WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

One world government

Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 366

Originally Posted by moonpunter View Post
Who do you think processes checks, writes reports, and does research for the Congresspersons and judges? The swarm of little people. 😁
Exactly, they (should) put into place what the elected representatives are elected to perform. That is their service and duty.

But let's have a look at government in more detail;

-Most US citizens (in today's climate and understanding) would not vote for a government who will increase unemployment
-The highest cost on most US big business budgets is the salary component (within the country of origin - rather than the use of slave labour from other countries)
-As a result US big business is moving towards automation and as a consequence an increase in unemployment of the people within the country of origin

Thus, the society gets something they would not vote for, and the reason this is so, is Government is ineffectual relative to big business. If the Government was effective they would do something to solve this issue.

If you gave this issue to a three year old, with some slight mental retardation and a pick axe lodged through their cerebral cortex, after a time of thinking on the problem (0.3 nano-seconds), the child would come up with a better solution to solve the problem than the government.

Given that the government's usual solution to this issue is to pander to the big business...

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
We once had a president who could do both.

And at the same time.

Okay.
He did have an assistant.
Yep, every job an intern does is related to sucking
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-20-2017, 04:14 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Could any of this be done by computers?
You think they still use typewriters and adding machines? 😁
Old 03-20-2017, 04:16 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Exactly, they (should) put into place what the elected representatives are elected to perform. That is their service and duty.

But let's have a look at government in more detail;

-Most US citizens (in today's climate and understanding) would not vote for a government who will increase unemployment
-The highest cost on most US big business budgets is the salary component (within the country of origin - rather than the use of slave labour from other countries)
-As a result US big business is moving towards automation and as a consequence an increase in unemployment of the people within the country of origin

Thus, the society gets something they would not vote for, and the reason this is so, is Government is ineffectual relative to big business. If the Government was effective they would do something to solve this issue.

If you gave this issue to a three year old, with some slight mental retardation and a pick axe lodged through their cerebral cortex, after a time of thinking on the problem (0.3 nano-seconds), the child would come up with a better solution to solve the problem than the government.

Given that the government's usual solution to this issue is to pander to the big business...
What solution is there? Outlaw technology? Everyone go Amish? 😁
The Following User Says Thank You to moonpunter For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:50 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

What solution is there? Outlaw technology? Everyone go Amish? 😁
Well if there were a mentally retarded toddler present, oh wait is that me? Well, personally I would introduce homeostasis into the system to avoid the system developing any cancer.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

You think they still use typewriters and adding machines? 😁
No. That is not what I think.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

No. That is not what I think.
Do you think? 😛
Old 03-20-2017, 09:12 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

Here's another question,

How come it is ok for us to live under a Big Business dictatorship, but not ok for other countries to live under cruel merciless dictators like that North Korean guy - whathisname?

In the US people get upset when they read of the North Korean brutal dictator mauling family members with doberman pinschers and nerve agents, and shake their heads when they see this fella's face plastered on walls and billboards. But in the US, a large business can legally torture a citizen for ~30 years and their CEOs will be celebrated on the front cover of Fortune Magazine.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2017, 02:36 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Do you think? 😛
I think I do.

Or is that: I think, I do?

But I diverse.

Do you have a definition of thinking to share with the rest of us?
Old 03-21-2017, 02:39 AM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

I think I do.

Or is that: I think, I do?

But I diverse.
You diverse? 😁
Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Here's another question,

How come it is ok for us to live under a Big Business dictatorship, but not ok for other countries to live under cruel merciless dictators like that North Korean guy - whathisname?

In the US people get upset when they read of the North Korean brutal dictator mauling family members with doberman pinschers and nerve agents, and shake their heads when they see this fella's face plastered on walls and billboards. But in the US, a large business can legally torture a citizen for ~30 years and their CEOs will be celebrated on the front cover of Fortune Magazine.

Well, of course neither of these practices between master and slave is acceptable outside of the dungeon but I think (heh) that a more salient approach to the posited phenomena is why do we entertain this state of affairs?

Do we really believe that "vote" is an effective safe word?
PickleBottom (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

Well, of course neither of these practices between master and slave is acceptable outside of the dungeon but I think (heh) that a more salient approach to the posited phenomena is why do we entertain this state of affairs?

Do we really believe that "vote" is an effective safe word?
I watched a docco on a photojournalist once who wanted to show the horror of war, but he refused to take pictures of executions as he did not want to appear to condone these acts. That is what voting does, it gives the impression the public supports their actions.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2017, 02:11 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Arsenio Hall, back when he had a show, was being taken to task by another (can't remember who) comrade of similar stature for not voting.

Conversation went sorta like this:

Why don't you vote?

Because someone always has their foot up our ass. All voting does is choose the style of the shoe.

Kinda felt something new for Arsenio after that.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

Arsenio Hall, back when he had a show, was being taken to task by another (can't remember who) comrade of similar stature for not voting.

Conversation went sorta like this:

Why don't you vote?

Because someone always has their foot up our ass. All voting does is choose the style of the shoe.

Kinda felt something new for Arsenio after that.
Yep, all I see when I look around the world are different types of dictatorships, different forms of the same theme; a few greedy butt-munches not being able to handle other people having a society and/or agency.

As an audience member rather than a participant it is a pretty boring movie, I wonder which douche bag is going to get to the top next to screw other people?
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Yep, all I see when I look around the world are different types of dictatorships, different forms of the same theme; a few greedy butt-munches not being able to handle other people having a society and/or agency.

As an audience member rather than a participant it is a pretty boring movie, I wonder which douche bag is going to get to the top next to screw other people?

Actually, I'm waitin' for massive contact with an on par alien race.

The scramblin', dancin', cavortin, machinations of the no longer solo dominant race will be the second most notable event of this lifetime.

Yeah, I know, my optimism has the half life of uranium (uh, the 238 kind ).
Old 03-21-2017, 04:42 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

Actually, I'm waitin' for massive contact with an on par alien race.

The scramblin', dancin', cavortin, machinations of the no longer solo dominant race will be the second most notable event of this lifetime.

Yeah, I know, my optimism has the half life of uranium (uh, the 238 kind ).
Yeah it would be an interesting idea, having aliens come to our planet, when our planet gets the ability to return the favour all the other alien civilizations will already be extinct...
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Yeah it would be an interesting idea, having aliens come to our planet, when our planet gets the ability to return the favour all the other alien civilizations will already be extinct...

We (Earthlings) will be on Mars within 10 years.

Possibility of a neutral ground hook up not as unlikely as the Earthbound intelligentsia would have us believe, I believe.

Just sayin'.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

We (Earthlings) will be on Mars within 10 years.

Possibility of a neutral ground hook up not as unlikely as the Earthbound intelligentsia would have us believe, I believe.

Just sayin'.
Well programs like SETI need to be realistic and only communicate with planets within an appreciable distance from Earth, for example if Earth found a nice planet 26,000 light years away and sent out a message, in 52,000 years time we will get a response back, "Yeah, we are doing good, how about you?".

The other thing to consider is that there are only few times in the Earth's history where we have been civilised enough to be considered a civilisation, I have heard rumours of a civilisation in the Indus Valley and the Ancient Greeks weren't too bad (relative to us), so in effect there is only ~1,000-2,000 year window where we can find a civilisation.

But the other possibility is to create a mass so large in the intervening space between ours and the aliens, to draw the two together.
-George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by PickleBottom; 03-21-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Old 03-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Well programs like SETI need to be realistic and only communicate with planets within an appreciable distance from Earth, for example if Earth found a nice planet 26,000 light years away and sent out a message, in 52,000 years time we will get a response back, "Yeah, we are doing good, how about you?".
Mars is a nice planet. Yes, I know the perception is no one is there. But how is it we are so certain no one is nearby?

By using our current observational technology?

Hmm.
What are the odds that a masking technology is not at work out there?
PickleBottom (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Mars is a nice planet. Yes, I know the perception is no one is there. But how is it we are so certain no one is nearby?

Hmm.

And how far away is Mars in current travel time?

Less than one year.
PickleBottom (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

Hmm.
Possibly, but if the aliens are sufficiently advanced to ensure we do not find them (and motivated to do so), than presuming the aliens are not there or trying to find them is approximately equal.

But anywho, with SETI they are trying to detect signals of civilization from other planets*, but IMO, SETI should only focus on stars etc of a certain distance from Earth (if they actually want to enable communication). Alpha Centauri (from memory) is about 4 light years away, if there were a civilization there, a signal will take ~4 years. Thus, if SETI started bombarding Alpha Centauri with messages 8 years ago to let them know we are here, they should only be expecting to hear a response now.

Also, if, on Alpha Centauri, there is a civilization, similar to ours, it is also important, that in the entire history of our civilization, we may have only made our existence known to the universe (in my understanding) within the last 100 years (radio signals etc) and we have only utilised dishes to pick up radio etc signals from space for less than this period of time. There is the chance that they are not as civilised as us. Vice versa, if we listen to Alpha Centauri and they are our "equivalent" of the middle ages, we will need to listen for 100s more years until we start hearing a signal.

Therefore, what SETI would have to do is, only focus on and/or bombard as many ~10 light year distance stars from us, repeatedly to increase the chance of i) finding an alien civilization and ii) finding an alien civilization advanced enough to receive our signal, and iii) finding an alien civilization advanced enough to interpret our signal and respond.

But, regardless of everything above, I actually like the idea of SETI, and it would be extraordinary to find something.

*It would not be a bad thing if SETI found signals from a civilization from stars over 26,000 light years away, because this would be an extraordinary achievement in that they will prove life exists on other planets. But depending on what is in those signals may make any further utilisation of this knowledge impossible. If the signal contained an historical document of that planet, that would be cool, but if the signal was just, "How's it going champ?" less so.
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-02-2017, 05:55 AM
Myers (Online)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 213

Benevolent dictatorship is almost an oxymoron. To hold on to power, a dictator will inevitably resort to brutality, squashing civil liberties and scapegoating etc. to suppress all opposition. Otherwise, that's usually how you become a dictator in the first place...

The only possible exception would be if I was the benevolent dictator, because I tend to be a pretty nice guy.

Last edited by Myers; 04-02-2017 at 05:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 06:22 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

[QUOTE=Myers

The only possible exception would be if I was the benevolent dictator, because I tend to be a pretty nice guy.

[/QUOTE]

You could have my vote.

Of course, as a dictator you would take it anyhow.
Just tryin' to keep up the facade of democratic process.
Say, could I be the Special State Envoy to Bimini?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:28 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 213

Absolutely! And I'll give you a hefty raise before you even start. How's that for benevolence?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:36 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 213

Oh, and remember I said, I might be a "possible exception" -- so don't do anything to upset me. I'm going to open a reeducation camp or two, just in case. Of course, they'll be nice reeducation camps.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:10 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 366

Well everyone complains about resources this and issues that, but presumably a person could soon very well be uploaded onto a server and ran through a simulation allowing them agency and a reasonable amount of resources etc.

I would prefer a Matrix-style world with agency, or a fantasy, rather than this ill-thought out reality.
-George Bernard Shaw

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table