WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Book Covers When Publishing!?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 AM
DarkPhreak (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Icon6 Book Covers When Publishing!?

Ok I have a question for all indie authors on here - when you get your book published, do you do the cover yourself, use the tools provided by the publisher or get someone to do it for you or pay to get it done??

I know for a fact that book covers are important, doesn't matter about getting your synopsis perfect to entice people if your book cover doesn't grab the reader first. I know it should be 'Don't judge a book by its cover' but all readers do in this day and age.

Well if any indies out there want cheap book covers I'm not too badly prices and I've worked for a couple authors recently!

Please check me out - darkphreakarts.co.uk

Old 04-08-2013, 07:39 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

I say buy a cover. I know people who will do flawless work for 50$.

Othewise check this out its a DIY page.

http://aliannedonnelly.com/2013/04/0...ers-and-tools/
Old 04-09-2013, 03:00 AM
DarkPhreak (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I make them for 30 myself! I've seen people who make them theirselves ... I think if you have the talent then yes but if you haven't, you are letting your book down!
Old 04-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Being a complete techno idiot, I just say 'yes' to whatever my publisher cover artist decides.

Saying that, if I went the self-pub way, I'd probably pay. I'd screw it up just attempting to design it myself.

DarkP, your covers and banners look really good. You thought of working with a publisher? I know a few who are looking for cover artists

I'd just chack your website, though, the first para is blended in with part of the heading (at least on my link).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).

Last edited by Whiskers; 04-09-2013 at 05:14 AM..
Old 04-09-2013, 06:29 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Did all of mine myself. But many people just don't have the tools or the skills or the artistic ability to make their own covers. That's when they need to go to someone for help.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 04-09-2013, 08:24 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 140

In order to make my book a bestseller and a must read for all ages, my cover will simply be a photo of me striking a pose similiar to Michelangelo's David.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Ditto... Anything from my facebook profile lot should work right? lol
Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 140

Originally Posted by calligraphy View Post
Ditto... Anything from my facebook profile lot should work right? lol
Absolutely guaranteed no1 on the amazon download list, imo.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:57 AM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Oh that and grumpy cat LOL
Old 06-14-2013, 10:17 PM
wickedsunny (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

@DarkPhreak

One suggestion.

Do not use so many stylish fonts for the covers.

It took me 3 seconds to figure out what is the title on your covers with the dark backgrounds.

Make them simple bold and big.

If it is online or on a book shelf, the title should be readable from far away or people will just skip your book.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

For my self-published books, I create my own covers. I use GIMP and stock images from Fotolia, iStockPhoto or SXC.hu (those are free). It took a few months of playing around with it, but I think I have the process down now =) There are very good cover artists out there that won't put you in debt. If you're not comfortable doing your own cover, I strongly suggest hiring someone. Covers have a huge impact on readers and can make or break your sales. Check out Victoria Miller. She is a friend of mine and very talented. She does cover art for multiple publishing houses and also freelances for very reasonable prices.

|
|
Old 01-16-2014, 07:06 AM
DarkPhreak (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Originally Posted by wickedsunny View Post
@DarkPhreak

One suggestion.

Do not use so many stylish fonts for the covers.

It took me 3 seconds to figure out what is the title on your covers with the dark backgrounds.

Make them simple bold and big.

If it is online or on a book shelf, the title should be readable from far away or people will just skip your book.
Thanks, but in a lot of cases it's not my decision on the font, it's the authors and what they want!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

Originally Posted by DarkPhreak View Post
Thanks, but in a lot of cases it's not my decision on the font, it's the authors and what they want!
To some extent that's true, but there is a way to use fancy fonts and still have them stand out. There was a fantastic blog post I read a while back about how cover artists and movie poster designers catch your attention right off the bat. One of the biggest things was contrast and colors. I wish I still had that link. It was brilliant advice for cover artists and designers =) Essentially, if the background is dark, use light fonts. If it's busy, use bold, simple fonts. If there are a lot of colors, use a black/metallic font... Really great stuff. But I can't find the link anywhere =(

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to Whisper For This Useful Post:
Whiskers (01-18-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:11 PM
lisahauer09 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

If you e-publish, can you put whatever you want on the cover? I want to put a photograph I took of what might be a ghost in my window.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Whisper (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 87

Originally Posted by lisahauer09 View Post
If you e-publish, can you put whatever you want on the cover? I want to put a photograph I took of what might be a ghost in my window.
If you are self-publishing, then yes. You can put whatever you want on your cover because you are your own boss =) The question would be, though, whether it fits the book, whether it meshes well within your genre, and how it would stand out against all the other covers in the genre. They say not to judge a book by the cover, but most people, I think, still do.

Something personal like that might be really neat for you as the author, but keep in mind the cover is the one static piece of promotion and marketing you will have. Will you still like it three months from now? Will it help you sell more books?

|
|
Old 02-25-2014, 01:30 PM
wellness411 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default book covers

Greetings Writers,

My WIP is a prescriptive self-help ms. Nearly all nonfiction jackets have
blurbs.

I want to have blurbs and endorsements from experts in hand prior to
submitting queries to agents. I know many personally. In order for
the expert to write the blurb, each would require part of my WIP.
What parts are to be sent:
synopsis, proposal, introduction, chapter summaries, outline, initial
chapter, etc?

Regards,

wellness411
Old 02-25-2014, 04:29 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Ask them, not us.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM
wellness411 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default jacket

Indeed, asking is savvy.
I was enquiring about the typical convention. It seems the norm is to
provide the experts with the entire ms.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:23 AM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Noteworthy