WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Emily 'Em' Taylor

Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403
Default Emily 'Em' Taylor

Hello, I'm Emily Taylor, I'm 25, and was born on the Forth of July 2345 in Oklahoma City the capital of the United States. I worked as a society reporter for the Daily American. You know dog shows, ice cream socials, crap dead end stories like that. Then I got the opportunity to make my career.
I live in a world of male domination and it's been that way since 2182, it's a time frame most refer to as the war of 82, 2081 until 2182. Anyway. I got a chance of a lifetime when the new war with the Bastards, that's not a bad word it what Earth calls them - The Bastards.
well, anyway, because I had a security clearance to report on high brow dog shows I was able to take a slot as a war correspondent. Don't even think that I can't take care of myself. I had a uncle when I was growing up that taught me to box, girls weren't allowed in the golden gloves but I could help train the boys that could compete - I was a hell of a lot better than they were. I could have knocked any of them out cold before the ringing of the bell had left the air they would have been on their back on the mat -

OUT COLD.

Sorry, didn't mean to yell; sometimes I get carried away.

Anyway, I guess you should know that I don't care much for men in general; except Captain John "Jack" Baker. I love him, we cohabitate.

The trip to space was a adventure, maybe a misadventure. I 'accidently killed a man on Moon Base Alpha'. yes it was an accident, let me explain - You see, There was this bar fight and I got trapped in a corner. This man came... well he was pulling down his pants and... I hit with a table leg, I swing it like a ball bat and... well, he didn't make it.

I met several members of the Consortium when I got to The Keep, that's a space station. Oh the consortium is the governing body for the Libertines - They run The Keep. They're smugglers and after the event at Moon base I sort of just... Well, I was blackmailed, over the moon base deal into doing some bad things.

Anyway that's how I became who I am three mounts later, I joined the Libertines, I'm a Ensign in their space navy. I have fought in three nasty fire fights. I got dozens of people killed; not so proud of that, but I am proud that I killed a bunch of the enemy, maybe a thousand; men, women, children, and their pets.

I serve now as a Brevet Lieutenant, in the Libertine Forces. I am Captain and Master of the War Dragon Azure. we're going to kill every one of these bastards. That was the derogatory from of the word not the name of the enemy we are fighting.

That's all.

Last edited by max crash; 08-25-2014 at 04:45 PM..
Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Well, I think you need to take a deep breath and relax.
Have a drink. *holds out a cup of water*

Please sit down.

Now, if I may, Why have you come here today?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:32 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I have a flask of grain alcohol in my jacket pocket.
would you like a drink - you know water is bad for ya'
Old 07-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Thank you, but no thanks.
Water is only bad when untreated, this as pure as it gets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:49 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

ok, it's your loss - why am I here, I want to know if I'm real - am I crazy or am I a figment of my own imagination and perfect in every way.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:28 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

did I dose off?

where did you go.

tee hee, you can't think of any questions - I am perfect in every way.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

I think you may have dosed of.

What makes you think that you may be crazy?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:30 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

HA, you misunderstand the meaning of crazy in my world.

*leans back in her chair and puts one of her boots on the table*

crazy is a good thing, it forms a protective shell over the you that hides deep inside. I afraid I'm not crazy and the real me is being damaged, I'm going to need her after the war. It would ease my mind if you thought I was crazy. if you were sure of it then it would be better and I would leave.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

So to but it another way, crazy still means what I think it means, and you and your fellow soldiers (by the sound of it) are using temporary insanity as a coping mechanism for hardship and war wounds. Have you heard of the Berserkers of the north Europeans back in the dark to middle ages (800 to about 1300, but don’t quote me on that). They would prepare before battle to be fearless, and then go into battle and fight hard and recklessly. While the where various means to achieve the berserker frame of mind, such as drugs, hatred, rage, meditation and so on, some of them would mean that the person mind was so far away from day to day life that the horror of war would not affect them afterwards. I know it is not the same situation as you are in, but it was a form of self induced craziness to protect the person mental wellbeing.

What do you miss most about home, what the least?

Old 07-12-2014, 09:44 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

we're not soldiers, we're WARRIORS! sorry- I guess that might sound like a berserker, but they had it easy with their swords and clubs, it's not like pushing button and setting off a solar cannon.

there are enemy ships we call scouts, they usually have about a 150 Bustards in them, they travel in family units, a solar cannon when it makes a direct hit leaves nothing but ash.

I bet it smell worse than scorching blood on a hot battle deck but it's there blood that is turned to ash, sometimes we survive our wounds.

bored now - good bye
Old 07-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

The difference between solider and warrior is the origin of the word. That it. Now there are associations with both words the make people think they mean slightly different things.

Come back if you want. I have more water.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:55 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

you're wrong, a solider defends a warrior attacks
Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Those are associations of roles with the words. That said we come from different places, different times, there is bound to be some misunderstanding.

On a aside, did I offend with the question about home? If so then I do apologies.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:44 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

nope, mother - mentally absent - 'if you're not having a baby then you are neglecting your role as a woman.'

father was a workaholic, but he took me fishing on Sundays, I liked that

my sister is a nun, gives me the willies

home was nothing impressive we had two houses, winter in the one in Oklahoma city and April to October in the one in reclamation camp 23, Texas. Dads a foreman.

when I was in ok city, I spent a lot of time with my uncle. moms brother. I like him better than my - will you know what I mean if I say family? we spent a lot of time together. He died cereous of the liver. You'd think I'd not drink so much given that fact. Whatever. would you like to meet some of my friends, like maybe K, not k-a-y but just K because she is crazy with a capital K. She's scary
Old 07-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

I think we should leave K alone for now, she is probably busy with something.

You said you started out as a reporter, how come?

Old 07-13-2014, 01:57 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

Yea, a reporter, I have been to so many ice cream socials, church outings, and just social farces that... I don't know, it was a job and for a woman in my world, jobs are hard to get. We're supposed to be making babies.

They sent me to a shrink when I started to wear pants. He said I had aggression issues.

but that all changed when I went to space, the women are much more in control of their own lives. I like it in space. I still report on the war for my paper. I don't know if they print it or not, but the Military Space Times picks all of my articles up. I'm a big fish up here in more ways than one. Do you have any ice cream?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Escriber* (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 119
Icon14 Emily Taylor

So, Emily you want the ice cream?

What's your flavor?
I am a cookies n' cream kind of girl.

You mention that the women are in control of their lives in space-
It's all pretty real up there huh.

Either you take a stand or you keep falling after the first one.
No despair- it is the Decision.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:27 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

In control, well as much as the men are in control of their lives,

doing what you want to do is always secondary to what you have to do. On earth I couldn't have been a warrior. it's just a fluke that I was sent to space. And I can already hear you paging back to where I told you I was blackmailed into this.

but I like being a warrior, I like it a lot. I like just speaking my mind and not caring if you like it or not.

I get right to the implied question, no one is in total control of their lives but I have as much control as the men in space. And a hell of a lot more than when I was on earth.

I'll have fudge swirl, two scoops, not in a waffle cone - one of the other kind.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:31 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

we were boarded the other day by bastards, it had been a nasty fire fight and we were dead in space.

the bastard attacked me. I was out of ammo and so I pulled my knife, he grabbed me and I pushed the knife under his neck armor, it went through his neck and into his mouth cracking his skull. he was about the same height as me and his eyes just went blank as his green blood ran down my hand,

that's all,

forget the ice cream - I need a drink.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics