WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Medical Resources

Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 PM
tremor (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Medical Resources

Looking for any resources people are using for medical related writing. My character is a surgeon, so watching surgery videos is a huge help, but I'm having trouble with the speech of it all.

I don't want to to get too technical in the medical speak, but I want it to be accurate. From watching the videos and cross referencing the tools, I know what tool my character would be asking for, but I don't know what size or variation of tool the surgeon needs.
In the the end, my story is about the character himself, but I feel like to I need to portray him as a professional who knows what he's doing.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

"If I knew then what I know now, I'd stay six years old." -"Thrones" by Alexisonfire
Old 05-18-2015, 04:45 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Brain surgeon, bone surgeon, what kinda surgeon?
Old 05-18-2015, 04:51 PM
tremor (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 4

There's kinda two timelines (three if I count the few scenes I'll have of surgery training)- military medical officer, specializing in surgery, subspecialty in trauma surgery; and later in life a general surgeon with a speciality in trauma surgery and a subspecialty in microsurgery.

"If I knew then what I know now, I'd stay six years old." -"Thrones" by Alexisonfire
Old 05-19-2015, 02:11 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by tremor View Post
There's kinda two timelines (three if I count the few scenes I'll have of surgery training)- military medical officer, specializing in surgery, subspecialty in trauma surgery; and later in life a general surgeon with a speciality in trauma surgery and a subspecialty in microsurgery.

Looks to me like you are slicin' a very large piece of pie.

Good luck with your appetite.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section