WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Dear Crowdgather,

Old 06-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 323

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
In their own cultural setting, women who are not covered are deemed to be available or of no virtue - which puts them in danger. The hijab signifies their purity or unavailablitiy - but regardless, keeps them safe.
Which is 100% percent bullshit -- based on what you and I know is true about what goes on in the real world.

Why does it keep them safe, other than branding them as unavailable according to a male dominated culture -- and avoiding any kind of retribution?

I would hope you can appreciate that your jaded views (which aren't founded in any experience or understanding) do nothing but perpetuate the current trend of Muslim hatred .
I would hope that you could appreciate that many women are forced to wear the hajib, regardless of what they want or where they live -- which absolutely signifies and embodies male domination.

Why are you making excuses for this?

I would hope you can appreciate that your jaded views (which aren't founded in any experience or understanding) do nothing but perpetuate the current trend of Muslim hatred .
OK -- so how exactly are my views not based on experience or understating as compared to yours? Pretty sure we're both outsiders looking in...

Old 06-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 323

Bottom line --

Some women choose to wear the hajib.

Other women have no choice.

Hard to believe you can't make this very simple distinction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Mohican (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

Is it really in the quoran, or is it an extrapolation or "extra teaching"?

not that it excuses any of it

And even though that was someones interpretation of Hijab barbie, is that really a hijab?

Prior to Mohamed channeling Allah, I do believe that Jewish and then Christian women wore a head covering very much like that "hijab Barbie". Yes, you could see their faces. A lot of men wore (and still wear) a similar head covering....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:38 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
That's perfect!

It's more what I imagine Myers looks like but you picked the colors I can see.

Honestly I was expecting Obama wearing Michelle's lingerie or worse.
I was thinking about your pic from your face book profile, but Man Bun Ken was a bit more, uhm, ironic?

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:40 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 323

And we're supposed to think -- well it's OK because it's accepted in their culture...

Barf.

And don't thing for a minute I'm pinning anything on all Muslims or fostering hate.

This is about primitive attitudes and the subjugation of women.

I am an equal opportunity caller of bullshit.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:07 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

I don't know if this can shrink to avatar size but....

Old 06-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
And we're supposed to think -- well it's OK because it's accepted in their culture...

Barf.

And don't thing for a minute I'm pinning anything on all Muslims or fostering hate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZIqdrFeFBk

Old 06-30-2017, 07:22 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

So for a client I'm working with an illustrator to develop illustrations/icons to represent different people working in a healthcare environment for infographics etc. This is for one of the biggest medical supply and inventory management companies in the world.

We already had plenty of men and women in all shades -- but just yesterday, they came back to me and said they needed a man bun on one of the icons.

This was over the phone -- and I just went silent. She was like, I know, I know, but just do it...

I'm in Los Angeles with my daughters for the Anime Expo. Thinking about getting a man-bun clip on extension😀

Gotta keep up!
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (07-01-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 08:45 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,010

Bottom line --

Some women choose to wear the hajib.

Other women have no choice.

Hard to believe you can't make this very simple distinction.
I MADE that very simple distinction at the outset.

I countered CandraH's one-sided rant about female oppression with "you can't generalise because some women choose it."

Pay attention...

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 06-30-2017 at 10:27 PM..
Old 06-30-2017, 09:14 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I was thinking about your pic from your face book profile, but Man Bun Ken was a bit more, uhm, ironic?

You picked a good one. I'll stay with that. If I pick up a man-bun extension I'll post picks😆
Old 06-30-2017, 10:06 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,010

Barf.

Yes, you are "pinning something on all Muslims" because this is nothing to do with men subjugating women -it's purely about RELIGION.

For a Muslim, their faith is the motivation behind everything - and adhering to the tenets of that faith. Muslim women go to work, vote and have an equal religious status to men. That doesn't sound too primitive ....

Regardless of whether a woman is a multi-millionairess - a Muslim husband is obligated to entirely fund her and her children - he has no claim to a penny of her money, it's for her own pleasure. She has the right to choose her own husband...unlike Hinduism. The husband pays HER a dowry. She can't be set up in an arranged marriage without her consent - who she marries is her choice.

The religious demand for dressing and behaving modestly doesn't apply to ONLY Muslim women - the Muslim men have restrictions imposed demanding coverage below the knee, not wearing gold, silver or lavish material such as silk or cashmere... all for the same RELIGIOUS reasons of being humble and chaste and in obeyance with Muslim teaching.

Muslims have to honour family and are not permitted to disrespect their parents . Muslim religion dictates that you can only choose to ignore a parental instruction if it is against the law. THAT is why some women feel obligated to wear hijab - it's the wish of the family. They COULD choose not to - but they break with their faith and disrespect their god if they do.

A Quaker family might have something to say about their daughter in a mini skirt and fishnets...RELIGION, not male oppression.

Interesting that you view these women as being subjugated by men - when the Muslim women I know feel sorry for Western women who are flaunted as sex objects in magazines, pop videos and drama. They are not under pressure to wear revealing or tight clothes. Western women don't dress the way they want to - they dress the way they think makes them attractive and socially acceptable.

"I'm an equal opportunity caller of bullshit" ...:rofl :

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 06-30-2017 at 10:37 PM..
Old 06-30-2017, 10:51 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

Yes, you are "pinning something on all Muslims" because this is nothing to do with men subjugating women -it's purely about RELIGION.

For a Muslim, their faith is the motivation behind everything - and adhering to the tenets of that faith. Muslim women go to work, vote and have an equal religious status to men. That doesn't sound too primitive ....

Regardless of whether a woman is a multi-millionairess - a Muslim husband is obligated to entirely fund her and her children - he has no claim to a penny of her money, it's for her own pleasure. She has the right to choose her own husband...unlike Hinduism. The husband pays HER a dowry. She can't be set up in an arranged marriage without her consent - who she marries is her choice.

The religious demand for dressing and behaving modestly doesn't apply to ONLY Muslim women - the Muslim men have restrictions imposed demanding coverage below the knee, not wearing gold, silver or lavish material such as silk or cashmere... all for the same RELIGIOUS reasons of being humble and chaste and in obeyance with Muslim teaching.

Muslims have to honour family and are not permitted to disrespect their parents . Muslim religion dictates that you can only choose to ignore a parental instruction if it is against the law. THAT is why some women feel obligated to wear hijab - it's the wish of the family. They COULD choose not to - but they break with their faith and disrespect their god if they do.

A Quaker family might have something to say about their daughter in a mini skirt and fishnets...RELIGION, not male oppression.

Interesting that you view these women as being subjugated by men - when the Muslim women I know feel sorry for Western women who are flaunted as sex objects in magazines, pop videos and drama. They are not under pressure to wear revealing or tight clothes. Western women don't dress the way they want to - they dress the way they think makes them attractive and socially acceptable.

"I'm an equal opportunity caller of bullshit" ...:rofl :

Decent spanking here.

But I would argue that adherence to any religious law is asinine and in the realm of childish behavior. 'Religious laws' were laid down by men who's 'God' told them the way it was supposed to be. Fuck that.

Religious laws are nothing more than societal controls once necessary but in this day and age, not. The priests needed a simple 'law' to keep society rolling smoothly. I get it. It's a system for societal control.

There were some geniuses who came along from time to time to spread the word of God, but these guys messages were distorted and manipulated to feed the control narrative.

It doesn't matter if it's hijab and Muslim, anti-abortion and Christian, or any other fucking thing. It's all stoopid. Yes, I said stoopid. All of it.

The sooner we grow up and face life as it is the better. I give religion another 100 years. Yeah, people are that stupid.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:52 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 323

Good job, Grace. You've made many good points and I think I've learned something here.

Basically, I think ALL religion is primitive, and Islam in particular because of the the more oppressive dogma and the way it's practiced in the more primitive countries and cultures.

Of course, Muslim women have all those choices and freedoms -- when they're living in a country where it's allowed -- like where you and I live.

In a country like Saudi Arabia -- not so much, where it goes beyond religion and is actually law with all kinds of draconian penalties. And I don't have to tell you about how women are oppressed...

It's wonderful that some women have the choice -- or at least what appears to be a choice.

So yeah -- sorry for generalizing.
Grace Gabriel (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 10:55 PM
CandraH

Lovely to see you stood behind JoeMatt again CandraH - ever convinced whatever comes out of his mouth is pure gold.
I MADE that very simple distinction at the outset.

I countered CandraH's one-sided rant about female oppression with "you can't generalise because some women choose it."

Pay attention...
You fucking blind egotistical motherfucker. YOU pay attention. You have such a high opinion of yourself, you're so desperate to show your knowledge of muslim culture you just see what the fuck you want dont you? I just made a one sided rant perpetuating hatred of islam and sidled up to someone because I've known them for a while. Nothing at all to do with the fact Myers talked sense and my post was about one thing and one thing only.

Fucking wake up Grace Gabriel and get your head out of your arse. You want to argue about nothing and everything, find someone else to be the catalyst. I dont have the time or the energy.

I'm done.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 323

Decent spanking here.

But I would argue that adherence to any religious law is asinine and in the realm of childish behavior. 'Religious laws' were laid down by men who's 'God' told them the way it was supposed to be. Fuck that.

Religious laws are nothing more than societal controls once necessary but in this day and age, not. The priests needed a simple 'law' to keep society rolling smoothly. I get it. It's a system for societal control.

There were some geniuses who came along from time to time to spread the word of God, but these guys messages were distorted and manipulated to feed the control narrative.

It doesn't matter if it's hijab and Muslim, anti-abortion and Christian, or any other fucking thing. It's all stoopid. Yes, I said stoopid. All of it.

The sooner we grow up and face life as it is the better. I give religion another 100 years. Yeah, people are that stupid.
Yep. It's ALL bullshit.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:15 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 323

Now this is something I don't see very often -- I was coming out of the grocery story the other day and I see a woman with a man -- he's got on some kind of costume with a little hat -- pretty modest, I suppose -- but the woman is completely covered, all in black in this boxy looking thing and she's wearing a hood with a screen over her eyes. She might as well have been wearing chains or been on a leash. I kind of doubt she had much of a choice...

Last edited by Myers; 07-01-2017 at 12:59 AM..
Grace Gabriel (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,010
Icon12

Originally Posted by CandraH View Post
You fucking blind egotistical motherfucker. YOU pay attention. You have such a high opinion of yourself, you're so desperate to show your knowledge of muslim culture you just see what the fuck you want dont you? I just made a one sided rant perpetuating hatred of islam and sidled up to someone because I've known them for a while. Nothing at all to do with the fact Myers talked sense and my post was about one thing and one thing only.

Fucking wake up Grace Gabriel and get your head out of your arse. You want to argue about nothing and everything, find someone else to be the catalyst. I dont have the time or the energy.

I'm done.
Yep - my head is very often up my own arse...but never anybody else's .

Same time tomorrow then? x
Old 07-01-2017, 04:53 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

Edited to add: If Y'all are done virtue signalling to each other we can get back to the serious business of User Appropriate Avatars.

I could crop one of these images should someone want one for an avatar...

Last edited by Mohican; 07-01-2017 at 05:23 AM..
Old 07-01-2017, 05:37 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

Decent spanking here.

Religions, Faiths, believs will survive as long as mankind is on earth. Your prediction of the end of religion is worse than your Hillary victory prediction. China has a burgeoning underground Christian population. Christianity is once again encouraged in Russia.

As the west untethers itself from Christianity the fabric grows thin and shreds.

The Muslim religion is ascending, and once Christian Europe is doing nothing to check it. Based on the the comments and the negativity toward Orthodox Muslim Faith and how it's adherents mistreat women, then perhaps you would desire a strong Christian faith to hold it back. Gates of Vienna and all that.

You can't fight something with nothing. You can't counter a retrograde faith with a Laissez-faire, que sera faithless humanism.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:34 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,010

I don't know if this can shrink to avatar size but....
The old bag with the musket will do me nicely Mo.

If you can't size it, then, y'know...cute kitten in a teacup type thing.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:43 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

You can't fight something with nothing. You can't counter a retrograde faith with a Laissez-faire, que sera faithless humanism.

Interesting point. Much as I hate to admit it, you might be right.

So the atheists will prolly have to start exterminating the religious peoples to get 'er done.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:14 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 323

But who balks and whines when atheists actually take a stand.

Last edited by Myers; 07-02-2017 at 08:50 AM..
Old 07-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,010

Thanks Mo x
Old 07-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

Candra - would you like something "Royal"

Old 07-04-2017, 05:43 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

Thanks Mo x
You are welcome!!!

Old 07-05-2017, 02:21 PM
CandraH

Candra - would you like something "Royal"
I'd like admin to answer my question. The one I posted before it got lost in a lot of irrelevant bullshit.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 815

I'd like admin to answer my question. The one I posted before it got lost in a lot of irrelevant bullshit.

I think you should repeat the question. As a participant in all the irrelevant bullshit I find it hard to wade back through my own mental masturbation and find what the hell you're talking about.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637

This question?

Do I look like a muslim barbie doll to you?
Well, based on the one pic (which no longer shows up for me in "post your pic") I would say that you are fair like the image I posted. Of course, she'd need a chain saw......

Old 07-06-2017, 10:44 AM
CandraH

For fuck sake. No wonder this place is dead - the staff cant do their fucking jobs.

Though, one further niggle. I decided to check my profile, which is working btw, and tried changing my avatar. I know you guys have a 19.5 kb limit and a 75x75 pixel limit for avatar sizes. I used to get away with slightly bigger files if I kept the dimensions small, or vice versa if I kept the file small, but now, I cant do either. So, I cant update my avatar because if I make the picture dimensions 75 pixels square, the site wont let me use it because its a couple kbs over the limit. Kind of restrictive, and maybe why other people are also having problems? Might be worth raising one of those limits to allow a wider variety of file/image sizes.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

For fuck sake. No wonder this place is dead - the staff cant do their fucking jobs.
Yeah, what the hell!

What does it take to get people to do one's bidding sans compensation?

This is exactly why slavery was invented.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback