WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction

Fiction Novel excerpts, short stories, etc.

Birthday Wish

Old 04-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130
Default Birthday Wish

On his twenty-fifth birthday, Joey Rubin lay in bed, reviewing fond memories of his mom who recently passed away. Joey dearly missed her and dreaded having to spend his first birthday without her around. To hear her sweet voice or to see her lovely face one more time, he would have given anything. As he remembered her, He thought about stories of people hearing voices or seeing apparitions of departed loved ones, and to have one of those supernatural incidents occur to him would have been the best birthday present ever. As he lay in bed, Joey thought, "Perhaps, if I meditate, I might contact with her."

Rising from his bed, Joey went over to the night stand to adjust the switch on the lamp. He dimmed the light to bathe the room in a faint yellow glow before hurrying to his desk and sitting in the chair. Relaxing himself, Joey put his hands, palms up, on his knees and breathed deeply a few times. Then, he stilled himself even further before closing his eyes to begin the meditation in which he hoped might bring forth a response from his mother. Desperately seeking to contact her, Joey emptied his mind of all thoughts and remained motionless in his chair.

Though he was no expert on meditation, he had read a few books on the topic and was familiar with the techniques. All of the paranormal books he read stressed the same thing: quiet the mind! It seemed stillness was the essential ingredient whenever a person attempted to contact spirits. So, letting all pesky thoughts drift from his mind, he sat with his spine straight and focused his attention on the area between his eyebrows. This area above the bridge of the nose was what psychics referred to as the third eye. With his eyes shut, Joey stared at the darkness, waiting patiently for a sign from her.

A few minutes into the meditation, Joey began to feel a strange pulsating between his eyebrows. And the longer he remained still, the more the pulsating continued. Soon, the pulsating spread and his entire body began to vibrate. Along with the vibrating, he began to detect specks of light emerging from the darkness of his third eye. As he observed the specks of light, he noticed that each one started to expand in size and began to develop into recognizable forms. But, the forms he now recognized had nothing to do with his mother. What Joey saw glowing in his "third eye" were smiley faces—dozens of them.

The smiley faces, in assorted sizes and colors, began zooming across his "third eye" like stars shooting across the night’s sky. In awe, Joey remained quiet, watching the spectacular and supernatural display. Though he was amazed by what he was witnessing, he was disappointed that the marvelous scene in his mind had nothing to do with his mother. He hoped the smiley faces might vanish and something related to her might appear instead. But, Joey would have no such luck; the smiley faces continued to flood his mind. Frustrated, he opened his eyes to end his meditation session.

Leaping to his feet, he walked into the kitchen to sit in a chair by the table. Baffled by the smiley faces, he began to dwell on the weird incident which had taken place moments earlier in his bedroom. After spending a few minutes trying to make sense of what had happened, he decided that it was best to forget the incident because the more he mulled over it, the more confused he became. Pushing the mystifying experience aside, he rose from the chair and reached for his jacket. Fed up with the smiley faces and his unsuccessful attempt to reach his mom, he was going to visit his sister to celebrate his birthday with her.

Leaving his apartment, he walked down a flight of stairs. But, just before he exited the building, he stopped by his mailbox to check for any letters. After opening his mailbox, he noticed a single envelope inside, and judging from the square shape of the envelope, he realized someone had sent him a birthday card. When he removed the card from the envelope, Joey could hardly believe what he was looking at. In his hand, he clutched a birthday card with smiley faces all over the front of it. Stunned by what he was viewing, Joey knew the card had to be tied to his meditation. He just needed to figure out how.

He stared hard at the card until finally the mystery began to unravel. Suddenly, the smiley faces he saw in his third eye upstairs while meditating made sense to him. He realized his purpose for meditating had been to contact his mother. And while he sought to see her face or hear her voice, he had no idea that his mother had other plans to communicate with him. His mom used the smiley faces—the ones in his third eye and on his birthday card—to let him know she was aware of his request. By contacting Joey in such an unusual way, his mother let him know she hadn't forgotten him on his birthday.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 932

I dreamt about a picture of a Victorian lady reclining on a hammock slung between two trees. Not once, but twice. In the dream, I was stood in front of the picture as if I was in an art gallery.

Within a few days, my mother had a stroke. When she was finally stable enough to go into a standard hospital room, the picture was hanging outside the door.

So nice to see a story from you.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I dreamt about a picture of a Victorian lady reclining on a hammock slung between two trees. Not once, but twice. In the dream, I was stood in front of the picture as if I was in an art gallery.

Within a few days, my mother had a stroke. When she was finally stable enough to go into a standard hospital room, the picture was hanging outside the door.

So nice to see a story from you.
As you are aware, that was your subconscious preparing you for future events. Since you are a creative person, you didn't have a precognitive dream about your mom's stroke. People who have precognitive dreams--seeing the actual events--tend to be less creative than those who receive the message in drips and drabs, which forces the dreamer to investigate for clues as a detective would to extract the full meaning.

Anyhow, hope your mom's okay. And keep searching your dreams.

Thanks. You know it was the Brits who were deeply involved with spiritual stuff. In order to be a star in this field, you had to visit England. If interested, check out this Brit woman--Florence Marryat (1837?-1899). Incredible woman.

Last edited by Cityboy; 04-28-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Old 04-29-2017, 02:46 PM
spshane (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 23

I feel like I'm being told a story rather than having the story play out for me as I read it (show don't tell). I would suggest get rid of the passive verbs (began to, etc.)
Old 04-29-2017, 03:36 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 130

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
I feel like I'm being told a story rather than having the story play out for me as I read it (show don't tell). I would suggest get rid of the passive verbs (began to, etc.)
Good advice. Verbs weak, story loose. A few rewrites would help.

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Fiction