WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

's' up

Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,258
Default 's' up

Holidays are always a drag for me. Forced friviolity. Growing up, they tended to have a parents marriage breaking up strewn through them (one Christmas season I looked out the window to see my mother bouncing logs off the hood of the family car).

Two weeks ago, as I walked into the range, a guy discharged a shotgun carelessly. He missed my head by four and a half feet (measured it later).

So life can suck if I live in the past.
Life can be over any moment in the present.

So I want you to be sure that I continue to support your work. I have an unmistakeable, unshakeable feeling that you have what it takes to continue (yeah, used 'continue' twice- intentional) to be worth reading.

And about that mental picture thing. Sixty. Ha. I'm in a hundred thirty five pound body with a thirty inch waist that stands at sixty nine inches. And dark hair that covers all of the head. No- I don't look average. I often forget what the average look is. Once in a while I meet someone with less years and a lot more wear. Then I flash that that is average. Sad. For them.

So you are in a body that is forty years apart from this one (and, I think you think, a generation culture or two apart also).

But I submit to you that true pain knows not the circumstance of time. It attacks the heart. The spirit. And that is where I meet it with my best efforts to cut it off at the knees (it don't hazard me effectively when spurtin' at the thigh bottoms). I've done this with writing (during the past few years) and I have also employed other arts (some Martial) over the past decades.

As I read you (and infer I am being given a view of your social goings on) I, ... I wish
I could give you now what I think would have helped me back then (this because I see my life from back then being printed in your prose).

But maybe there can be no 'giving' in this sort of instance. Maybe a 'creating' within is the only manner of survival.

I don't know. I do know that to be so open directly is a form of vulnerability.

Misunderstanding. Suspicion.

But one thing I am sure of is that bravery is not about being scared or not being scared.

It is simply about doing what one believes is correct for the situation (I calmly disarmed the guy and quietly informed him that he couldn't shoot his gun in here anymore today).

And I type and post this with the serenity of knowing that I would be less than what I am capable of being if I kept all of the foregoing to myself.

Yeah, yeah- it's all about me.

I'm a selfish bastard.

Later,
Nick

Hey, man- you screwd up the title. It should be 's up.
Pal, thanks for the info. And now I got two words for you and they ain't Happy Birthday.

Last edited by Nick Pierce; 11-25-2012 at 05:18 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick Pierce For This Useful Post:
Mutawintji (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 05:20 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 235

Piercy's back, guns ablazin! With emotion his main firepower today.... The introspective Piercy making valid points tempered by selfishness to keep from being sentimental- best he's been in a while. More guns next time, please! Well done, homes!
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamS. For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 05:27 PM
maidahl

What a do to to die today when a guy discharged a shotgun carelessly.

You selfish bastard. Come on. This is genius.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (11-25-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Elisa/win (Offline)
Illusive Drifter
Senior Moderator

Thanks 455

"But I submit to you that true pain knows not the circumstance of time. It attacks the heart. The spirit. And that is where I meet it with my best efforts to cut it off at the knees (it don't hazard me effectively when spurtin' at the thigh bottoms). I've done this with writing (during the past few years) and I have also employed other arts (some Martial) over the past decades."

Loved that. I don't know what to say side from it's very interesting and has a very musing tone. I haven't seen your other works so I can't really compare.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elisa/win For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 04:53 AM
Lewdog (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 68

Originally Posted by maidahl View Post
What a do to to die today when a guy discharged a shotgun carelessly.

You selfish bastard. Come on. This is genius.
When I was a child, a teacher once had as analyze a story and something that happened in it. A young boy and his father were out hunting and they came upon a barbed wire fence they needed to circumvent. Well somehow after the father got through the fence and turned back to help his son through, the boy's shotgun went off killing his father. I was in fifth grade I believe and the teacher deiced this was an important time in our lives to not only teach us the dangers of guns, but to use our deductive reasoning skills to figure out how he got shot, and what could have been done to prevent this from happening.

