WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

What's the saddest book you've read?

Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

Originally Posted by HoiLei View Post
I'm the same way. If I know a movie will be intense, I have to psyche myself up for it. Once, my sister went to rent some videos, and she came home with "Fiddler on the Roof" and "Dr. Zhivago". I love them both... but egad! Either one will have me on an emotional ride for a week at least. Both in a short time frame would be way too much.
I was in Fiddler on the Roof. We were crying on the last performance night during Anatevka (last song). We ended there, not even with the happy bit at the end. And we didn't come back for bows.
I find 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak and 'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman really sad. And there are a few songs that get me every time:
Joan by Butch Walker
Let Him Fly by the Dixie Chicks
Travelin' Soldier by the Dixie Chicks

The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 AM
winterstorm (Offline)
Fist of Fury

Thanks 62

Originally Posted by rebeccarpierce View Post
I cried reading Marley and Me. There's just something about losing one's dog that makes me lose my cool faster than anything else! I refuse to watch the movie. I don't think I can handle it.
I watched the movie of Marley and Me and I don't think I can read the book. Can't do it.

Originally Posted by gurari View Post
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
This made me cry like a baby, had good rest afterwards... I mean really, what are we doing here on earth... we don't seem to be going anywhere...

My Sister's Keeper is a tough one, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas wouldn't let me sleep for two days. And, Falling Bodies by Andrew Mark, there is one part in the novel, just for the fact that it happened.

I cry at everything.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Bree Bree3195 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 2
Send a message via MSN to Bree Bree3195

'Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters' made me cry at the end. That was a really good book i do say.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Originally Posted by winterstorm View Post
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas wouldn't let me sleep for two days. I cry at everything.
I read that for English. A few weeks ago I went to Berlin, and visited Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. This was on a history trip. I don't cry easily, but I cried there. The gas chambers were still there, and in the rooms where they tested on them, sometimes alive, there was still blood on parts of the wall. ;(
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147
Send a message via AIM to Writing.Geek.

Originally Posted by Dela Eden View Post
I read that for English. A few weeks ago I went to Berlin, and visited Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp. This was on a history trip. I don't cry easily, but I cried there. The gas chambers were still there, and in the rooms where they tested on them, sometimes alive, there was still blood on parts of the wall. ;(
I probably would've cried, too. Despite how upset I get when I think about the Holocaust, I want to go see the concentration camps (at least one of them) sometime in the future.

if you want to reveal your stories from the shadow of your computer....
Old 12-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Beowulf...I cried.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:25 PM
sparta98 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Location: On this empty street on the boulevard of broken dreams...
Thanks 37

Did you guys hear that the sign over Auschwitz was stolen? The way I heard it, it turned up with some neo-nazis and it was cut in 3 pieces...

It makes me sick to think about what they did there. Everybody has a choice. Everybody. They made theirs. I hope none of those 'soldiers' made it their respective heavens.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 AM
A.Zerro (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 45

Originally Posted by sparta98 View Post
It makes me sick to think about what they did there. Everybody has a choice. Everybody. They made theirs. I hope none of those 'soldiers' made it their respective heavens.
You can't assume that they did unless you were there.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:37 AM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Everybody involved had a choice. One kept their souls clean, one kept them alive. They chose to stay alive. I don't need to have been there to know that what they did was nothing short of mass murder.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

It's one of those things though. Sachsenhausen, where we went, when the Jews were saved and the country was free from Nazi control, Stalin used it to hold the people he hated. He didn't learn.
You know you want to -
Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Well, hopefully nothing like the Holocaust will happen again. It was wrong, and terrible.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I bet something like that will happen again, though. It's only human nature. World War One was thought of as so disastrous everyone said it wouldn't happen again. Then, 20 years later, World War Two happened, and the same was thought of that. Then it was the Cold War, and I know it's not actual fighting mainly, but you had the Cuban Missile Crisis yet we still keep nuclear weapons, the Vietnam war, the first Afghanistan war in 1979, the Iraq war, and now the Afghanistan war we're currently fighting. Yes, it was the war to end all wars, wasn't it???
You know you want to -
Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 AM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Our nation's greatest minds appreciate hypocrisy...
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 AM
A.Zerro (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 45

Originally Posted by sparta98 View Post
Everybody involved had a choice. One kept their souls clean, one kept them alive. They chose to stay alive. I don't need to have been there to know that what they did was nothing short of mass murder.
Negative, the difference from now is that we are able to have a choice - to the point where we can fight for it.

Pretend you're a German man, you have a wife and two kids. The only way for your kids to grow and be healthy is to do what you have to do to provide for them.

The times were different to now, their circumstances are not as ours are today. They didn't have that freedom. Dictatorship and all spared them that.

There is no doubt in my mind, us humans will never be able to stop wars from becoming. Why? - Because we all have different views on what's right and what's wrong, what's peace and what's not. That's the way the world will spin for many more centuries than we can all imagine.

saddest book: Sold.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:15 AM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Originally Posted by A.Zerro View Post
Negative, the difference from now is that we are able to have a choice - to the point where we can fight for it.

Pretend you're a German man, you have a wife and two kids. The only way for your kids to grow and be healthy is to do what you have to do to provide for them.

The times were different to now, their circumstances are not as ours are today. They didn't have that freedom. Dictatorship and all spared them that.

There is no doubt in my mind, us humans will never be able to stop wars from becoming. Why? - Because we all have different views on what's right and what's wrong, what's peace and what's not. That's the way the world will spin for many more centuries than we can all imagine.

saddest book: Sold.
Killing hundreds of other fathers with children of their own is exactly what I would NOT do.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Yeah, I agree that they shouldn't have done it, and some refused. But some did it, some out of fear. I am against nearly all warfare because it's generally unjust. That doesn't mean I don't think it will happen again.
A poem about this is Vultures by Chinua Achebe. It's comparing what happened to the way Vultures behave. Here's the best version I can find.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...heberev2.shtml
You know you want to -
Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Originally Posted by Dela Eden View Post
Yeah, I agree that they shouldn't have done it, and some refused. But some did it, some out of fear. I am against nearly all warfare because it's generally unjust. That doesn't mean I don't think it will happen again.
A poem about this is Vultures by Chinua Achebe. It's comparing what happened to the way Vultures behave. Here's the best version I can find.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...heberev2.shtml
Yep, sounds like humanity...

Have you seen "My Soul to Take"? The main character mentions at one point that he's 'doomed', and she said, "We're all doomed, it's the human condition.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Writing.Geek. (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 147

Some Nazis did 'fight' for their country out of fear. But, some did it because they thought it was right. The latter are the ones that we should be against and despise. I'm not saying what the former did were right, they're cowards to me...but they had a reason for their actions. The others didn't; they freely chose to kill people.

But, because of their actions a whole generation was lost, and the world will never be the same.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:50 PM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

It makes me boil when anybody brings up the camps, especially Bergen-Belsen (SP?). I think of Anne Frank and I choke up.

Is that last sentence a famous quote or something? I swear I've heard it before.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Possibly. I read the diary of Anne Frank. A few years ago. That was sad too. There were stories where we went where people were beaten to death and things. One person took 32??? hours to die. And some were experimented on alive by this just to see how much pain the human body could withstand. And then there were the tables themselves, still with blood on them.
You know you want to -
Old 01-04-2011, 11:23 AM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Anne died a couple weeks before her camp was liberated. =( I hope those 'scientists' were all killed when it happened.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:29 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I know Most in charge were, though some escaped to Brazil and other places. The worst of them all was never caught.
You know you want to -
Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Was there a particularly evil one?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I guess they generally were all evil, but Josef Mengele - nicknamed the Angel of Death - was probably the worst. He was there at Auschwitz.
You know you want to -
Old 01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
sparta98 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 37

Luckily, I've never heard of him.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 PM
winterstorm (Offline)
Fist of Fury

Thanks 62

Falling Bodies by Andrew Mark

So sad, I wanted to hug the character...
Old 01-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Teatime (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Right now, the score kind of evens between Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and Notre Dame de Paris. As for movies.. ooh well I cry very quickly, so I can't be sure :P But P.S., I Love You scored very, very high.. :P
Old 01-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I love sad films and books. Fortunately I don't cry easily.
You know you want to -
Old 01-08-2011, 06:27 PM
SyntaxError (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 106

Watership Down and The Plague Dogs, both by Richard Adams. He ruined my childhood. Cheers Rich. Tosser.
The Following User Says Thank You to SyntaxError For This Useful Post:
Magealexstra (09-29-2016)
Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Les Choristes made me cry. I really don't know why. Has anyone seen it??? It's a French film
You know you want to -

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library