.

Yeah, no stairs used.

Back then (other than the costume - and who doesn't like to dress up?) he was like a normal guy intent on fighting crime.

Uh, what was the question?
The Batman that I grew up with was filthy rich, and would beat the shit out of poor people who are doing exactly what the rich people (including Batman) of the same city are doing (but only when rich people do it, it is legal).
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-29-2017, 05:00 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Maybe Mo will come back and fix it for you. Maybe not.
Are there any admins left?
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-29-2017, 05:16 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 686

Mo hasn't logged in in a while. He was the last, I think.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:17 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 686

It's better without mods anyway.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:02 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

Isn't it funny, that in the absence of no authority and "at the end of the world" (for this site) I do not feel the urge to start abusing and molesting other people...
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (03-29-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:59 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 686

I never abuse people unless they are posting some kind of ridiculous see-through agenda under the guise of an alternative world view. Those people need a spanking. Really stupid people I usually feel sorry for. Ah, to be stupid...
Old 03-29-2017, 07:08 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

I never abuse people unless they are posting some kind of ridiculous see-through agenda under the guise of an alternative world view. Those people need a spanking. Really stupid people I usually feel sorry for. Ah, to be stupid...
I think the advantage for me is I can now ask all the questions I really want to ask without the post being removed from the Intellekchual Table!

Because, really, politics is the least Intellekchual activity in society, but it is always considered so. Mass religion is dumb as well, how the fuck it still survives in a modern society with access to the internet, but even still, society aside, how is it allowed on the Intellekchual Table?

But if I ask a really intellekchual question, like "which is faster Stephen Hawking in a rocket propelled Pagini Zonda or a genetically modified greyhound (with the genes of The Flash)?" Then suddenly I am not being intellekchual.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (03-29-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:38 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,218

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
The Batman that I grew up with was filthy rich, and would beat the shit out of poor people who are doing exactly what the rich people (including Batman) of the same city are doing (but only when rich people do it, it is legal).
I figure he had to sell out to the big boys to keep operating.
PickleBottom (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:41 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,218

Just how long does a spanking go on for and can the spankee choose the spanker?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:43 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,218

It's better without mods anyway.

A self governing entity.

Such a concept.

And here it is in a reality.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:39 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 356

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
I figure he had to sell out to the big boys to keep operating.
Yeah, I have been reading up on Colombian drug cartels recently, my presumption, based on this information, is either,

1) The police are in cahoots with Batman, cf los pepes. Batman can do what the police are not allowed to, due to legal mumbo jumbo. Thus the police provide Batman with information for Batman to act on.

2) Batman is paying off the police to look sideways to his urges to beat up, harass, molest, assault poor people.

Of the two, Number 1) is more likely, but I am leaning towards Number 2), as Batman already has a lot of technology dedicated to surveillance. If he hears of some poor chap trying to get some agency, he would be on them faster than a person that takes a longer time to act.

Number 1) has more evidence as the Police can send up a Bat Signal when they are in distress. Unlike los pepes, where the authorities attempted to keep this under wraps, the police of Gotham city demonstrate to the whole city that if any poor people fuck around, they are going to send up a signal to a thug dressed in black to beat the shit out of them.
-George Bernard Shaw

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table