WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Dear Crowdgather,

Old 07-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 45

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I really thought she must be joking -- but it looks she's deleted her work.
I wasn't satisfied with it ..and yea I threw a big strop. I've even asked Mohican to delete my account yet again! should I reconsider??

Old 07-26-2017, 07:49 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Originally Posted by Leila View Post
I wasn't satisfied with it ..and yea I threw a big strop. I've even asked Mohican to delete my account yet again! should I reconsider??

Don't ask Myers that... he likely not to give a satisfying answer.

I think you should reconsider.

The problem here is not the clique, but the lack of participating members. It might not get better. Dunno.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Leila (07-28-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 12:13 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 354

I wouldn't have told her what to do one way or the other.

So yes -- I suppose that wouldn't have been very satisfying.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

I would like you to reconsider - but that's just based on 'knowing' you from before and liking you.

Thing is - and these comments are not directed at you - if writers slap up their stuff and wait for advice/reactions/commentary - but don't reciprocate, or get involved - nothing moves. The boards are fairly stagnant at the moment.

Yep, it is the same few names having relatively inane but friendly exchanges in a bid to keep things going - but we're doing our best and making a regular time commitment to the site.

Up to you Leila - but I'd be sad to see you go . The tech issues are sorted now and new names are appearing every week - just takes time. x
Myers (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
I wouldn't have told her what to do one way or the other.

So yes -- I suppose that wouldn't have been very satisfying.

Yeah, we know.😀
Old 07-29-2017, 01:37 AM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 45

Now I'm left wondering what you might have said

thanks Grace, I appreciate your thoughtful reply

Yes there are new people signing up fairly regularly but unfortunately they tend not to stick around anymore, from what I've seen. Not what it used to be like. Oh well, times and forums change.

Last edited by Leila; 07-29-2017 at 02:59 AM..
Old 07-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Tally (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

Now I'm left wondering what you might have said

thanks Grace, I appreciate your thoughtful reply

Yes there are new people signing up fairly regularly but unfortunately they tend not to stick around anymore, from what I've seen. Not what it used to be like. Oh well, times and forums change.
Hi Leila,

I'm sure that nothing I say will come as a surprise, but maybe, just maybe, one or two of my observations in the past few days from when I joined might help whoever it concerns, to see it from a newbie's point of view.

1) I admit I didn't scour too deep into the site before I signed up. I mainly chose here because it didn't seem pretentious (I find this extremely off putting, I'm not an intellectual and have no time for those who prefer not speak plainly). The layout is also familiar to another forum I am part of, and so it felt comfortable.

2) Once signed up, I was a little dismayed to see such little action. Posts on the first pages of many threads are dated 2016. It feels like a ghost ship. Now, I'm no quitter and so I intend to stick around and hopefully be a part of the turning tides. However, I can see why some others would quickly move on. I have no problem with waiting for replies for my queries, but I did expect a faster turn-over of posts. It seems to me to be the biggest catch-22. You/we/the forum need to show activity to get people to stay, but that activity can only build if they stay and contribute! I'm already feeling frustrated for those of you who are clearly die-harders

3) The organisation of the site is a little confusing. At least, for me it is. I still feel like a child being dumped in a huge deserted office building, with signs pointing every which way. I was poking around for two days before I noticed the "members only" section. Again, once in these threads - some of them have great titles for help and guidance - last posts were 2016/2015. It doesn't inspire hope. :/

4) Finally, as the newbie... now I know how few members are here, it is even more intimidating to post etc. I know that this lies with me, but to break into an established group takes a leap of faith that the newbie wont be ignored, or scorned for not knowing better. Had this been my first internet forum, I don't think I'd be posting any of this!

I sincerely hope that whatever the reasons were for this place to falter, they are gone, and that it picks up again. I don't like moving once I've put my stuff down, and I'm a bit too stubborn to give up yet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tally For This Useful Post:
Leila (07-29-2017), Prodigalson (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:10 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 110

Originally Posted by Tally View Post
4) Finally, as the newbie... now I know how few members are here, it is even more intimidating to post etc. I know that this lies with me, but to break into an established group takes a leap of faith that the newbie wont be ignored, or scorned for not knowing better. Had this been my first internet forum, I don't think I'd be posting any of this!
I wouldn't worry too much. I'm not around much really, but I still keep an eye on what's happening from time to time, and the people who are left are all great peeps. They won't be judging you. Welcome aboard by the way.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Tally (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
I wouldn't worry too much. I'm not around much really, but I still keep an eye on what's happening from time to time, and the people who are left are all great peeps. They won't be judging you. Welcome aboard by the way.
Judged? Judged? I never said judged? Geez, now I feel I might get judged!

Thank you haha, I'm not the judging type either, I'm not qualified for that!

(Don't think I didn't notice the use of "they" and not "we", I'll be waiting for your judgement... )
Old 07-29-2017, 11:01 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 110

Well spotted! Suppose I aught to have said "we", but as I said: I'm not around much. This is the first time in months probably.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:14 PM
Leila (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 45

Hi Tally

thanks for your post, and welcome to the site!

This is still a good enough site as far as it goes. I first joined up several years ago when it was really buzzing, numerous contributions in poetry and fiction and free writing, critiques, and a large and diverse group of regular contributors. I then went off-sit for a while but I never really found any other writing forum to suit, so I ended up back here.

The current lack of actual creative activity on this place, especially when compared to its past glories, can be frustrating, and that's why I blew off a little steam. But you sound like someone who's willing to engage - stick around and see how it goes.

Nice to have you here, and btw I'm not too far away from you - in Glasgow.

Last edited by Leila; 07-29-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Old 07-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Tally (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

Hi Tally

thanks for your post, and welcome to the site!

This is still a good enough site as far as it goes. I first joined up several years ago when it was really buzzing, numerous contributions in poetry and fiction and free writing, critiques, and a large and diverse group of regular contributors. I then went off-sit for a while but I never really found any other writing forum to suit, so I ended up back here.

The current lack of actual creative activity on this place, especially when compared to its past glories, can be frustrating, and that's why I blew off a little steam. But you sound like someone who's willing to engage - stick around and see how it goes.

Nice to have you here, and btw I'm not too far away from you - in Glasgow.
Thank you for the welcome

Yes, only a couple of hours drive away!

I am certainly not planning on leaving any time soon, I just need more time to get my head around the place and take that leap into sharing my writing with people who know what they're talking about, rather than the well-meaning friends who just say "that's good" haha.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:15 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 847

Originally Posted by Tally View Post
Hi Leila,

I'm sure that nothing I say will come as a surprise, but maybe, just maybe, one or two of my observations in the past few days from when I joined might help whoever it concerns, to see it from a newbie's point of view.

1) I admit I didn't scour too deep into the site before I signed up. I mainly chose here because it didn't seem pretentious (I find this extremely off putting, I'm not an intellectual and have no time for those who prefer not speak plainly). The layout is also familiar to another forum I am part of, and so it felt comfortable.

2) Once signed up, I was a little dismayed to see such little action. Posts on the first pages of many threads are dated 2016. It feels like a ghost ship. Now, I'm no quitter and so I intend to stick around and hopefully be a part of the turning tides. However, I can see why some others would quickly move on. I have no problem with waiting for replies for my queries, but I did expect a faster turn-over of posts. It seems to me to be the biggest catch-22. You/we/the forum need to show activity to get people to stay, but that activity can only build if they stay and contribute! I'm already feeling frustrated for those of you who are clearly die-harders

3) The organisation of the site is a little confusing. At least, for me it is. I still feel like a child being dumped in a huge deserted office building, with signs pointing every which way. I was poking around for two days before I noticed the "members only" section. Again, once in these threads - some of them have great titles for help and guidance - last posts were 2016/2015. It doesn't inspire hope. :/

I sincerely hope that whatever the reasons were for this place to falter, they are gone, and that it picks up again. I don't like moving once I've put my stuff down, and I'm a bit too stubborn to give up yet

Have you gained access to members only? Because, there have been fairly regular posts of short stories there. I myself posted on I think in June of this year. Myers has too, as well as Mohican, jinjonator, a couple newbies and probably more.

You have to get access through Mohican if you want in. Maybe the front page just shows old stuff but new stuff is there.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:26 AM
Tally (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Have you gained access to members only? Because, there have been fairly regular posts of short stories there. I myself posted on I think in June of this year. Myers has too, as well as Mohican, jinjonator, a couple newbies and probably more.

You have to get access through Mohican if you want in. Maybe the front page just shows old stuff but new stuff is there.
Yes, thank you. I am grateful to have somewhere that we can post our writings away from the public eye. I haven't had much time to read the posts there yet, but it is on my to-do list. I shall be more involved!

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback