WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Delusion about time?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 AM
saratdear (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Delusion about time?

This began as a completely different story idea - a teenager's belief that he should have been born a decade ago (listening to everyone bitching about the so called good ol' days). And then I thought about stuff to actually make him go back in time, like time machines and lucid dreams.

Now it's going in a completely new direction - are there actual mental conditions which make people believe that they are living in a different time period or say they've been forcibly time hijacked or something? Any mental delusions of that sort?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM
Lewdog (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 68

There was the television series, "Life on Mars," where I believe it was caused by getting hit by a car. I really enjoyed the show but it wasn't around long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_on...._TV_series%29
Old 10-01-2013, 11:09 PM
risk10 (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 277

Dyschronia is a psychological phenomenon that most people suffer - when time appears to go slowly for you whilst doing mundane chores, but goes quickly for those on a great holiday. I guess given literary license, this could be extrapolated so that one experiences time very slowly over a long period, whilst another's life flashes through at a rate of knots.

Other than that, there are multiple psychoses that may cause symptoms, such as feeling they are in or have been living in another time period. These do usually occur after massive head traumas, haemorrhaging or severe neuro-chemical imbalance, though this symptom is extremely rare and little is really known about it.

Reality is - anything is possible when talking about the human mind - so I wouldn't limit yourself to "the truth" when it comes to psychological conditions. And this is coming from a psychologist...so it must be true....right?

TAKE THE RISK
Old 02-07-2016, 10:09 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 195

Originally Posted by risk10 View Post
Dyschronia is a psychological phenomenon that most people suffer - when time appears to go slowly for you whilst doing mundane chores, but goes quickly for those on a great holiday. I guess given literary license, this could be extrapolated so that one experiences time very slowly over a long period, whilst another's life flashes through at a rate of knots.

Other than that, there are multiple psychoses that may cause symptoms, such as feeling they are in or have been living in another time period. These do usually occur after massive head traumas, haemorrhaging or severe neuro-chemical imbalance, though this symptom is extremely rare and little is really known about it.

Reality is - anything is possible when talking about the human mind - so I wouldn't limit yourself to "the truth" when it comes to psychological conditions. And this is coming from a psychologist...so it must be true....right?

TAKE THE RISK
What "scientific researches" have you EVER done?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section