WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Issues

Issues Current and past issues of the publication

IN PENCIL l Issue 19 - July 2008

Old 07-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452
Default IN PENCIL l Issue 19 - July 2008

July 2008 - Issue 19

IN PENCIL

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions please post in this thread, send a private message to Q Wands or Devon, or send an e-mail to staff@writersbeat.com.

Thank you, and enjoy reading!

The IN PENCIL Editorial Team

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Devon; 01-05-2009 at 01:23 AM..
Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 AM
kathrynb (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Send a message via Skype™ to kathrynb
Default comments and a suggestion

Lovely issue. I'm new around here so I was excited to receive it! I read it through quickly, I'll go back and reread more thoroughly of course.

I was particularly interested in the 'group blog' article and concept, as I am engaged in a similar project. Also, as a writer, I'm always on the lookout for new ideas for...coming up with new ideas.

This is brilliant. It takes the idea of blogging and comments one step further, to extending the feeling of inclusion to readers.

With my project, I use a webhost/publication system called Publisher-For-You. You can construct a website as either a blog or a regular website. In website mode, once you've found a group of trusted contributors, you can offer each of them a guest editorship based on their very own category. They now control the writing in their own category. You've effectively moved on to become "managing editor".

[Now that I've read this excellent article on group blogging, I've got so many new ideas...like, starting with a blog, to generate ideas and interest, then starting a collaborative website on each theme that takes off in the blog...]

Just thought this might be something of interest to anyone as "sold" on collaborations as I am! (I get sooo tired of listening to my own 'voice' echoing off the walls sometimes...!)

I'll put the url of the site I'm managing in my sig so you can see what I'm talking about. In this case, the owner of the site knew all these folks already so the collaboration part was easy, them finding the time to contribute is the hard part!

The webhost provides a complete website package that includes software that does all the tech stuff for you. So for us writers, its a dream come true, we can (mostly) just write. For all the non-tech contributors, they can easily do it themselves or I can do it for them.

Thank you again for getting me so excited about the new ideas and projects running around in my head. Whoa, Nellie, til I lasso those thoughts!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kathrynb; 07-30-2008 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: where's my sig file?
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
josiehenley (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 3

Another great issue from the team! Thanks to all that worked on this, the hard work is certainly appreciated. Sorry to see in the editorial that some of you are leaving, but hopefully it is for pastures new and you’ll have more time to devote to your writing.

Hi Kathryn, glad you liked my article. It is indeed an exciting concept to get a group of people blogging together on the same site. I like your site as well, I’m interested in the content and the layout is good. It looks like your contributors are experts. You’re right, finding the time to blog is the difficulty, and the commitment.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 323

Great article on self-editing! I'm always looking for advice on how to clean up my stories, and this is a terrific aid.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Thanks, Winterbite. Glad you found it useful.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 07-31-2008, 01:19 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I would just like to publicly thank Josie and Devon for their excellent contributions. Without such quality articles, WB would be just another website ezine. So thank you both very, very much.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Jarin

And you're open to constructive criticism on the magazine...?
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Hmm.

I didn't read it all - 'flicked' through... Perhaps it would be good to state what the person's online name is, so it is not so confusing?

But indeed, Devon, a good article.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Jarin, if you have any comments or suggestions, please feel free to make them. You can either post them on the forum or send us a PM. We do have plans to make changes, beginnning with the next issue, but member input and comment is always appreciated.

SW, We don't use forum names in the ezine because it is unprofessional looking to do so. For that reason, we request a proper name when we seek permission to publish. On the other hand, not all members want their real names to appear in the ezine (and certainly not on the forum) so sometimes work appears under a pseudonym. Since I can't think of any obvious reason why anyone would need to relate a forum name to a byline, I can't see why there should be any confusion.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Thank you, all.

And yes, any comments/suggestions from members are most welcome.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 08-01-2008, 04:32 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

SW, We don't use forum names in the ezine because it is unprofessional looking to do so. For that reason, we request a proper name when we seek permission to publish. On the other hand, not all members want their real names to appear in the ezine (and certainly not on the forum) so sometimes work appears under a pseudonym. Since I can't think of any obvious reason why anyone would need to relate a forum name to a byline, I can't see why there should be any confusion.
Gah! I completely forgot about that, indeed. I was thinking along the lines of something else... my bad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

No probs.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 AM
Jarin

Other than a few minor (really minor) points, you've got a really good magazine going on there. I could highlight the minors if you want, but they're few and far between and it could just seem like nit-picking (ooh, and nits - horrible little crawly hair things, they are - I hate 'em, ergo I mainly avoid talking about 'em). Just give us a prod with a stick if you want them. (the comments, not nits, that is)
J
Old 08-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I am interested, but I will also say up front that a different package was used for layout, out of necessity, but it did effect the result. If you want, you can always pM me.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,693

Just give us a prod with a stick if you want them. (the comments, not nits, that is)
Hahaha!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Ennui (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 6

Wow,the magazine's organization is feasible and laudable.Indeed superlative to read through it and also easy to comprehend.Some characters are allegorical,not bad.

I am gratified to see that the magazine is in PDF which is easy to read,what a great technology.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:56 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Ennui - just a comment... I think you've got the wrong idea of superlative.

It defines as:
a) an exaggeration of praise
b) greatest in quality; the best
c) a form of adverb; fast, faster and fastest, or good, better and best
d) the peak of something

It doesn't actually mean "good", so can't apply to a verb. Your statement just then was incorrect, I'm sorry to say.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-16-2008, 01:00 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

When most people hear superlative, they think of grammar. When you add -est to something to make it the most, that's a superlative.

If you cut it to "super", it should be good!
For example: "The magazine was super," or "It was super easy to read".
Old 10-16-2008, 01:05 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Well, on behalf of the WB staff, I thank you for the compliment, however you care to phrase it. You might also be interested to know that Issue 20 will be out shortly, on 1 November, so watch this space!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:52 AM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Oh, goody!

Can't wait...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Ennui (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 6

Originally Posted by SynonymousWords View Post
Ennui - just a comment... I think you've got the wrong idea of superlative.

It defines as:
a) an exaggeration of praise
b) greatest in quality; the best
c) a form of adverb; fast, faster and fastest, or good, better and best
d) the peak of something

It doesn't actually mean "good", so can't apply to a verb. Your statement just then was incorrect, I'm sorry to say.
Thanks for pointing out my sickening mistakes,SynonymousWords.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

I think your English is quite good, Ennui, especially considering it is a second language.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:03 PM
SW (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 160

Awww... not sickening, just a common mistake. Second language, all the better. I can't speak French or Latin fluently, so...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Issues