WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 11-09-2016, 06:48 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

“Truth is sacred; and if you tell the truth too often nobody will believe it.”-G.K. Chesterton

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:25 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

For those that were in some stage of adulthood in 1990, did anyone in the US think that the government was too small and didn't do enough. (Ok, I know that in the advancing entitlement age people don't think the current Leviathan is doing enough but work with me here)

Why am I flashing back to 1990, and the size of the US government in 1990?

Because that is when the US hit the Trillion/year budget mark.

If we double that "Because Inflation) then perhaps we would be looking at all the wonders a two trillion a year budget could get us.

To get there, we'd have to cut spending roughly in half.

Hmmm. I'd be cool with that.... and all the chaos that would ensue....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:47 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 709

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Brian - don't worry about sending me money.....

Let me say that I am truly stunned by this election. Really really stunned. In one sense I am disappointed about being wrong, so wrong. But on another I am heartened by the fact that the American system of democracy still works (in a broken sort of Brexit way).

I really would like to see Trump drain the swamp. I'm still skeptical about that, but it would be encouraging if he actually did it.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,235

[QUOTE=brianpatrick

I really would like to see Trump drain the swamp.

[/QUOTE]

Ah, now you are stating the current development's potential.

Full marks, amigo.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:34 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Let me say that I am truly stunned by this election. Really really stunned. In one sense I am disappointed about being wrong, so wrong. But on another I am heartened by the fact that the American system of democracy still works (in a broken sort of Brexit way).

I really would like to see Trump drain the swamp. I'm still skeptical about that, but it would be encouraging if he actually did it.
"Murica is a continent, but if we want to refer to The United States as 'Murrica then I understand.

America is a representative republic with ZERO democracy at the national level.
Again, 'Murrica is not a democracy.

Sometimes there is direct democracy at a local or state level, but local Democracy can be quashed by State thugs in black dresses, just as State level direct democracy is quashed by unelected thugs in black dresses.

I kinda doubt tRUMP will have the national Justice Department pursue Hillary and staff for perfidy.

Edited to add
I hope for but doubt that "Justice" will pursue Eric Holder for his Fast and Furious Shenanigans, and the Bush Staff people before him that did the same thing.

I would like to see things that show the "rule of law" to be meaningfully applied across the board, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited by Mohican; 11-11-2016 at 06:56 AM..
Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Reason's I'm happy about tRUMP beating the presidency
1. He's not Hillary

2. If you go by his rhetoric, he's not a globalist. He's 'Murrica first.

3. tRUMP created some serious wreckage inside the establishments of both political parties.

4. Other than Dr. Randall Paul, he is the only Republican I've heard mention the 10th amendment and states rights, and returning power to the states as one means to reduce the national bloat.

5. He does recognize the need to secure the Southern Border with Mexico.

6. He channeled his inner Perot when he goes after NAFTA.

7. He doesn't have the NEOCON impulse (which Hillary has) to go to war quickly. He's been heavily critical of President Obama's use of drone strikes with their attendant collateral dambage.

8. He's not John Ellis Bush, He's not Chris Christie, He's not Marco Rubio, He's not Ted Cruz. He's not Hillary Clinton

9. From outward appearances, he passes the good father test.

Things I don't like about tRUMP.

1. Even though he at lest pays lip service to the 10 th amendment and relinquishing authority back to the states he is a nationalist surrounded by nationalists.

2. He's not James Webb.

3. He's not Doctor Randall Paul and certainly not Doctor Ron Paul...

Old 12-08-2016, 06:20 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

More of a philosophical musing/meandering than political, but is the Point Break Christmas Sweater the best?

Old 12-28-2016, 05:05 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Yes, a bit "Meme-tastic" but still....

Old 01-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

In this piece Jack Perry opines that the great divide is not North/South (but that divide remains) but that the divide culturally, ethically, morally is Coaster/Inland.

There's a saying that I've heard since my younger days "You got the East Coast, and You got the West Coast, and you got America in between".

Jack Perry envisions, withing ten years, a secession of the "In Between" from the coastal areas. In this sort of sundering, I could imagine the Southern half of Virginia and Points South to the Keys joining in with "in between".

Seeds of Secession
By Jack PerryJanuary 14, 2017

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2017/01/...eds-secession/

Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597
Default Is this now my personal echo chamber?

Exercise of the day (can you answer this without research? Don't sweat it if you can't, it's kinda esoteric)

George Washington commanded his largest force to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ to _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Old 02-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Huh. No takers for that little history exercise.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Thought of the day - attribution "Traditional"

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, barter is the money of peasants and debt is the money of slaves.
Traditional

Old 02-06-2017, 05:06 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 709

Thought of the day - attribution "Traditional"

Dave Ramsey would approve.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:07 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

According to Kipling in Cold Iron, Iron rules them all

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid -- Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade." "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall, "But Iron -- Cold Iron -- is master of them all." - Kipling

Old 02-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

are we ready for a really controversial topic?

Old 02-10-2017, 10:35 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 709

are we ready for a really controversial topic?

Unless you're going to praise the virtues of NAMBLA, or suggest we stone women for adultery, I'm not sure how controversial you can get.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,235

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Unless you're going to praise the virtues of NAMBLA, or suggest we stone women for adultery, I'm not sure how controversial you can get.

Adultress women stoning NAMBLAites.

Call me a bad person if you must but I would pay to watch such an event.

Of course it couldn't take place on U.S. soil.

If they set it up in Mexico they could use the revenue to help pay for the wall.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:19 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 709

Okay, now that we've raised the bar to a sufficiently controversial issue, what's your topic?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

next up:
MS 13 is a threat.

How much of a threat?

How much are they fed by the "War on Drugs" ???
http://dailysignal.com/2017/05/11/tr...Y2JJQT09In0%3D

Old 05-21-2017, 10:23 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

"Citizens" are threatening, sometimes even starting fights with some of our vaunted elected public servants http://thehill.com/homenews/house/33...-threats-mount

Old 05-21-2017, 10:49 AM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Why you put citizen in quotes? I don't approve of threats but maybe they shouldn't be threatening to throw 25 million people off health insurance, essentially killing many of them. Plus their inevitable assault on Social Security and Medicare that will bankrupt and/or kill many of the people who voted for them. Real big surprise people are angry.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Originally Posted by moonpunter View Post
Why you put citizen in quotes?

Because it makes folks like you squirm a bit.

I don't approve of threats but maybe they shouldn't be threatening to throw 25 million people off health insurance, essentially killing many of them. Plus their inevitable assault on Social Security and Medicare that will bankrupt and/or kill many of the people who voted for them. Real big surprise people are angry.

The bill would have to be in in effect for a while for people to lose their insurance. And 25 million people is probably a bit hyperbolic.

Do you know that a lot of people lost their insurance before The Affordable Care Act was repealed/replaced?

Do you know that a lot of people's healthcare costs more than quadrupled after the passage of The Affordable Care Act. (Which is Obama care, in case you didn't know it's official name)

Do you know that the riffs of "If you like your plan you can keep it" and "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" were intentional lies?

As for Social Security, it ran at a deficit last year. https://www.forbes.com/sites/kotliko.../#3c1470963c14

Jul 17, 2016 @ 09:55 AM Laurence Kotlikoff , Contributor
Social Security Just Ran A $6 Trillion Deficit And No One Noticed!
Itís been several weeks since the Social Security Trustees released their 2016 Trustees Report. Iíve been waiting to see if either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton or anyone in the press core would say a peep about the astounding $6 trillion deficit implied by the Reportís table VI.F1.

Not a peep.

As you may know, Iím running for President as a write-in candidate along with my VP choice, UCLA economist, Edward Leamer. Weíll be on the ballot along with the two party candidates if voters simply write Laurence Kotlikoff for President and Edward Leamer for Vice President on the ballot in the space provided. Itís that simple.

Ed and I are deeply concerned about our countryís fiscal condition, which is grave to say the least. If we donít address it, we can kiss our childrenís economic futures goodbye.

Iíll get back to the overall picture, but let me tell the press what they will find if they care to do their job and look at Table VI.F1. They will learn that Social Security, according to the systemís own actuaries, is now $32 trillion in the red! The $32 trillion is the present value difference between all the systemís projected future benefit payments less the sum of a) all its projected future taxes and b) its current almost $3 trillion trust fund.
A six trillion dollar deficit? And what was the deficit listed for the National Government in 2015? About a trillion dollars?

And wait, what - as the Boomer generation is retiring Social Security is far in the whole, and the whole is growing?

And ya say that it's deeply insolvent long before it's predicted insolvency date of the 2020s?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:53 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Because it makes folks like you squirm a bit.
Well yes because when you start putting quotes around it you make people seem like they're less than citizens

The bill would have to be in in effect for a while for people to lose their insurance. And 25 million people is probably a bit hyperbolic.
Trump is already plotting to bring down the insurance exchanges by not funding them. When that happens who do you think insurers will expect to make up the difference?

As for Social Security, it ran at a deficit last year.
Yes because we need to eliminate caps on Social Security taxes and Medicare taxes. It's just another form of corporate welfare.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Well yes because when you start putting quotes around it you make people seem like they're less than citizens.
Precious. Just Precious.

by Most Exalted Mohican

As for Social Security, it ran at a deficit last year.
Yes because we need to eliminate caps on Social Security taxes and Medicare taxes. It's just another form of corporate welfare.
If all your synapses were firing when you typed that I'm really, really, really worried about you, Moony.

I know it's hard for some to understand, but this is a failure of both Republican and Democrat legislators (that's the ones elected to the House of Representatives and after the 17th amendment the National Senate) and presidents after the real "lockbox" was eliminated and Social Security moneys have been slushed through the general fund.

If a private company ran a system like Social Security they would be hit up by the S.E.C. for a Bernie Madoff like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

In the 1990s people calculated Social Security insolvency to hit in the 2020s. As I've said before, it's hit us quicker than expected.

Hmm, us debt clock dot org's figures are a bit lighter, or "conservative" than the 2016 Forbes article. http://usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by Mohican; 05-21-2017 at 05:32 PM..
Old 05-21-2017, 06:06 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Precious. Just Precious.

If all your synapses were firing when you typed that I'm really, really, really worried about you, Moony.

I know it's hard for some to understand, but this is a failure of both Republican and Democrat legislators (that's the ones elected to the House of Representatives and after the 17th amendment the National Senate) and presidents after the real "lockbox" was eliminated and Social Security moneys have been slushed through the general fund.

If a private company ran a system like Social Security they would be hit up by the S.E.C. for a Bernie Madoff like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

In the 1990s people calculated Social Security insolvency to hit in the 2020s. As I've said before, it's hit us quicker than expected.

Hmm, us debt clock dot org's figures are a bit lighter, or "conservative" than the 2016 Forbes article. http://usdebtclock.org/
Nothing you said refuted my point at all. Someone like Warren Buffett who makes billions pays the same into Social Security as someone who makes $150K. Does that seem fair? https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...x-in-2017.aspx
Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 597

Nothing you said refuted my point at all. Someone like Warren Buffett who makes billions pays the same into Social Security as someone who makes $150K. Does that seem fair? https://www.fool.com/retirement/2017...x-in-2017.aspx
1. This response is not complete gibberish

but

2. Social Security wasn't really supposed to be a tax, and originally not a complete retirement package but a safety net. The Cap is because people figured that people above a certain income level would have other retirement options, so why pay in?

So yeah, it's "fair", "Citizen Moonbeam".

To make the argument that if people above the Social Security cutoff kept paying at the same percentage and everything would become fixed is just political gerbil speak.

To throw the Warren Buffets of the world into the Social Security argument may sound good to those inclined toward "tax the rich" rhetoric but at this point does absolutely nothing to address the problem in anything other than symbolism.

You do know, don't you that in a lot of the states the public employees don't pay into or use Social Security but have their own retirement plans?

So where does "fair" start and stop?

Old 05-22-2017, 01:42 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

1. This response is not complete gibberish

but

2. Social Security wasn't really supposed to be a tax, and originally not a complete retirement package but a safety net. The Cap is because people figured that people above a certain income level would have other retirement options, so why pay in?

So yeah, it's "fair", "Citizen Moonbeam".

To make the argument that if people above the Social Security cutoff kept paying at the same percentage and everything would become fixed is just political gerbil speak.

To throw the Warren Buffets of the world into the Social Security argument may sound good to those inclined toward "tax the rich" rhetoric but at this point does absolutely nothing to address the problem in anything other than symbolism.

You do know, don't you that in a lot of the states the public employees don't pay into or use Social Security but have their own retirement plans?

So where does "fair" start and stop?
If that's how it was supposed to work the Buffetts and Trumps wouldn't have to contribute anything since they already have more than enough to retire on.

It's about providing a safety net for EVERYONE, not just yourself. I know that's a radical concept to Republicans whose pervasive attitude is: I have mine so screw everyone else. And then they claim they're Jesus's party.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:15 PM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 182

But it's not really a safety net if it's for EVERYONE.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:48 PM
moonpunter (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 43

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
But it's not really a safety net if it's for EVERYONE.
What nonsense. And gibberish. And gerbil speak.

Safety nets catch anyone who falls; they don't have income requirements. Even our current president utilized a legal safety net the times he declared bankruptcy.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:24 PM
Myers (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 182

Social Security was supposed to be funded though payroll taxes -- and was originally designed to operate more or less like a private pension fund.

If a separate needs based program is required to specifically provide a safety net, then it should be managed differently and funded by general tax revenues.

Last edited by Myers; 05-22-2017 at 03:28 PM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table