WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

The Pyramid of Publishing Success

Old 12-18-2009, 05:29 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Thanks for this coming back t the top. It's getting saved in the writing favourites and god damnit 2010 is gonna be my year.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:15 AM
Lin

You go, girl
Old 12-20-2009, 01:06 AM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 85

Originally Posted by Lin View Post
She is, basically, not a fellow writer but... and I don't think this particularly unkind, *pretending to be a friend in order to try to sign you up to get screwed so she can make a few bucks of it.
Ah bugger, I've already invited her to my party!

How can I let her down gently?
Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Short+Sweet Theatre needs good writers to become
Old 12-20-2009, 12:03 PM
FK7 (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 6

I suppose this applies to short stories?

I can see how this could apply to novels in a sense, but magazines don't publish novels, or do they?
Old 12-20-2009, 01:50 PM
Lin

They barely publish short stories anymore. *I think you'd be REALLY hard-pressed to find a mag that would publish a novel. *Even the SF pulps usually don't spring for more than a novela. (Or novelette or novelito or whatever)
Old 02-17-2011, 09:17 AM
writerjohnb (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 13

Besides Duotrope's Digest, there's Ralan's list of publishing sites. He breaks it down by category and pay-scales. Ralan's Websravaganza - I just joined and can't put up links yet.

JohnB

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Lin

Ralans's is only F/SF
Old 02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
john1948 (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

I've had people tell me to write a book, about my life, so when I was on the set of Jericho (CBS), and someone I respected, told me I should write a book. I did. I should have edited more, but , the way I see it, if the book is anygood, it will sell. I'm happy my books out there, waiting for the phone call now, for my book to be made into a movie ( Long shot, but I'm in the game)
If you listen to some of the people on here you will never get published.
Go head on write your book, publish it yourself if you have to.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

John, if you wrote your book as well as you wrote your post above, I'd suggest you go straight to self-publishing.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
JennyB (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

m1thr0s,
I'm seriously considering self publishing too, after just having opened my 3 millionth rejection email. My friend said I should be happy the agents even respond at all – she doesn’t even get rejections! Just never hears from them again. Which totally sucks. If I hear the words “You don’t have a sufficient platform” one more time, I’m going to scream. My books is about my online dating experiences, something a lot of people can relate to. Is anyone else out there self publishing and building a platform?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Lin

Here's a way to look at it.
Would you be willing to spend a lot of money and work to publish your book? You know there are people who would buy it?
Because if you wouldn't, why would they?

How about if you THINK there are people out there who will buy it and that you can reach them, but don't have to invest much in it, can ramp up?
That's what self-publishing is these days. I'd advise it at a first move, rather than last resort. You can spend years screwing around with this thing, then wait another couple of years until it comes out. Or you can be out this summer and finding out if you have a readership you can corral.

So is this book comic?

Or tragic:? :-)
Old 03-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Lin

I see you're new here, Jenny.
If you start looking into SP, try reading these two posts first
http://linrobinson.com/linrob.php?catid=30

And if you want to get serious, or even experiment, I'd suggest that you, right now, start free acounts at lulu.com createspace.com and smashwords.com
Old 03-18-2011, 02:35 PM
JennyB (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Lin, wow! That blog post is awesome. I come from an art background, and no one tells painters and printmakers that their prints are 'vanity' prints because they printed them themselves. Thanks so much for the link! I'm going to look into the 3 sites you suggested.

My book is funny, lots of anecdotes and short stories about my and other people's experiences with online dating.

I have been reading and researching and I found this woman called Wendy Keller, she's an agent and does this 'How to build your platform' webinar. It's something like $99 bucks and includes writing a marketing plan. I think I'm going to do it, mostly because I know nothing about marketing and I think that knowledge might come in handy outside of this book dream I've been chasing.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:24 AM
Lin

That's a very good point about art printers, Jenny. Thanks.

Don't EVEN pay some damned agent a hundred bucks for that snake oil. That's exactly the sort of scam writers need to avoid.

If you want to learn how to market (the term "platform" is bogus in this context: a platform isn't what you cook up, it's who you are) a book, read this hands-on stuff.

http://www.bauuinstitute.com/Marketing/Marketing.html

There are immense resources for that sort of thing free on line.

Keller is big red "not recommended" on Preditors and Editors. Didn't bother to look but I doubt she's an AAR member because it's considered unethical for an agent to charge for services like that. If she beleives in your work, she should rep it. If not, pass.

I ran a quick Google--wendy keller literary agent absoulutewrite--and immediately ran into a bad odor.
You should always do this with people you are thinking of getting involved with or spending money with.
For more tips on agent search, see this post:
http://mexipost.com/linrobinson/linrob.php?catid=34

Your book sounds to me like something that could be fairly successful, but unless it's incredibly written would have trouble with all the competition for that niche.

Let me suggest you do some major online research, looking for who publishes similar work. Your best bet might be a good small press, perhaps some of the new POD small presses.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Lin

By the way, one person webinars are bullshit. Why not just sell a pdf or podcast?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:01 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

Jenny B has only posted twice, each time to spam the webinar. That probably tells you all you need to know.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:14 AM
MTSmith (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Default RE:The Pyramid of Publishing Success

Interesting approach.

But, ultimately, you want to reach the end reader.

My humble advice would be to remove the "filter" and go to your readers directly. There are 2 BILLION people online. There are lots of ways to find them directly.

As I mention below.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:05 AM
indiewordsmith (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

"There are no guarantees of success, but a strategic approach and a willingness to work hard give you a 96% advantage over most other people who write."

So true, success is hard work. There are no short-cuts. Finding one's niche in the writing world can really be a challenge. However, every author reaps the reward of their success because the power of their material and the effort they put in it when it comes to getting it out there.

|
|
Old 07-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Crystal Parney (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

This pyramid notion is great. We all have to start somewhere, and ususally its at the bottom of the tree; you have to climb up it, and while you might get bumps and bruises, miss a few branches and fall back down, if you keep climbing you might get to the top!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:59 PM
wickedsunny (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Hmm, interesting idea Mike.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 PM
Harlequin (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default OnPublishing

the Pyramid of Publishing Success was actually really good! There are a lot of guides you can further read about self advocating and really putting yourself out there to get published. Starting with the lower, non-paying journals and online stuff should always be your step one to help set up a publishing platform. Because even if you write the most glorious piece of literature since Plato's Republic, no one will care if you have no credibility. It's not quite enough to just have a good story (although that's the heart of it all), you have to take steps to help yourself before anyone else can help you. That is what Issac did before Warm Bodies was made a movie- he used online resources and self advocating to make his voice heard, and his book read.
If you found this pyramid awesome (as I did) go to thetheredbyletters.com
These are people who are dedicated to helping writers create that platform.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing