WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Kawasaki Ninja 250R?

Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Cloverish (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 82
Default Kawasaki Ninja 250R?

That name up there is a motorcycle, a limited addition motorcycle it says. I just wanted others opinion on this bike. Is it good? Oh and maybe help defining all that this page says...

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...0r%20%20le.htm

I don't know what Bore x stroke means. If that engine is top of the notch. What max torque is. I'm at a lost with that page and practically everything on it

All help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Well, it looks like a more compact version of the Kawasaki, to me. This one a sports bike? Looks... light on it's feet.

Bore x stroke... eek, is that to do with figuring out the stroke ratio? You could try googling stroke ratio? I don't think the stroke ratio has any impact overall on max torque, though.

To be honest, if this is for fiction, don't blind your readers with too much on the technical front.

How are you using this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 01-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Cloverish (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 82

I don't know if it's a sport bike. I want him to ride it on the streets, though.

He will explain it and kind of get lost in admiring it and babble on and on about it explain all its sleek factors, and high speed-yness, and stuff like that. He'll be one of those car fanatics aswell, but his true love is in motorcycles.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Okay, my recommendation here is to have a look at motorbike forums. Look at how they speak amongst themselves. .

I have a main MC who's a mechanic, and there's nothing better than just watching how mechanics (or in this case: bikers) act around one another.

Try a search on that forum for your motorbike, or one like it. You can make a list of potential problems etc. Someone who's passionate about this will know the pros and cons.

Eg:

Halliday took something else out and offered it over. “Okay, here we go. You’re the mechanic here, what’s that?”

Life instantly seemed a little clearer as I took it off him, I even offered a smile. “It’s, it’s—a switch.”

“Yes,” said Halliday as Craig sat there chuckling. “Can you be more specific?”

Giving a sigh, I handed it back. “Hazard light switch,” I said tapping it. “That one in particular is from a Land Rover Defender 110. It’s a slippery little sod, mostly because, if the indicators themselves aren’t working, most people bypass considering checking the wiring to the switch.” I pointed at the two blocks of pins on the back. “Top ones handle the power supply, bottom go totalitarian on whether the flasher unit works. Malfunction is usually down to the power supply.”

Halliday looked the pins over and I bit down a smile as he twisted it this way, that.

“But it basically makes a clicky noise if you flick it,” I added.

Again Craig chuckled as Halliday stopped turning the switch and flicked it. “Like this?”

Click.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).

Last edited by Whiskers; 01-03-2014 at 01:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Whiskers For This Useful Post:
Cloverish (01-04-2014)
Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

It's a sports bike but not one you'd really boast about. Small capacity.

If he's a proper bike nut then put him on an Italian v-twin. Ducati 918 is a good option. Alternatively look at a Buell - essentially a Harley that goes fast and handles like a proper bike. Or put him on a vintage bike, a Vincent or a Triton (hybrid triumph/norton)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Mike C; 01-06-2014 at 02:24 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike C For This Useful Post:
Cloverish (01-06-2014), Whiskers (01-06-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:28 AM
JP_Inkswell (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 216

Bore X stroke is part of a mathematical formula used to define piston displacement. Torque is one of several ways of measuring the power output of reciprocating engines. it gets more complicated from there, check out a book called Auto Math if you really want to go there.

I agree with Mike C. 250cc is a wannabe, even for a small bike. As Hot Rodders, and Battleship sailors have long said. There is no replacement for displacement.
Cloverish (01-07-2014), Whiskers (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Mohican (Online)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 613

Torque is mechanical advantage. Power is the rate of torque. power and torque are related but not the same thing.

one horsepower equals 550 foot pounds of torque in one second.

Bore is the diameter of the piston or pistons.
Stroke is the distance the piston travels from top dead center (TDC) to bottom dead center (BDC)

Bore x stroke x number of cylinders equals the volume displacement.

If the bore of a piston is greater than the stroke, the ratio of bore/stroke is said to be oversquare.

If the bore of a piston is less than the stroke, the ration of the bore/stroke is said to be undersquare.

If the bore of the piston is equal to the stroke, it is said to be a "square" engine.

A 250 might be okay for a lighter rider on streets and secondary roads, but would be a bit small for freeway or interstate driving.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
Cloverish (01-10-2014)

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section