WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

I need help!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Lanian (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default I need help!

Hi everyone.
I released my first novel on amazon this weekend, but even after advertising with friends and family, I've simply stalled.
So I'm looking to writer's forums for help.
I'm curious as to what I'm doing wrong. At what point would people on amazon actually see it?
amazon.com/dp/B00F6GYFRW
That's the link. I figure many of you have done this and might catch something I've missed.
If you see anything that I could change/rewrite/recategorize/etc. I'm wide open to suggestions.
Thanks,
-J

Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 44

Spotted a major issue. The sample can't be viewed. Will turn away many buyers. Contact amazon because it seems to be a glitch.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Lmc71775 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 122

Is this a self-published book? Or are you with a publisher?

You should have devised a plan for your release, perhaps even before publication. This isn't my territory, but from what I've read you have to really put yourself out there. Join every social networking site like Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr is another one isn't it? I'm just thinking off the top of my head.

You could join more writing forums. Depending on certain ones, you could put your link to your book in your sig line for every post you make. Have a blog? Website? Reviews, get as many as you can. If you self-published, be sure to read their guidelines because a lot of them don't take self-pubbers.

Library? School (if it's YA)? Bookmarks you can hand out? Any swag at all? I'm not sure what your situation is, but it doesn't sound like your were prepared. But you can always fix that with a big marketing plan and act it out fast.

Also vitural blog tours, interviews. Also writing short stories and poems and getting them published online or in print you can boost your book with your bio. That could draw some attention your way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Lanian (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by FutureFootball View Post
Spotted a major issue. The sample can't be viewed. Will turn away many buyers. Contact amazon because it seems to be a glitch.
How did it appear for you? I just tested the link, and it popped up for me. Cause, yes, that would be a major issue. -I- personally wouldn't buy a book I couldn't sample.

@Lmc71775 - I'm selfpublishing. Sticking with digital for now until I generate enough interest to go paperback. As for blogs- what kind of blog do you figure?

Thanks for the replies. I put a lot of work into this, and I'm really hoping it pays off.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:22 PM
FutureFootball (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 44

Tried it again and it worked. But the average buyer will only try it once. Ask a few people to check it out to see if it is a recurrent problem
Old 09-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 140

link worked fine for me.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Lmc71775 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 122

Well I use Blogger. But I did this years ago, so I'm sure they're better ones out there. Hopefully someone will recommend some.

Getting into blogging will definitely increase traffic to your book. When you create a blog and join a new writing forum or whatever kind of forum that will help promote your book, be sure to put that link in your signature line, so every post you make could help drive clicks to at least view your book. Whether they buy it or not is their decision. This is just to increase traffic to your link.

As for the editing. That should have been done before the book was released. I do hope you did that. Readers can be fickle, especially to editing done on a book and will most likely say straight up how they felt about the book. Be prepared for negative comments if they arise. I strongly suggest you not commenting on reader reviews. It just breeds negative feedback. I've seen authors write back to their reviews, defending their work and being defensive in doing it and it has caused that author a public meltdown which then causes damage to your book sales.

Make sure when you do post things on your blog (once you start up) always be professional.

Last edited by Lmc71775; 09-16-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Lanian (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Lmc71775 View Post
Well I use Blogger.
As for the editing. That should have been done before the book was released. I do hope you did that. ...
I'm looking into blogger right now. Should the blog stick to writing, or can it be on any topic? (I'm an avid backpacker, hence why I ask)

As for the editing- I had it edited, so it SHOULD be good in that regards.

@Futurefootball - everyone I've asked didn't seem to have any issues. Maybe it was a fluke?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Mister URL

I use WordPress for my blog and it is primarily about my writing and where I put notices that a new book is published. But I sometimes go off down a strange pathway that is unrelated.

I believe the sheer volume of ebooks on Amazon and other sites are one reason why you do not get many hits on your book. Anyone can be an author and anyone can publish a book now, and most citizens on the planet apparently do.

Some kind of buzz - like getting sent to rehab if you are famous and are dropping out of the spotlight - helps with getting your name out there. I have noticed that anyone who has fame of any type can get a book published and some people will buy it.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Lmc71775 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 122

Lanian, you can have your blog be whatever you want it to be. You have complete control of it.

But I would suggest sticking to a few important things, instead of having it all over the place. Say for instance, you're writing Romance novels, you can have all things romance, which could include movies and tv shows or whatever. Or if you're into paranormal, you can have ghostly stories and everything else that fits under that umbrella.

Or if you're into pets, have an animal blog, you can have links to recommended places like the animal welfare and some links and gadgets that protects animals, animal foundation. You get the picture.

I wouldn't have it about pets and romance, and movies and furniture and learning how to play black jack all on the same blog. It makes it hard to follow someone that has an overwhelming amount of subjects. Everyone who likes romance, may not all like reading about teaching a cat not to scratch up your bed posts. You get what I mean?

And I wouldn't advise having your blog too personal. You can of course write something light, like a movie you just saw and review it, but I wouldn't necessarily have "I had a fight with my husband again" sorta thing. Not when you're trying to sell a book.

This is just my opinion on it. But I do see more blogs successful this way.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Lanian (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Gotcha- That's what I meant, whether it had to be specifically about writing, or if I could do another subject (singular).
Old 09-18-2013, 11:21 AM
huntsman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 7

Don't give up. You could join additionally composing gatherings. Contingent upon certain ones, you could put your connection to your book in your sig line for each post you make. Have an online journal? Site? Audits, get the same amount as you can. In the event that you self-distributed, make sure to read their guidelines since a ton of them don't take self-pubbers.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 PM
lisahauer09 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Seems like most of the people who self-published are the ones who can't seem to sell their work. What about when you're published by a mainstream publisher who pays you? Do people still have trouble selling it, or does the publisher know where to go to market your book? Just wondering; it seems like the self-publishing companies just publish your books and kick you out the door with them and expect you to do your own marketing. Do regular publishers do that too?
Old 02-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I tried following the link, I got this:

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Go to Amazon.com's Home Page

As LMC says, you really needed to formulate a plan before publication, even before you finished writing.

Blogs: go for wordpress rather than blogger, its more flexible, you can make it look like anything you want and it seems to be more google-friendly.

Social media is a minefield, but remember it's a 2 way thing. Don't just tweet, facebook etc in a vacuum. Follow the right people, post often and make it relevant, retweet stuff, post useful links, be a part of the gang that people want to follow. Set your blog so every time you post, it links to facebook and to twitter. Blog about interesting and related stuff, as someone else suggested. Don't do the typical newb thing of writing about your writing, and how hard it is, and blah blah blah... nobody cares except other unsuccessful writers. Make it appeal to READERS.

It probably won't help you much now, making a social media impact is generally a 2 year project, but you need to start somewhere. And be working on it while you write the next book.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:20 AM
jimmymc (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 170

It takes time, hard work, links that connect and some good reviews.

Writing the book is the easy part of self publishing.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Originally Posted by lisahauer09 View Post
Seems like most of the people who self-published are the ones who can't seem to sell their work. What about when you're published by a mainstream publisher who pays you? Do people still have trouble selling it, or does the publisher know where to go to market your book? Just wondering; it seems like the self-publishing companies just publish your books and kick you out the door with them and expect you to do your own marketing. Do regular publishers do that too?
The big companies have distribution deals set in place. Eg, one author will have so many books printed off then districuted by publisher to selected stores etc. Their company will do all the marketting, provide giveaway copies to the author, merchandise, arrange signings, snacks etc, you name it. As you move down the publishing ladder into the smaller publishing companies, the more you have to do. Most won't have a distribution deal set in place, which means POD comes in: publishers don't produce a certain number copies, they just leave to the orders that come on and print... on demand etc. Most won't have a marketing department, period.

So it depends where you go. But I always think that no matter company you are with, there's some effort required by the author. The one thing to watch: if it costs you in any way, then you back away. Even with the smaller epubs, you shouln't have to pay to market (other than in sweat and tears ).

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 02-12-2014, 03:19 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
But I always think that no matter company you are with, there's some effort required by the author. The one thing to watch: if it costs you in any way, then you back away. Even with the smaller epubs, you shouln't have to pay to market (other than in sweat and tears ).
As Whiskers says, the bigger the publisher, the bigger their budget. One author I know not only had a dream 6 figure advance (which in itself was a headache; he had to decide whether he wanted to be a full time writer or stick with the business he'd spent years building) but they also made his book their 'lead' book for that quarter; they allocated another 6 figure sum for marketing and promoting his book. He spent a year (having decided to leave the world of business behind) doing a book signing tour around the US, radio spots, etc, the whole works.

Even within that publishing house there is a hierarchy - his book got the big money because they expected it to make the big money (movie rights were also sold as part of the deal). Further down the line books get smaller and smaller budgets.

But as W says, they pay, but they expect you to put in the work. You are expected to run your own social media campaign etc (again, limited exceptions, a friend of my daughter works in PR; her sole job is to tweet for a number of celebrities to keep them looking good and their profile high). You are expected to show up for signings, etc (or, if you're further down the line, arrange your own).

If you self pub, that whole deal is on your shoulders, and it will cost you, if you want it to, but steer clear of the self-pub companies that offer you the marketing deal; you get very little, if anything, for your money. A lot of them rely on taking your money to make a profit (Publish America being the worst culprit) rather than selling books.

It needn't cost much to become a demon marketer - spend wisely, rather than big. Consider hiring a publicist, there are several out there who work solely for writers (and a few that write themselves) but set objectives, set a timeframe, set a budget. Send press releases to your local media. Make friends with your local bookstore owners. Get yourself interviewed. Offer to write book reviews for the local paper. Get your book into local bookstores. Do whatever it takes. Nobody ever sold a book by sitting on their hands.
Whiskers (02-12-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

Still can't make the link work. The link you need to be promoting is this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9FSQ68/...kindle_ext_tmb for kindle or http://www.amazon.com/Rights-J-T-Hat...mm_pap_title_0 for paperback.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
Still can't make the link work. The link you need to be promoting is this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I9FSQ68/...kindle_ext_tmb for kindle or http://www.amazon.com/Rights-J-T-Hat...mm_pap_title_0 for paperback.
He released that six days ago, is that right? Self-pub... 1st published work, is that right too? He's done... really well.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).

Last edited by Whiskers; 02-12-2014 at 11:14 AM..
Old 02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572

In what respect?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing