WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Do we want to make Writer's Beat Great Again?

View Poll Results: Can We and Do We want to Make Writer's Beat Great Again?
Let's come up with a plan and move forward! 5 62.50%
Wait and see what CrowdGather does with the forum. 0 0%
Let it run whatever course it has. Let some answer there own posts forever. 1 12.50%
It's dead. Will the last person to leave the Intellectual table turn off the lights? 2 25.00%
Let CrowdGather know that it was a good ride, but they can turn it off! 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2017, 01:35 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 345

But now that you mention it, I am developing a character who is very thin-skinned, extremely argumentative -- and he puts his own bizarre spin on everything people say to him.

Maybe I can find some inspiration in the IT after all...

The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Mohican (05-05-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:04 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,041

I know Myers... We ALL know...but please don't upset BP again with your insensitive comments. .

Every time he gets upset, he goes and buys another cat . Its driving his wife crazy. There's so much cat litter around their house, it's like trying to vacuum a gravel driveway.

He's an emotional man - especially when his chakras are spinning out of alignment and Uranus moves into his birth sign.

But...y'know...he's a talented writer, so free pass. He's a lovable chimp - and all chimps fling their own shit through the bars of their cage now and again.

Just keep your mouth closed and your sandwiches wrapped in cellophane.
Myers (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 03:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
But now that you mention it, I am developing a character who is very thin-skinned, extremely argumentative -- and he puts his own bizarre spin on everything people say to him.

I think you might have a hard time finding one of those characters around here now. I keep hoping Gaines or Moonpunter or you will say something stupid I can work on, but so far everyone is playing nice. It's like goddamed harmony central around here!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (05-05-2017), Myers (05-04-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I think you might have a hard time finding one of those characters around here now. I keep hoping Gaines or Moonpunter or you will say something stupid I can work on, but so far everyone is playing nice. It's like goddamed harmony central around here!!
At least some people here still post. Go over to writers.net, another CrowdGather-owned site, and no one's posted for almost a month. That's what happens when you drive off the most energetic posters and new people aren't coming in. The death sprial pretty much started the same way with technical issues and closing off the "everything goes" forum that drove a lot of the established users away. I was pretty much the last "drunk uncle" they ran from the site and now no one hardly posts at all. Discord can make a pretty good catalyst.
The Following User Says Thank You to moonpunter For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 04:44 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

Originally Posted by moonpunter View Post
At least some people here still post. Go over to writers.net, another CrowdGather-owned site, and no one's posted for almost a month. That's what happens when you drive off the most energetic posters and new people aren't coming in. The death sprial pretty much started the same way with technical issues and closing off the "everything goes" forum that drove a lot of the established users away. I was pretty much the last "drunk uncle" they ran from the site and now no one hardly posts at all. Discord can make a pretty good catalyst.

I registered at writers.net and made a couple posts when this place was shut down. Wow! What a fucking ghost town!

Reading through some of the old posts, there were some really good critics there at one time. Oh well.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:35 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 345

Absolute Write seems fairly busy -- although not as busy as it used to be. Same with writingforums.com.

In the case of the latter, the owner is very involved. I think that's what makes the difference.

I think brianpatrick is right though, traffic is way down on all the specialty forums -- and facebook is probably the reason why.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:35 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 643

Originally Posted by Myers View Post

You're writing a book about a "fictional" tRUMP character?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 643
Icon10

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Yeah... those fake 'intellectuals' can be a pain in the ass.

I got a degree in intellectualism at the university of James Joyce, Robert Heinlein, and Douglas Adams. So, unlike these posers, man, I'm legit.
do you ever have rotor cuff issues from patting yourself on the back?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:56 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
do you ever have rotor cuff issues from patting yourself on the back?

No, I have rotator cuff problems from plumbing for 28 years though. They want me to get surgery but I'm putting it off as long as possible.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 215
Default nooooooo, it's not true.

shiet, i've already said my few bit on this topic. don't take it down. let's all slow down and think about how much fun the beat always is and has been.

imho, you've all been nothing but sweeties and flying buttercups. so don't leave a little chitter bulb all alone in the fields, no wreckage nor ruin here, persay. the site got weathered, but don't surrender. if you boys think you're the only ones, i'm here to, participating in the riffraff.

...i'm still in denial

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
Old 06-26-2017, 11:57 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 215
Default nooooooo, it's not true.

shiet, i've already said my few bit on this topic. don't take it down. let's all slow down and think about how much fun the beat always is and has been.

imho, you've all been nothing but sweeties and flying buttercups. so don't leave a little chitter bulb all alone in the fields, no wreckage nor ruin here, persay. the site got weathered, but don't surrender. if you boys think you're the only ones, i'm here to, participating in the riffraff.

...i'm still in denial and may the beat live on ever and evermore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
Old 06-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 357

Yeah. What she said. Twice.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
Old 06-27-2017, 07:02 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 842

I'm confused... am I a buttercup? Or a riffraff?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 357

I think the top-knot says it all.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (06-27-2017), Mohican (07-04-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:53 AM
donnaf (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 219

I haven't been here in ages but it is good to see the site is still here. I was a member in several other groups a while back but Writer's Beat was/is my favorite. I think it is still worth coming here.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 PM
KBR (Offline)

Thanks 655

I'd like to see the beat return. I've been to other sites, and they are fairly lame compared to the beat that was. I think that goodhearted banter was an important part of the dynamic that made the beat a fun destination. But banter isn't vitriol. A spirited discussion can be fun. Hateful language is destructive and will bring the site down.

The site also needs to have good criticism. Banter alone won't buoy a sinking site that is predicated on the notion that you can come here, listen to the other writers' critiques of your work, and then, become a better writer yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to KBR For This Useful Post:
donnaf (06-29-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 42

Nice that it hasn't sunk without trace. I was part of this place years ago, under a different name, and even now I can't keep away. I certainly never settled into any other writing forum.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:05 PM
CandraH

Good to see some new/old faces back on the scene
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Prodigalson (06-30-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table