WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

If Marilyn Monroe were alive today...

Old 04-19-2017, 03:57 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 779

I still think the answer to the original question is no. Good looking is based on a whole slew of often unconscious decisions, or prompts. Facial symmetry, body ratios, BMI, and other more or less obvious cues drive us to find another attractive.

I don't think evolution has noticeably changed since the 1950's or '60's. Probably not in the last 11,000 years either.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:57 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 779

https://www.google.com/amp/www.teleg...ttractive/amp/
Old 04-20-2017, 06:08 AM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 260

And you can cherry pick certain celebs to support any theory. Katy Perry's look seems like a throwback to the 50's. Ben Afleck and Matthew McConaughey don't exactly seem metrosexual to me.

And there have always been people in popular culture that go against what seems to be the trend. Or there is a mixture. I think Kate Moss and Cindy Crawford were more or less contemporaries...
Old 04-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 623

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I just mean as long we're fantasizing...

And maybe I'm just not all that attracted to that kind of vulnerability. Seems like it may be more trouble than it's worth.

If you could ask Arthur Miller or Joe DiMaggio they might tell you the same thing.
It's my understanding that Jolting Joe's last words were about Norma Jean, and getting to see her again....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

In December of 1953 the first issue of Playboy hit the shelves. It sold for 50 cents a copy and the first center fold was none other than Marilyn. It launched the magazine as well as her career as Americas most desirable sexpot.

Beautiful women come and go but the iconic beauty of MM has endured over time. Images of her still do a good business as her classic pout and sultry eyes adorn posters, t-shirts and a myriad of other collectibles.

To Joltin' Joe she was the love of his life as evidenced by his careful preservation of her grave site and his desire to see her again after his death.

Even the screen beauties of today imitate MM by striking one or more of her famous poses while done up in the style of that era.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."
Old 04-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
In December of 1953 the first issue of Playboy hit the shelves. It sold for 50 cents a copy and the first center fold was none other than Marilyn. It launched the magazine as well as her career as Americas most desirable sexpot.

Beautiful women come and go but the iconic beauty of MM has endured over time. Images of her still do a good business as her classic pout and sultry eyes adorn posters, t-shirts and a myriad of other collectibles.

To Joltin' Joe she was the love of his life as evidenced by his careful preservation of her grave site and his desire to see her again after his death.

Even the screen beauties of today imitate MM by striking one or more of her famous poses while done up in the style of that era.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."
But why, in your opinion Gaines?

Soft and pliant femininity? Geometric perfection? Was it looks or demeanour? Why d'you think she's become so timeless?
Old 04-30-2017, 04:23 PM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 861

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post

Soft and pliant femininity? Geometric perfection? Was it looks or demeanour? Why d'you think she's become so timeless?

It is her story and her beauty and the tragedy of her death that create this timeless aura that is Marilyn.

The world that acknowledges her as that iconic beauty elevates her to that goddess level so many see her as.

Was she the most beautiful woman in the world for a time? Yes. It is how we perceived her to be and how she was. Norma Jean became Marilyn and in the true sense of Hollywood she was the stuff that dreams are made of.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:53 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 348

To put it bluntly, Grace, there is something about some women that just makes men want to fuck them. They can be ugly, selfish, rude, even smelly -- but men will throw away all they've worked for and care about for a chance to bump uglies with them.

Marilyn had that quality, and was easy on the eyes, besides.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:06 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 933

But women loved her too.

There was a vulnerability and broken-ness...James Dean had it.

I felt compassion for Marilyn. Something lost and lonely, like a little girl in dress-up clothes.

Yes, I get the bestial arousal - but I think men engaged with her further than the hard-on. Fuckability doesn't warrant a pedestal.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:18 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 933

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
It is her story and her beauty and the tragedy of her death that create this timeless aura that is Marilyn.

The world that acknowledges her as that iconic beauty elevates her to that goddess level so many see her as.

Was she the most beautiful woman in the world for a time? Yes. It is how we perceived her to be and how she was. Norma Jean became Marilyn and in the true sense of Hollywood she was the stuff that dreams are made of.
You're right, in all respects.

The premature death, particularly. If the memory of her flawless face was now overlaid with recent images of botoxed Marilyn with a turkey neck...

No, nobody wants to see a skirt billowing up to reveal varicose veins and polyester bloomers.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:52 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 348

But women loved her too.

There was a vulnerability and broken-ness...James Dean had it.

I felt compassion for Marilyn. Something lost and lonely, like a little girl in dress-up clothes.

Yes, I get the bestial arousal - but I think men engaged with her further than the hard-on. Fuckability doesn't warrant a pedestal.
I thought all women were gay, anyway. Holding hands, going to the bathroom together...you know.

But seriously, you're right, it is more than wanting to rut. It's a mixture of vulnerability and wantonness. I've thought about it some, and I think the vulnerability appeals to everyone, with the men thinking they could protect her from all others, and thus have her to themselves, and the women feeling the need to protect her from the men.

Everyone saw her the same way, they just had different ideas of what they could do with it. Either way, you're right -- it was more than just wanting to fuck. It was something that ran deep, and very few people have that quality.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (05-05-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table