WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Do we want to make Writer's Beat Great Again?

View Poll Results: Can We and Do We want to Make Writer's Beat Great Again?
Let's come up with a plan and move forward! 4 57.14%
Wait and see what CrowdGather does with the forum. 0 0%
Let it run whatever course it has. Let some answer there own posts forever. 1 14.29%
It's dead. Will the last person to leave the Intellectual table turn off the lights? 2 28.57%
Let CrowdGather know that it was a good ride, but they can turn it off! 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 618
Default Do we want to make Writer's Beat Great Again?

I'm the lone, remaining participating Staff member.

Since the server crash/half ass maintenance etc I've seen several "Writer's Beat is dying" threads.

Is it worth fixing?

Is it worth the time for Staff and Members to recruit?

Or has it run it's course?

Will your opinion change IF the forum board and it's technical issues are fixed?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:11 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

The real team left, and we're just the ball boys goofing around on the field.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Myers (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 217

The site needs a new owner. Otherwise, I don't hold out much hope. I don't think there's anything the members can do.

I wonder if it's for sale -- and how much they'd take for it?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Mohican.

I guess i'm the first vote. Strange feeling being first.

I have a few opinions on why WB should be saved. I've researched many writer's support forums. There is a huge population of writers on the net. When WB had many more members, in my opinion, it was because it appealed to a cross systen of writers, many of whom were just starting out, and a smaller number who had already got established (discovered their voices) and wanted to give back. Of all the forums I surveyed only WB welcomed the beginner. It was a worthwhile forum.

But there were problems. The biggest problem was trying to do too much. It promsed a Quarterly Magizine that never happened. It promised contests and reconition to winners that never happened. The moderators played the role of cops rather than mentors.

Yet, we banged along. When the IT forum came along it sucked all the enthusian out of the other forums. I pushed hard for the IT forum and now realize it helped kill the site. For those participating in IT they stoped their creative writing and put their engergies into ideas, attacking and defending them. And although I found meaning for my ideas in IT I seldom worked on my creative projects. In hindsight I see IT was a terrible idea. Anyway, that's my take.

I suspect that Crowdgather isn't interested in maintaining WB or they would have fixed the problems after moving it. I actually think that decision to abandon WB was made before the move, which is why no outreach was conducted to let us know of the downtime. They knew there'd be a drop in membership without prepping the members.

However, if there is enough interest generated in a 'newly designed' WB which will be better with more focus, and better outreadh (I'm not talking about Facebook here) they might be suduced into carrying us for the develmental period.

On the other hand, WB, under a new name, could make a deal with any number of writer oriented websites. (Crowdgather seems over committed with 'ganja' forums which may explain why they have such a hard time getting anything done.)

The moderators who left, and past moderators, would be the key to success of a new effort. If just a few of the current members expressed a desire for a 'newly improved forum' some of those moderators would come back to help.

Awh, hell! Those are my thoughts. But a voice in my head is saying 'Grow up. Everyhing dies. Be rational.'

But I also know that if there's a will with enough people they can do the impossible. So maybe I'll hear from others who want what I want. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:19 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

Hey Bill,

In all fairness you didn't see the forum when the original IT table was rolling. I just caught the tail end of it, and was never inside. The traffic that rolled out of there and posted in other threads was significant. It kept the place going, sort of like a room for the adults to drink and smoke and talk about adult things, and then stroll out and play with the kids some. Okay, it's a bad metaphor, but you get what I mean.

Last edited by brianpatrick; 01-23-2017 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 618

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
The site needs a new owner. Otherwise, I don't hold out much hope. I don't think there's anything the members can do.

I wonder if it's for sale -- and how much they'd take for it?
I don't even know who the owner is or who the original owner was. Mike C does know who the original owner was.

Mike had created another writers forum but it died in about a years time.

Out of curiosity, Myers - how do you envision a new owner firing this place back up?

From being involved in other forums - if the platform is updated to a new , up to date board I don't know if all the current posts/stories would transfer. If we went from Crowdgather over to something like Proboards then it would be a redo - with a mass email or redirect to a new host.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:14 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 618

There was a quarterly when I first started . It's not like it was promised and never delivered but it dropped off by the wayside, like the writing challenges dropped off.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:26 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

Mike's forum died because we were all friends. No controversy. No mle. Just a bunch of decent writers reading each other's stuff and patting each other on the back.

That doesn't work for long. Like Myers said, confident writers don't need a writing forum. Well, not for very long, or very often.

I know this sounds like I'm just advocating anarchy, but I'm not. I went through the same scenario in a trade forum. Big explosion in the political and religious thread, and then some mod closed it down (either by directions from above or mod consensus, dunno) and the place became a ghost town. Yes there are always some tricks of the trade that can be learned, but the traffic which kept people around was because of the P&R thread. Yeah, they bashed each other, and the mods had their hands full a lot, but those people also grew tired temporarily of the bashing and spent time in other threads before returning to the fight.

This forum could be remade by one or more motivated people with pretty much the same or similar maps of the original. It would take a lot of work. And somebody would have to force it into existence with their constant effort, until it relaunched itself. Took on a life of its own. Driving traffic here from other places would be a full time job for a while. For free. Just for the love of it.

Perhaps the current owner isn't fixing the place because it's just not worth it right now. Edit: I mean financially worth it.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:33 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Hey Bill,

In all fairness you didn't see the forum when the original IT table was rolling. I just caught the tail end of it, and was never inside. The traffic that rolled out of there and posted in other threads was significant. It kept the place going, sort of like a room for the adults to drink and smoke and talk about adult things, and then stroll out and play with the kids some. Okay, it's a bad metaphor, but you get what I mean.
Hi banpatrick. You're one of my favorite posters. Always 'steady as she goes...' It always calms me down.

I came here after IT was going through the aftermath of killing it. So I never even got to read any of it. And I agree, that this 2nd IT was a place where I could try out ideas and feel more welcome, in addition to to the many short stories I got excellent feedback on. i came here after being attacked at another writer's forum. While here I tried another forum and got silly feedback. So I decided that WB was as good as it was ever gonna get.

It seems many commenting on this thread don't know who owns WB. The owner has a website, Crowdgather.com The people here should check it out. WB isn't listed and you have to search there to find it. The ones they showcase are forums dealing with 'maryjoewana', also known as 'ganja' if you're a Rostifarian. I used to belong to that huge community of smokers but left to become a serious writer. But a toke now and then is okay. I believe WB is not high on their list.

If there's a future for WB I'm willing to participate but not to lead.

Have a nice writing day. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 618

Mike's forum didn't die because we were too respectful of one another. It died because it couldn't attract enough people to be deemed worthwhile.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:01 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 618

http://www.crowdgather.com/ lulz....

Old 01-24-2017, 05:57 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Mike's forum didn't die because we were too respectful of one another. It died because it couldn't attract enough people to be deemed worthwhile.

You're not paying attention.

True, but why is that?
Old 01-24-2017, 07:08 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

My forum died because there wasn't enough controversy, as brian suggested, but the knife in the back was lack of numbers - we never achieved critical mass.

On reflection I'm probably the worst person to offer any advice in this area - I was the guy who said Kindles were never going to take off, and that self-publishing would always be the poor cousin to getting a book deal (though I still believe the latter).

One question - how easy would it be to migrate the whole site to a different server? It wouldn't improve membership but would give back some control to those trying to keep the place alive.

Maybe the time of the forum is over. Maybe us old fuddy-duddies are just sticking with what's comfortable and ignoring the other avenues where younger and more savvy writers hang out, and maybe there is no way to restore the beat to it's former glory.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 217

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Out of curiosity, Myers - how do you envision a new owner firing this place back up?

From being involved in other forums - if the platform is updated to a new , up to date board I don't know if all the current posts/stories would transfer. If we went from Crowdgather over to something like Proboards then it would be a redo - with a mass email or redirect to a new host.
You just need to update the forum software - vBulletin. You go to a full screen -- and ideally a multi-device friendly, responsive design. I'm assuming a new owner would do that and also take reasonable steps to promote the site.

Also, if you've ever looked -- the other writing sites have more sections that pertain to other creative pursuits. I think a lot of writers are interested in the arts, so while a lot of people don't participate in the discussions, I think it attracts people initially.

I don't know -- a new owner who is interested on the site is likely going to do SOMETHING to shake things up and bring in new members -- as opposed to the current owners who seem to be mostly AWOL.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:20 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

There's the issue - "a new owner".

Crowdgather bought the forum from Dan, the guy who started it, for several thousand dollars. Presumably they've made their money in advertising in the last 8 years or so.

But if you want it, you're going to have to pay for it.

WB has only one thing that's worth a penny - the domain name.

IF one can back up the content and migrate it all to a different system, vbulletin or any other, you still have to have a place to park it, and it's going to need a new domain because you don't want to have to buy a valuable asset from crowdgather.

Running a forum costs peanuts in money, big in time. Trying to build membership is a total arse, believe me, and if you migrate to a different domain you have to make sure you take all members with you, and direct all new and returning members in the right direction.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 618

Mike - thank you for tracking down the ownership issue.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:30 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

No worries, I assumed at the time that Dan had sold it to an individual.

Dan's kind of sad that the beat is in decline, but he's moved on and seems to be doing well.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Crowdgather did the same thing with writers.net. They're essentially just squatters. They don't make improvements or do much more than keep the lights on, which is why writers.net is more of a ghost town than this place.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 347

Although I have been absent for the better part of three or four months, I would like to participate more. I would be interested in seeing what could be done as far as bringing control of the site back to the members, and fixing the technical issues.

Writer's Beat did a lot for me; I'd like to give something back.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:34 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

Long time Prod!

How goes it?

Not sure what can be done here. I think we lost critical mass?

Last edited by brianpatrick; 03-12-2017 at 04:57 PM..
Old 03-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 347

So it would seem. When did the technical issues begin? Before or after the drop-off?

As far as how goes it? I've been working six and seven days a week since the end of September, and see no end in sight. A fortune teller once told me that, when all my peers were set and settled, I would come into my own, and it looks like this may be the beginning of that.

How goes it for you?
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:42 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

Goes good... working the same, money hand over fist.

The tech problems popped up after the decline. There's been a resurgence recently, hampered by tech difficulties. I think.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)

Thanks 347

Yeah, I think that would have to be addressed. The fact that anyone still uses the site at all, in spite of its problems indicates to me that it could be saved.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,260

[QUOTE=Prodigalson

The fact that anyone still uses the site at all, in spite of its problems indicates to me that it could be saved.

[/QUOTE]

Dancin' with the one what brung me is all.

Any other way would not reflect well on my station as a gentleman.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:22 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 677

Has anyone got more than 9k posts... and if not, does Mike C win?

That would be a shame, since he always was a CUUUUUUNT!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 677

I just thought if I shouted cunt really loud he might show up, y'know, like the Candyman...
Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

Mike C. came back for a few posts a while ago. Didn't stay long. He's probably turned gay and is now enjoying a renewed sex life in his 70's.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:28 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Dancin' with the one what brung me is all.

Any other way would not reflect well on my station as a gentleman.

Originally Posted by Prodigalson View Post
Yeah, I think that would have to be addressed. The fact that anyone still uses the site at all, in spite of its problems indicates to me that it could be saved.

Yes, see gents?

I think you are right. Some of the old talented members are filtering back in. Not sure how many will stay with the current tech difficulties, but this site just won't die.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

"You can't go home again..."

Thomas Wolfe
Old 04-15-2017, 02:59 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 748

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
"You can't go home again..."

Thomas Wolfe

Yeah, I get that. It could never be the same for some of the OG's. It's changed, they've changed, and regaining that feeling is just not going to happen.

Honestly, I think the writing is on the wall for these types of forums. Instant communication and gratification through social media sites is taking them out.

Pretty soon we'll all be instantly in contact with every other person on the planet and waiting for a response or crit will seem useless and laughable. I hope this tech comes with a blow-job haptic suit.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table