WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Summer Contest – Aquamarine comment thread.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

What do tickets for a motoring show have to do with a writing website? There would also be the problem of budgeting such a scheme, as I expect that they will cost money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Michael D (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 103

You don't really do humor, or at least my type of it, do you Tau?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:37 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

English isn't Tau's first language, so sometimes the line between someone making a joke and being serious can be difficult, I'm guassing that's what happened here, no worries on either end
Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Michael D (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 103

Funny that you bring that up, Ilseum.
On several ocassions, I have asked authors that very question (is English your first language?) -only to be questioned about why I asked. It is sometimes difficult to discern whether the writer is in that circumstance, or simply lacking basic skills. Then I sometimes end up looking like a bit of a jerk for bringing up the question.

M

Old 09-24-2014, 08:36 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

It all depends on the person. English is my second language as well, but I don't often run into misunderstandings because of it.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Oh I guessed you where having a go at humour, I just could not think of a witty reply so I replied in serious mode.
I did think about making a joke about the UK verses US Version of the show, but could not think of anything good there either.

As Ilseum said, I do struggle sometimes to read subtext/humour/other things probably and as such find it safer to respond seriously in such situations. Though I do not know how much that is English not being my mother tong, and how much it is my Dyslexia playing up with my ability to read the subtext/emotional conveniences of other people, as I do have the same problem in my mother tong at times, and it happens more often in text only communications as is cannot use other clues to help, such as facial expressions.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:37 AM
JMummey (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 22

Oh the stress. I never would have considered entering a contest. As soon as I see the word "contest" I immediately do not think I am good enough to participate. It is so silly to think this way and it is no way to live so I promise I will enter an upcoming contest! (please don't be a contest about writing on the topic of economics)
Old 09-25-2014, 08:00 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Little Fox

Thanks 633

Have no fear of entering contests at Writer's Beat! They're made for everyone, no matter how long they have been writing or what kind of a writer they are.

Generally, the topics are so broad that pretty much anything can be done with them. If you want to include economics, simply name a company Aquamarine, and there you go! There's always a way to find a link back to the topic
JMummey (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
FX Lord (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 42

LOL.

Is everybody voting for themselves? The voting seems unusually spread out.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:22 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I didn't
Old 09-25-2014, 04:13 PM
Michael D (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 103

I plan on voting for someone else. Shame that it turned out as it did; few entries, even fewer voters. Ah, well.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Give it time, I for one have not had time to reread the all so as to make up my mind as to where to vote.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:52 AM
FX Lord (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 42

You could also tag all your posts with a link to the contest so as to promote awareness.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:33 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Great enteries all around. Hard, hard choice...

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).
Old 10-15-2014, 06:27 PM
FX Lord (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 42

Michael D and Max Crash, as runners up would you mind suggesting a theme for the next contest - I don't want to do it as I feel it would put me at too much of an advantage.

Please send suggestions to Tau.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests