WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

a book/story that has upset you

Old 10-05-2015, 12:27 PM
Binx B

Originally Posted by poirot View Post
Your post, post #29, clearly shows that you understand my prior statement. Therefore the asking of an example is not for clarification purposes (explaining), but rather a submission for your approval (justifying).
I'm not asking you to justify anything. I was simply asking for an example of a book that normalizes abuse as opposed to just depicting it in some way, in your opinion.

If it's a book we've both read, I may or may not agree, but if I don't, it's really not a big deal. If you had said, 50 Shades of Gray, I'd probably agree with you based on what I know about it. If it was some other book that I haven't read, then I'd be interested to know how you formed your opinion and beyond that, I'd just take your word for it. Just because you feel like you're being judged doesn't mean I'm trying to judge you.

I also find your ridicule of the typo in Motley's post to be over the top and have reported it.
But there's no problem with him being condescending and assuming that I haven't read the classics.

That's kind of funny.

Last edited by Binx B; 10-05-2015 at 02:08 PM..
Old 10-05-2015, 01:47 PM
NSD716 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Brave New World - This book is both my favorite and most loathed story. The future Huxley created is both terrifying and depressing, however what scared me most was that if I were part of the world, I wouldn't have been able to fight it. I doubt anyone could.

The society controls people through selective breeding ((in a way)), brainwashing their children, and giving out free drugs that make you euphoric. This successfully keeps people subdued, not through brute force or fear, but through their pleasures, which of course most of us are weak to fight. By using human nature, Huxley created a distopia that couldn't be fought, couldn't be overcome. If I were part of this world, I would have either fallen victim to the pleasure, or to my own hand, just like the main character.

Reading this in high school was the first time a book made me feel scared, disgusted, and totally helpless.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:33 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
I'm not asking you to justify anything. I was simply asking for an example of a book that normalizes abuse as opposed to just depicting it in some way, in your opinion.

If it's a book we've both read, I may or may not agree, but if I don't, it's really not a big deal. If you had said, 50 Shades of Gray, I'd probably agree with you based on what I know about it. If it was some other book that I haven't read, then I'd be interested to know how you formed your opinion and beyond that, I'd just take your word for it. Just because you feel like you're being judged doesn't mean I'm trying to judge you.
Word it however you like, it means the same thing. Wanting to "discuss" examples of what I believe normalizes abuse is judgmental and seeking justification.

But there's no problem with him being condescending and assuming that I haven't read the classics.

That's kind of funny.
I have the feeling Motley is a teen, who hopefully will learn by example. Your example of acceptable behavior, in this case, is poor. And since you specified elsewhere that you have a child, unless I am confusing you with someone else, means you should already have the maturity to teach by example. Am I wrong?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Binx B

Word it however you like, it means the same thing. Wanting to "discuss" examples of what I believe normalizes abuse is judgmental and seeking justification.
I don't think so. Discussing just provides and opportunity to explain how you arrived at your opinion. Providing examples can be part of how you do that. I'm interested in what informs people's opinions and beliefs. I think it's a natural inclination for a writer.

Otherwise, this is a discussion forum. But I think there are some people here who believe their comments are sufficiently interesting by themselves, outside of any kind of conversation or exchange that might require an explanation or examples. And that is very rarely the case. (And that includes my comments.)

On top of that, there’s the idea that any kind of disagreement or request for an explanation or clarification is automatically confrontational.

Add it all up, and you have a surefire formula for boring threads that are nothing more than a string of watered-down, unrelated “opinions.” Thanks, but no thanks.

I have the feeling Motley is a teen, who hopefully will learn by example. Your example of acceptable behavior, in this case, is poor. And since you specified elsewhere that you have a child, unless I am confusing you with someone else, means you should already have the maturity to teach by example. Am I wrong?
Motley is not my child.

And if he's old enough to make a comment that assumes I don't understand something based on not having read the classics, then I think I can take a little poke at him for not bothering to proof his posts. This is a writing forum after all.

Is that really so egregious that you feel it's necessary to alert the authorities?

Sorry, but that seems kind of hypersensitive to me, and it assumes that he can't take care of himself. And if indeed Motley is a teen, thinking back to my teen years, I would have thought your intervention was rather condescending and unnecessary.

So yes, since you are asking, I think you are wrong.

Last edited by Binx B; 10-05-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Old 10-05-2015, 04:49 PM
poirot (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 105

Well, Binx, now that you've established that I am wrong in assuming that you lack adult maturity, I will respond according.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:53 PM
Binx B

That's really good news! It gives me something to look forward to.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:50 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 490

As writers we should be able to handle opinions/questions about a statement we've made. Prying for more information is in our makeup. One could surmise that a writer is in close relation to being a reporter.

It's funny how the written word can seem twofold in meaning at times and we may rush to judge the fashion in which someone's post comes across.

We're all here to learn and apply. Everyone is going to have their own type of personality that reaches out from their posts at times. Learning to coexist and discuss issues is part of the learning curve to becoming a great writer.

Will there be sarcasm and some poking fun from time to time? I'm sure, I've seen it for years around here and other forums. Sometimes that "thickened" skin is needed more on an opinionated thread than a subjective critique.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:23 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Stay on topic, please. And thicker skins, too, please. Agree to disagree, then be the bigger person and walk away from an argument. Don't keep going round and round, otherwise someone's going to have to take a "time out."

Edit: LOL! Just saw Bagit's post.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library