WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

a request to all members

Old 02-26-2016, 05:59 AM
CandraH

Originally Posted by wyf View Post
I thought the anything goes thread in board games was going to be the sort of thread that Nacia was suggesting but it seems like chatbot only started it as an excuse to keep posting his own rambles there.
Yeah, I noticed that after I posted, even considered joining in at one point, but the barrage of Chatbot posts put me off.

Oh well.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
wyf (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 02:19 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 201

The ceaseless daylight,
When it seems still
And tigers dropped,
The moss grows ill
Around the boss—
Where waters boil,
And shades are senseless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭

Last edited by chat bot; 02-28-2016 at 11:24 PM..
Old 03-06-2016, 06:57 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
I suggest we make a forum or part of forum or time where members request other members to write about a topic
it could be in either poetry or prose

for example everyday a member is chosen to select another member to write about something.

the rest of us may or may not join in the critique or comment of the piece,
nothing heavy just few comment to say whether it was good fun or boring

what say you?

Due to the nature of this forum, Assignments would be a bad idea.
Unless people would like to be assigned to read the FAQs and other dusty corners that hold the rules of behavior for Writer's Beat.....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Nacia (03-06-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Will we be graded on a curve?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 638

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
Will we be graded on a curve?
Pass - Fail

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:35 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Pass - Fail

The keyword is "functional".
Old 03-17-2016, 07:48 PM
KBR (Offline)

Thanks 655

I like this idea. The problem is that our own ideas about what we want to write about get locked into familiar channels. The idea of being jolted out of the well worn cart tracks to do something "off topic" for a change sounds exciting. I also like the idea of making it game. It should feel more fun and less threatening.

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
It sounds fun - but the constraint will always be time Nacia.

How do you feel about running it as a game thread? First person posts the topic - next person produces the response. If it's spontaneous, members won't feel pressured or obligated. Perhaps suggest no more than ten lines. Leave it to the individual to decide whether they respond with poetry or prose...at the end of their piece, they post up the next title challenge.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 PM
KBR (Offline)

Thanks 655
Default I know nothing about fiction but took up the Max challenge.

Written in 25 minutes by a COMPLETE novice who has only written two pieces of fiction in his life. Be kind. It's 193 words longer than 500, but I had no intention of taking more time for a rewrite to shorten.

Shark Bait

I had taken the sloop out into Monterey Bay because I wanted some ocean air and a chance to think about why I was so scared to write fiction. I see a grey whale and her calf slowly ease by. It's amazing how much that spray they spew when they surface stinks. But they are graceful and unhurried. Finally, they go under and I can't see where they surface and return to my fictional thoughts. My grammar isn't that great. Just thinking about this piece which is essentially without a plot not unlike my meandering, directionless sailing ties my stomach in knots.

But my musing is disturbed by a sudden thud that sends quivers through the fiberglass hull. I look over the side and see the leftovers from someone else's boat that has been broken up and left to drift in the bay. I see that bowsprit on the other boat has torn a small seam in the hull just behind the bow. The sloop is taking on water. It's easy to see that the boat will be unusable in minutes, so I inflate the small, orange life boat and throw it overboard. It's tied it to the transom so it won't drift off. I get my emergency provisions and water bottles and sling them into the inflatable right before jumping in. I leave it tied off to the boat knowing that it's easier to spot a boat than a tiny life raft.

I telephone George, my best friend. "George!" I almost scream into the phone. I hear some shuffling around and a feminine voice asking about something. "Yes!! What do you want Mike!! This is a very bad time to call." "George, my boat hit another wrecked boat and I'm taking on water! It's two hours to sunset! I'm in the Bay near Moss Landing, but I don't have a motor and the chop is getting worse. I can't make it in. I need help!” I hear more rustling and a clunk. It's clear the phone hit the floor. "Mike! Oh my God! I'm going to call the Coast Guard right now! Hang in there buddy. The Great Whites don't come out until sundown." Damn, I had forgotten about the sharks. "Shit! I completely forgot about those guys." I didn't know what else to say. George was right. The Great Whites hunt at dusk, and there are tons of California sea lions on the rocks round the mouth of Moss Landing. And my life raft is Yum Yum Yellow a color that sharks are attracted to.

I didn't hear from George again for a long time. The wind starting dying down, and I got a chance to watch an incredible sunset. It was a pure gold sunset that lit the low clouds all across the horizon. It made me forget about the danger below for a few minutes. But when the Sun finally disappeared from view and the grey night sky started replacing the light, I was very nervous. It occurred to me that writing a little bit of fiction was much less scary than being eaten by a hungry Great White shark. I don't know why or how, but the cold off the water and the gentle movement of the night time waves made me fall asleep. I was roused by a strong hand. I looked up and saw a big Coast Guard cutter with George looking anxiously over the side watching the rescue.

My little sloop was a total loss. But they got both boats back to shore and sent them to a man who specialized in the restoration of badly damaged boats. It was more of a hobby to get these boats back to usefulness rather than a living. The old man that ran the salvage operation just loved boats and couldn't stand to see them broken down into component parts and recycled. As for me, I wrote that really bad fiction piece in 25 minutes. I knew I had no talent for fiction, so what did I have to lose but my dignity. And since I have so little of that, I gave it a shot.

Last edited by KBR; 03-18-2016 at 02:13 AM..
Old 03-17-2016, 08:53 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 825

If it's true you've only written two pieces of fiction in your life, I'd say you've been wasting a lot of time. Who told you your grammar was poor?

Your sentencing is natural and fluid, but still creative.

A nice read.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
KBR (03-18-2016)

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback