WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Western Culture, and specifically "American" Culture

Old 09-09-2017, 10:31 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
My expectation for people in this forum to agree with me is pretty low.

You continue to have this expectation to change me? Why do you continue?

I'm trying to get you to see what it takes to be a reasonable human. When you start an argument by subverting your own seriousness (the funny spelling of the names) you become a clown. Why not just say what you really think? Like erip said: bring your own thoughts to the game. Sourcing from Wikipedia and any other web page is just intellectual masturbation. I've been to sites where they demand sourcing of opinions. To me, this is a diversionary tactic. People who can't think for themselves, and need some 'expert' to tell them what is true. Total fucktards. Incapable of free thought.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:38 AM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 353

Anyone raised in the south knows that "bless your heart" is how bitchy old ladies say, "you idiot." It's the epitome of "snark."

Which means all posts containing "bless your heart" should be summarily deleted.

Last edited by Myers; 09-10-2017 at 04:07 AM..
Old 09-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 17

How the game of tag changes as you age. It is impossible to change people's minds on a good day so why are you people even bothering with Mohican? Can't you tell by his posts that his mind is made up? Why reason with someone who bathes in a tub of bias and reads history books while wishing upon a star?
Old 09-10-2017, 11:49 AM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 17

The world thrives because it is filled with variety, that includes variety of opinion.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

Originally Posted by Loser&Loner View Post
How the game of tag changes as you age. It is impossible to change people's minds on a good day so why are you people even bothering with Mohican?
Seriously?

It's for amusement purposes only...
Old 09-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 17
Icon6

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Seriously?

My bad, I am new here.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

No problem.

Mohican's threads are like McDonald's when you're on the road.

Not very good -- but at least you know what you're going to get.

Last edited by Myers; 09-10-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Seriously?

Yeah, strictly sport.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

Hey -- I think it's Snark Week on the Discovery Channel!
Old 09-10-2017, 06:41 PM
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 17

If it's strictly for sport did I commit a foul? I'm always doing that.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

Well, unlike any real sport -- Mo's a player AND a referee.

And it's in his court -- so to speak.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:18 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

If it's strictly for sport did I commit a foul? I'm always doing that.

You'll only know you've committed a foul when you get that service message upon logging in. It's been a while for me, but I think it said: after careful consideration you've been banned for a period of three months. 😀

For all my jokes Mo is a pretty tolerant guy (these days). I think he's feeling like: what's the point of enforcing strict rules when we can't even get ten people to log in at the same time, and the administration is MIA.

I can understand a need for rules when there are a couple hundred people floating around, but this... well, this is not even enough to feed the chickens.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I'm trying to get you to see what it takes to be a reasonable human. When you start an argument by subverting your own seriousness (the funny spelling of the names) you become a clown. Why not just say what you really think? Like erip said: bring your own thoughts to the game. Sourcing from Wikipedia and any other web page is just intellectual masturbation. I've been to sites where they demand sourcing of opinions. To me, this is a diversionary tactic. People who can't think for themselves, and need some 'expert' to tell them what is true. Total fucktards. Incapable of free thought.
Erip might have had a bit of a point - you dont. You call out unnamed Experts to back up your arguments that you can never prove - because they most likely are expert opinions you gleaned from Marvel or Mad Magazine....

Judging from your reaction to this thread - and your childish reactions to lead me to the point that your a hypocrite - if you can hold the multiple notions in your head that hypocrisy would require.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

How the game of tag changes as you age. It is impossible to change people's minds on a good day so why are you people even bothering with Mohican? Can't you tell by his posts that his mind is made up? Why reason with someone who bathes in a tub of bias and reads history books while wishing upon a star?
Who says that my mind is made up? I have certainly changed lines of thinking. to change my mind, you would have to have a worthy argument- other than accusations of bathing in a tub of bias etc-- although that is a turn of phrase I haven't heard before and applaud you on that.....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Well, unlike any real sport -- Mo's a player AND a referee.

And it's in his court -- so to speak.
I'd hold a quorum of other admins and moderators but they have all been chased away, or disappeared into the internet ether.

So I hold a fairly loose line now. I've been thinking that since I'm allowing a person or two to have multiple usernames slash sock puppet accounts I might myself bend the rules and create a sock puppet account, except that's extra time.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:09 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

I'd hold a quorum of other admins and moderators but they have all been chased away, or disappeared into the internet ether.

So I hold a fairly loose line now. I've been thinking that since I'm allowing a person or two to have multiple usernames slash sock puppet accounts I might myself bend the rules and create a sock puppet account, except that's extra time.
Oh no....

They're not ALL Myers are they?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
Oh no....

They're not ALL Myers are they?
No. And they're easy to spot.

They're all pretty snarky. And they're all married and have two have girls of the same ages. They all play guitar, work in advertising and corporate communications related industries, live in the same region, have the exact same writing styles and taste in music...
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

My own sock puppet is turning out to be high maintenance - serious issues with hemmorhoids. My bad - should really lube the operating hand.

That's why I call him Picklebottom.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Erip might have had a bit of a point - you dont. You call out unnamed Experts to back up your arguments that you can never prove - because they most likely are expert opinions you gleaned from Marvel or Mad Magazine....

Judging from your reaction to this thread - and your childish reactions to lead me to the point that your a hypocrite - if you can hold the multiple notions in your head that hypocrisy would require.

He he.

I don't quote unnamed experts at all. We are just having a conversation here, and I usually just say what I think. Often I'm just goofing. But when a topic is serious enough to me, I do respond accordingly.

I've never read Mad Magazine or Marvel comics.

And what 'reactions' to this thread are you even talking about? Maybe you should do that multi-quote thing😀
Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

I worked in a very rough neighborhood for about seven years. Imagine a place, if you will, where in about a 1.5 square mile area you had 80 homicides...

My portrayal of Mavis is very light handed. I was probably offered a burner "Obamaphone" at least once a month.

What you are doing here is inferring that a fictional character is someone I claim to be a friend. And implying in a passive aggressive way that I probably don't know any black people, that I hate Jews, blah blah blah.

I'd be worried about except I know the truth of my life, and that you and your fellow traveler have no clue, despite the constant drum beat. Which is kinda cute.

Let's call somebody a racist is that latest lol-worthy way of calling someone Hitler as a means of shaming or shutting down discussion.

Well, first off, I'm not Myers' fellow traveler. He's actually MY fellow traveler.

Secondly, I know you're not a racist in the overt sense. I said as much in one of the early posts you censored. I'm pretty sure you aren't out in your truck full of drunk clansmen looking for some blacks or Jews or Mexicans to beat or kill. But desiring or glorifying a monoculture Is always going to be viewed, as at least subtly racist or xenophobic.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

"Monoculturalism is a political policy whereby a single social or ethnic group attempts to dominate and suppress the culture of other ethnic groups in a given country or society."

Now, maybe you're a history professor who just has a love for early American and rural history. I know these people. My father-in-law was a professor of urban southwest history. I know more facts about the founding of most major southwestern cities than I ever wanted to learn. He just always talked about it. I guess it soaks in.

It was actually enjoyable when you posted about your new work pants and the beer you found. Humanizing, I guess.

Otherwise, when you go on and on about a handful of related topics like monoculturalism, the civil rights of Nazi's and white supremacists, and the values of the Scots-Irish in the good old days, you set yourself up as a target. Especially in a fairly liberal environment like a writers site.

At least you have a decent sense of humor and a thick skull.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Myers (09-22-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

My own sock puppet is turning out to be high maintenance - serious issues with hemmorhoids. My bad - should really lube the operating hand.

That's why I call him Picklebottom.

'ave you been at the gin again?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

"Monoculturalism, mulitculture -- whatever. Where we are now is the natural outcome when diverse groups of people live, work and do business together on a mass scale. It's not always pretty -- but what are going to do?

I suppose you could always go Amish...
Old 09-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

There are things that you can't PROVE -- where there isn't anything specific you can cut and paste to back things up -- but regardless, expressing that opinion requires some amount of brain power.

An example could be how someone might post a moronic meme that stereotypes Somalis as warlords and pirates and then someone comes along and calls it out for what it is.

Would you like a link to an expert's opinion that tells you Somalis in the U.S. aren't warlords and pirates -- and that it isn't funny or the least bit clever?

And if someone suggests that it doesn't make sense to constantly harp on how we became a "monoculture" or whatever (beyond a reasonable interest in history) and that we need to figure out a way to peacefully coexist (you can skip the bumper sticker reference) -- what would you like in the way of proof?

Sorry -- but you are not "advancing ideas" as you claim. In this thread, you asked a bunch of questions -- but you have so far failed utterly to provide your own meaningful answers -- answers that might tell us why we should care anything about your opinions.

And then you get all officious and self-righteous when we don't follow your specific rules for this thread.

Sorry, but you invite snark. You practially demand it.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,045

'ave you been at the gin again?
Worse than that...

I was sober.
brianpatrick (09-22-2017), Myers (09-22-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 04:50 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Worse than that...

I was sober.

May I suggest a shot or two?

What is it there, 1:00am?

A good time.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 22

May I be slightly controversial (yet honest?) and a little too serious?

Currently US power relies upon the dollar standard, and that has been undercut by several countries in which the US has fostered rebellion (Egypt and Libya being the most recent). It has also been undermined by (less strong, yet strong) economies; Russia and China now trade directly in oil, avoiding the dollar standard, as does Iran.

Sir John Grubb wrote an essay entitled The Fate of Empires. He identified the life cycle of all empires, and there were certain criteria that indicated their fall; "massive disparities between rich and poor, an undisciplined and over-extended military, and a severe financial and economic crisis linked to a debasement of the currency. Great empire wealth dazzles, but beneath the surface the unbridled desire for money, power and material possessions means that principles of duty and public service are corrupted by leaders and citizens who scramble for the meagre spoils of an economic system which prioritizes the wrong things."

The biggest problem the US has currently is a fiat currency: All fiat currencies eventually revert to their intrinsic value, which is zero. This nearly happened in 2008 but it was staved off by printing more money, or "quantitative easing".

The inflation that should result from this was exported abroad by buying products no one needs.

The reality is that when you only have a 10% reserve, 90% of your currency is monopoly money. That is a difficult hole to dig yourself out of.

But, you do have Vegas.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:26 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 22

But on a more fun note, we got Ronald McDonald.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:37 PM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
But on a more fun note, we got Ronald McDonald.

This will be a moderated thread. Discussion will be kept on topic, snark and sarcasm will be verboten. Staff gets to decide what is snark, sarcasm, etc. and reserves the right to cleanse threads of any such pollutants. Name calling will be discouraged.😀😀😀
Old 09-22-2017, 10:44 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 22

This will be a moderated thread. Discussion will be kept on topic, snark and sarcasm will be verboten. Staff gets to decide what is snark, sarcasm, etc. and reserves the right to cleanse threads of any such pollutants. Name calling will be discouraged.😀😀😀
Is Ronald a member?
Old 09-23-2017, 12:04 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
Is Ronald a member?

He's part of a monoculture with Bozo and J. W. Gacy.

Now quit baiting me! You're going to get me censored. Or worse... censured.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (09-23-2017)

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table