Later on in my life I was finally told that the Grandfather that I had known my entire life was not indeed my "real" Grandfather. My first Grandfather had died when my father was a very young child. He was a military man who served in the Air Force with Ted Williams the famous baseball player and often worked on his car a lot for him. Well, I was told that the way my "real" Grandfather died was kept from me because they did not want me to look at my uncle Rock in a negative way. Unbelievably my "real" Grandfather had died in a hunting accident after my uncle Rock and him were going through a barbed wire fence. My "real" Grandfather had gone through the fence first, and as my uncle Rock was going through, the trigger of his gun caught on a barb in the fence and went off accidentally stroke my "real" Grandfather. They were too far out in a field for my uncle to run to get help. I understand as an adult these type of things happen, it's a shame. My "real" Grandfather and my uncle Rock didn't have the safety of their guns on, because they were hunting and if the situation arisen, they didn't want to lose out on a kill because they forgot their gun was on safety.

It's a shame that I never got to meet the man, I was told he was a great influence on my father and the rest of my aunts and uncles. He also took care of my Grandmother really well. On the other hand that would have meant I never would have met my Grandpa I grew up with, and that would have been a shame as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lewdog For This Useful Post:
Nick Pierce (11-26-2012)
Old 03-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Holidays are always a drag for me. Forced friviolity. Growing up, they tended to have a parents marriage breaking up strewn through them (one Christmas season I looked out the window to see my mother bouncing logs off the hood of the family car).

Two weeks ago, as I walked into the range, a guy discharged a shotgun carelessly. He missed my head by four and a half feet (measured it later).

So life can suck if I live in the past.
Life can be over any moment in the present.

So I want you to be sure that I continue to support your work. I have an unmistakeable, unshakeable feeling that you have what it takes to continue (yeah, used 'continue' twice- intentional) to be worth reading.

And about that mental picture thing. Sixty. Ha. I'm in a hundred thirty five pound body with a thirty inch waist that stands at sixty nine inches. And dark hair that covers all of the head. No- I don't look average. I often forget what the average look is. Once in a while I meet someone with less years and a lot more wear. Then I flash that that is average. Sad. For them.

So you are in a body that is forty years apart from this one (and, I think you think, a generation culture or two apart also).

But I submit to you that true pain knows not the circumstance of time. It attacks the heart. The spirit. And that is where I meet it with my best efforts to cut it off at the knees (it don't hazard me effectively when spurtin' at the thigh bottoms). I've done this with writing (during the past few years) and I have also employed other arts (some Martial) over the past decades.

As I read you (and infer I am being given a view of your social goings on) I, ... I wish
I could give you now what I think would have helped me back then (this because I see my life from back then being printed in your prose).

But maybe there can be no 'giving' in this sort of instance. Maybe a 'creating' within is the only manner of survival.

I don't know. I do know that to be so open directly is a form of vulnerability.

Misunderstanding. Suspicion.

But one thing I am sure of is that bravery is not about being scared or not being scared.

It is simply about doing what one believes is correct for the situation (I calmly disarmed the guy and quietly informed him that he couldn't shoot his gun in here anymore today).

And I type and post this with the serenity of knowing that I would be less than what I am capable of being if I kept all of the foregoing to myself.

Yeah, yeah- it's all about me.

I'm a selfish bastard.

Later,
Nick

Hey, man- you screwd up the title. It should be 's up.
Pal, thanks for the info. And now I got two words for you and they ain't Happy Birthday.

Nick, this is a remarkable piece of work.

Wha...?
Oh.
Yeah.
I forgot I wrote this.

You forgot you wrote about almost being shot?

No, Pierce.
I knew I wrote something about that (how could I pass up such a bit of data to build on, eh?).

I forgot I used it as an entry to write a support piece for another writer.

Hmm.
Who was that, Nick?

Easy there, Mr. Pierce.
I guy's gotta have some secrets.

Okay, Nick.
I can support that.

Good one, P.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:07 PM
chat bot (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 185

what it do, baby boo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
💭
Old 03-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,258

Originally Posted by chat bot View Post
what it do, baby boo

I could not have stated a response with any more veracity.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction