WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Monroe Bergdorf

Old 09-13-2017, 04:08 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 818

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
It took you 30 minutes to read this???

Well, I can see why you might think we spent a lot of time here...

I read slow. Skimming is not an option for me. Plus I had to go back and read the whole thread because I wasn't sure how we got where we got.

Old 09-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 330

I'm a slow reader too. But maybe I had an advantage because I read it as it evolved.

It doesn't take any more than a few minutes to knock out one of these posts. I supposed if I added it up it might be 30 mins total.

If it's more, so what?

As long as I meet my deadlines, I can fuck around as much as I want -- which is one of the reason I work for myself.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:16 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 818

I'm a slow reader too. But maybe I had an advantage because I read it as it evolved.

It doesn't take any more than a few minutes to knock out one of these posts. I supposed if I added it up it might be 30 mins total.

If it's more, so what?

As long as I meet my deadlines, I can fuck around as much as I want -- which is one of the reason I work for myself.

Heh. Yeah. I should have went to college and got a job that doesn't require me to drive 100 miles a day to multiple locations all over the Phoenix metro area.😀
Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 330

Yeah, maybe you should have.

Naw -- I'm in a pretty unique position to have this kind of flexibility. Even when I've worked for agencies, I've had a lot of autonomy -- bosses who were mostly laissez faire.

There was a guy on this forum who questioned the time I spent here. I could tell from his level of intelligence and what he said about his job that I could have bought and sold the fucker ten times over.

And he was like -- oh, I bet you work at Trader Joe's...
Old 09-13-2017, 04:32 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 818

Ha ha!

I work at Trader Joe's all the time. And Sprouts and Whole Foods too😀

I think I'd go insane if I had a lot of free time. I'm not built for that. I complain about my job in passing, as a joke, but it is what I was made for. I get bored easily, and it's not good when I do.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 330

Heh.

Well -- there is nothing wrong with working at Trader Joe's.

This guy was an idiot and a hypocrite -- championing the working man, but when he had to criticize me, that was the biggest insult he could come up with.

But I'm talking about someone who believed in poison contrails and that long red lights were a conspiracy of the oil companies.

When I was first married with a kid on the way and trying to get established, I delivered sandwiches for Jimmy Johns. People were like, oh, what if you knock on a door and it's someone you know? I was like, who gives a shit -- that's their hang up not mine.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:06 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 330

BTW -- I don't have any "free time."

I'm betting as a business owner, you don't either. Not really.

It's just a matter of deciding how much time you can afford to not spend on your business -- servicing clients or going after new ones.

Striking the balance is a very hard thing to learn...

Last edited by Myers; 09-13-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 05:41 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 818

BTW -- I don't have any "free time."

I'm betting as a business owner, you don't either. Not really.

It's just a matter of deciding how much time you can afford to not spend on your business -- servicing clients or going after new ones.

Striking the balance is a very hard thing to learn...

When I had six trucks running in the early 2000's I had what people would call 'free time', but yeah, it wasn't really free time. I was always working. I didn't do much actual plumbing but bouncing from job to job, running parts to guys, meeting contractors and homeowners for bids, collecting money from 'late-payers', and all the rest.

It's easier now, because a lot of work can be done from an iPhone.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 330

There was a time when on some level, I measured success by how many people had working for me. What nonsense!

I spent more time managing people than doing what I do best -- and what I really enjoy.

But the key to my business success?

I don't hire coloreds or Mexicans. I might hire an Asian or a Jew because they work hard and they're good with money, respectively.

I've hired young women if they are very talented, but I know it's a matter of time before they'll want to start squeezing out babies and I'm going to have to give them a bunch of time off.

Old people? Forget about it. They ran out of fresh ideas a long time ago.

Luckily, I hire contract and freelance people. I can selectively bring on clever, young white men -- people just like me -- and I can totally get away with it.

Last edited by Myers; 09-13-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 818

There was a time when on some level, I measured success by how many people had working for me. What nonsense!

I spent more time managing people than doing what I do best -- and what I really enjoy.

But the key to my business success?

I don't hire coloreds or Mexicans. I might hire an Asian or a Jew because they work hard and they're good with money, respectively.

I've hired young women if they are very talented, but I know it's a matter of time before they'll want to start squeezing out babies and I'm going to have to give them a bunch of time off.

Old people? Forget about it. They ran out of fresh ideas a long time ago.

Luckily, I hire contract and freelance people. I can selectively bring on clever, young white men -- people just like me -- and I can totally get away with it.

When in Rome...
Old 09-13-2017, 11:34 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 375

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
Indeed.

There are a couple problems with Munroe's kind of thinking. And it mainly comes down to what I was taught as a kid ó my mum gave me a little mini bio of Martin Luther King when I was 10. The message is simple, we donít want special treatment or consideration, we only wish that judgment is based only on oneís actions and the content of oneís character.

Once we start from this principle we cannot find someone guilty by association because of their skin colour, which is exactly what this thinking does. I think the test for whether someone is actually principled or not is whether they can be objective in its application even when it is inconvenient.

So I canít be judged based on the actions of others, historical or otherwise.

Second problem, judging people by the actions of their state, empire, and suggesting that one cannot have admiration for the good, because it is somehow inextricable from the bad. Think of ANY internationally successful culture/nation. There is none in history which isnít steeped in racism, violence, atrocity and oppression. Ottoman empire, Imperial China, Islamic conquests, Japanese expansion, Soviet Russia etc etc. By this standard, no one can have pride in Ďtheir peopleí, and must only feel shame, should they wish not to contribute towards racism.

Third problem, the standard for racism. You cannot have a standard which says 'racism is not doing anything about racism' unless it's specifically within your job description. I'm not guilty of theft, or supportive of theft if I don't chase down the thief... I'm guilty of theft if I steal shit, and I won't be called a thief otherwise.
You make some very good points, but if a political party and /or the people in power base their platform on hatred towards a group of people, this paradigm becomes a reality for the people who make up the minority group. This can be observed across the whole world against various minority groups, regardless of the specific characteristics of the people in charge. Unfortunately any wishful thinking by the minority group will not lead towards less discrimination, and tragically these "problems" are trivial to solve.

But to look at the issue in a positive light, there will always be the consequences of these actions, they don't ever seem to go away - which is a good thing, as much more reflection and meditation should be required before the people in power declare hatred towards another group of people.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 AM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 330

That is a good point -- and we are definitely seeing that now here in the U.S.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (09-14-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table