WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Jump to it

Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
bounceback (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Jump to it

It all started when I saw an announcement in the neighborhood newspaper requesting seniors to participate in the sport of Recreational badminton at the local Rec. Center. My interest was piqued even more when I found that all I needed to do was show up at the center. No fees, no forms to fill out. In addition, the center provided birdies and racquets. At that time, I thought to myself, “Seniors?” “They are not talking to me”…… “I just turned 57­ in the past month”…… “They must be referring to High School Seniors”. Although, I decided to make the trip to the Recreational Center at the suggested time, I had some trepidation, just thinking about participating in a sport with High School Seniors, whose bodies, I imagined would not quit while running rings around me. I dressed in my favorite tee, shorts and sneakers. When I arrived at the Center, I was amazed to see several apparently fit females in athletic gears. They also appeared somewhat more senior in years than High School Seniors. To say that I was relieved is an understatement. For a while I observed the ladies while they played, then I began to imagine holding the racquet and hitting a birdie. It seems that the ladies appeared to sense that I was hesitant to get close, and in between play, one of the ladies spoke to me. “What do you want?” she said. I explained about the newspaper article that invited Seniors to play badminton. I was then invited to join in the play. I explained that I had minimal experience playing badminton. That did not seem to deter the ladies or myself, as by now I was feeling more confident. It appeared that the group also wanted to get age questions out of the way. I was asked my age, and I found that at the age of “57” I was the “baby” of the group. At that time, the group’s average age was approximately 68. I expressed to the ladies how I previously feared that the program was intended for High School Seniors. The ladies assured me that there were no­­­ High School Seniors in their group and that they were all retired professionals. At that point I breathed a sigh of relief that I would not need to participate in the sport with hard bodied and fit High School students. Of course, there were some chuckles about my irrational fears.
It has been 7 years since I answered the invitation to play recreational badminton. I have gained several benefits from my decision to play recreational badminton. The benefits all have long term effects. I have made several friends with whom I have badminton and many other activities in common. Weight loss has also been a benefit, having lost over thirty-five pounds; I can still run around the badminton court and also chase my grandchildren. Participating in competitive events at the State level has been one of the biggest benefits. My children and grandchildren have bragging rights when their mom/grandmother participates and wins big at the State level badminton events. My husband, whom I have been married to for approximately 4 years, and I, met at a Recreational Center while we were playing badminton.
Some qualities that work for playing badminton are patience and getting along with your team members. Ironically, for several years I had been partners at the local and State games with the lady who asked me “What do you want” on that very first day. We have won medals for three years consecutively at the NC State Senior Games, until she had an injury that caused her to choose a less rigorous sport other than badminton. My husband and I have not won at the State level, but we have won in many local and private tournaments.
I now am the proud owner of several great quality racquets and birdies. Since that first day, I have not had any regrets about my decision to join the “Seniors” at the Center to play Recreational Badminton. I still love playing badminton and often play with my husband, purely for recreation and health. So, the next time I pick up the local newspaper inviting “Seniors” to play a sport, I will jump to it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bounceback For This Useful Post:
Brokenpen (08-09-2012), WilliamS. (07-23-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Gold Fury (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 11

Why have you done this?
bounceback (07-17-2012)
Old 07-17-2012, 06:43 PM
bounceback (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 4

Hi Gold Fury:

Thanks for the post. I am taking your question literally. I did this thread as a means of actually completing a thread. Also, it made me feel good about a pleasant experience. I would appreciate your critique. That would be very helpful to me. If I did not answer your question appropriately, please let me know.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 235

This is the best thing I've ever read on here hands down. It's fun, lighthearted, moves along at a brisk pace, and there is no flash or special effects or heavy preaching or pandering. The point is that a normal person likes a normal activity, and that's real and profound, especially compared to some of the sensationalism I've read on this website. I honestly love this, and can't wait to read more! Thanks for the breath of fresh air!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to WilliamS. For This Useful Post:
bounceback (07-27-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 06:38 PM
goldieloo (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 5

I like it too. Upbeat and matter of fact.

There's one place where you put something like 'It seems that the ladies appeared..' and that's a little redundant. There are several places where you use similar language, as if you're qualifying your observations. 'It seems' 'they appeared' etc. It makes sense and conveys that you were feeling the trepidation, but you could probably drop it in some places for variety's sake. You might not have known your badminton yet, but you can be trusted to report that they wanted to know how old you were.

'Weight loss has also been a benefit, having lost over thirty-five pounds; I can still run around the badminton court and also chase my grandchildren.'

The first bit probably counts as a run-on or something, but I know better than to try and say how to rearrange it. I am a run-on fool and spot them in my scribbles all the time. Periods are for wimps.
The Following User Says Thank You to goldieloo For This Useful Post:
bounceback (07-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 04:53 PM
bounceback (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 4

William S:

Thanks so much for your critique of my post. I agree with you that it is a different kind of post. I really enjoyed writing this piece because it was about a time when I was still employed. I took far more time from work than I should have, so that I could play badminton. Thanks again. Your thoughtful words were meaningful to me.

Last edited by bounceback; 07-27-2012 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Adding a smile
The Following User Says Thank You to bounceback For This Useful Post:
WilliamS. (07-28-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 05:05 PM
bounceback (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Jump to it

Goldieloo:

Thanks for your input. You are correct. I need to pay attention to "it appears" and "it seems". I will make corrections to reflect those changes. Also, improvements can be made with regards to run on statements. I am glad that you like the post. Thanks so much for your critique of my post.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Brokenpen (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Real people doing real things. I like it! I write a lot of things from the first person perspective so I know, there are lot's of pitfalls there. Keep it up though, you have a knack for taking the reader there. The more you practice the more you will find ways to avoid run ons and all that. Real is good I think it gives a window into the lives of others and when done well it can make seemingly mundane events interesting. Good job Bounce back and thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Releases:
The Puzzle:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hopeless:

Last edited by Brokenpen; 08-09-2012 at 09:11 AM..
Old 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM
maidahl

I'm so bored. I read it. Critted something else. Came back and finished it. Apparently I'm the only one? To dislike it, I mean
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 235

"Bored"??? You're bored by this of all things, with all the snobbery and elitism on this website? This is one of a kind, real, documentary writing. Brilliant.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM
maidahl

I don't know how to spell the snoring sound

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction