WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Are 'Murrican leaders senile, or just deranged

Old 08-08-2017, 01:09 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651
Default Are 'Murrican leaders senile, or just deranged

This is not a knock soley on the Democrat wing of the American Progressive Party, the Republican wing has plenty of fuddled old farts, too. Initial posts will be weighted toward the Dems.

It's funny that the Democrats always project themselves as "young and hip".

Nancy Pelosi - Age 77 - has had all kinds of slurred words and misstatements lately. She is sometimes confused and doesn't seem to know if Bush II is the president or tRUMP....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95OZvCCA3FE

Nancy "Nazi" Pelosi

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

Last edited by Mohican; 08-08-2017 at 01:34 PM..
Old 08-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Maxine Waters - Age 78 - wants to "Peach tRUMP" (peach Trump, I say, peach em)

And after tRUMP is "peached" she recently said she wanted to peach Vice President.....Putin.

When asked if Putin was really VP, she gathered her thoughts for a bit and came up with Pence.

Maxine

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:17 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Ok, Mohican - where are the Republicans?
Ok,so Paul Ryan is an exception at 47. But he's practically been in DC his whole adult life.
Sharia Compliant Paul Ryan below

Paul Ryan's predecessor as Speaker of the House, John Boner
wait, he's just an aging boomer at 67

No discussion about senile leaders and about allowing someone to be there too long is complete without John "Insane" McCain

Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnel Age 75

Old 08-08-2017, 01:20 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Hank Johnson - age 62. Hank is the Representative that asked military personnel in a House hearing if the Island of Guam could capsize

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cesSRfXqS1Q

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Wait - Guam won't capsize? I can take off my life jacket next time I'm on that island?

Last edited by Mohican; 08-08-2017 at 01:23 PM..
Old 08-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Sherrod Brown - Senator - age 64
(seen measuring his dick in this photo)

How could I leave Harry Reid, age 77 off? Omission corrected here:

Last edited by Mohican; 08-08-2017 at 01:28 PM..
Old 08-08-2017, 01:31 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Senator Diane FineSwine - D- Kowlifornia - 84

Some of these people work hard to preserve their looks. I wonder how much of their discretionary budget is spent on botox, plastic surgery, sacrifices to Moloch, etc?

Barbara Boxer - Age 76

Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 109

Mo, you seem passionate about your politics, which means you're an idealist at heart and that's a good thing, but you concentrate too much on what is going on in the periphery of politics. To really change the political atmosphere you have to think about not the daily happenstance, but about the ideals upon which a politic is based.

Capitalist democracy (though it's akin to blasphemy to call what we have either capitalist or democratic) just isn't working. Very clever people have been working since the inception of these to make them morally acceptable, and they're failing spectacularly regardless. No amount of minute dissection of the daily affairs of this failing system is going to have as great and beneficial an impact as revolutionising the system itself.

We're living in an age where the technology exists to mechanise the vast majority of labour and yet some work seven day, twelve hour a day, shifts in return for barely enough to subsist, while others born into wealth have done nothing but enjoy fruits they never earned. That's a failed system in my opinion. Who can positively say an hour of a lawyer's life is worth twelve times an hour of a labourer's? We've got a system that devalues the majority of life so that a minority can have an unfair and disproportionate share - failed system.

You can rail against the Democrats all you like, but the Republicans answer to the same economic benefactors and are yoked to the same elitist agendas that are detrimental to the many for the sake of the few. Whether you vote for one or the other will have zero overall impact on what happens.

Eventually you have to accept that you can't fix a boat full of rotten timber by minutely dealing with each rotten part, and build a new one.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Epi - I got a good chuckle from your post. We're not a capitalist democracy - The US is supposed to be a representative republic with small flirtations with democracy at State and Local levels.

I either didn't lead the horse close enough to water or the instinct to drink has not yet been imprinted.

A little looking around might see that I'm not a fan of most republicans holding office.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:28 AM
eripiomundus (Offline)
The Next Bard

Thanks 109

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Epi - I got a good chuckle from your post. We're not a capitalist democracy - The US is supposed to be a representative republic with small flirtations with democracy at State and Local levels.

I either didn't lead the horse close enough to water or the instinct to drink has not yet been imprinted.

A little looking around might see that I'm not a fan of most republicans holding office.
You're honestly going to claim the US isn't supposedly democratic and capitalist? I know, and acknowledged in my first post, that the administration has strayed far enough from democratic ideals to render calling it democratic a joke, but that's more about corruption of the ideal than any claim the US is not supposedly democratic in the first place. The term representative republic is, according to Wikipedia, interchangeable with representative democracy, so chuckle as you like.

As for whether you're a fan of most Republicans - I don't think anyone who's a regular here would consider you anything other than leaning toward republican whether or not you disapprove of certain partisans amongst them.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:39 AM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 353

Eripiomundus -- it's pretty much understood throughout the world that a republic is a form of democratic government -- and that in the context you're using it, you're not talking about a direct democracy. But some people here in the sates will think it's a smart thing to correct you.

I once posted a quote by W.E.B. Du Bois, the historian, author and social critic in which he mentioned democracy in the general sense --

Sure enough, someone came along and ignored the context of the word and overall meaning of the quote just so he could say, "Hey, FYI! We live in a republic, not a democracy!

Because W.E.B. Du Bois had NO idea what kind of government we have here in the U.S.!

Chuckles indeed...

Last edited by Myers; 08-13-2017 at 05:58 AM..
Old 08-16-2017, 08:48 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Originally Posted by eripiomundus View Post
Y

As for whether you're a fan of most Republicans - I don't think anyone who's a regular here would consider you anything other than leaning toward republican whether or not you disapprove of certain partisans amongst them.
then you lack certain powers of observation. Or you fall into a binary of "If not decidedly Democrat, must be Republican.

Man, I wish James Webb would have gotten the 2016 Dem nomination.....

Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

I guess the definition of the word "leaning" is now up for debate...
Old 08-16-2017, 07:54 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

And James Webb is now a OK with same sex marriage.

Must be one of them deviant degenerate types!

Yeee haw!!!
Old 08-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651
Default Democracy is the art of running the circus from the monkey cage.” — Herman Melville

Ignoring the current state of de-evolution....

Originally Posted by Myers;735664[SIZE=1
]Eripiomundus -- it's pretty much understood throughout the world that a republic is a form of democratic government -- and that in the context you're using it, you're not talking about a direct democracy. But some people here in the sates will think it's a smart thing to correct you.[/SIZE]

I once posted a quote by W.E.B. Du Bois, the historian, author and social critic in which he mentioned democracy in the general sense --

Sure enough, someone came along and ignored the context of the word and overall meaning of the quote just so he could say, "Hey, FYI! We live in a republic, not a democracy!

Because W.E.B. Du Bois had NO idea what kind of government we have here in the U.S.!

Chuckles indeed...

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
.. W.E.B. Du Bois had NO idea what kind of government we have here in the U.S.!..
Section 4 - Republican form of government guaranteed. Each State to be protected.
The United States shall guarantee to every state in this union, a republican form of government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on application of the legislature, or of the executive (when the legislature cannot be convened), against domestic violence.
— United States Constitution Article 4, Section 4

"
Democracy is the most vile form of government. ... democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property: and have in general been as short in their lives as the have been violent in their deaths."
— James Madison (1751-1836) Father of the Constitution, 4th President of the U. S.

We are a Republic. Real Liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of Democracy.”
— Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804) Lawyer, Secretary of the Treasury & Secretary of State

“A simple democracy is the devil's own government.”
— Benjamin Rush (1745-1813) Founding Father& signer of the Declaration of Independence

“A democracy is a volcano, which conceals the fiery materials of its own destruction. These will produce an eruption, and carry desolation in their way.”
— Fisher Ames (1758-1808) Founding Father and framer of the First Amendment to the Constitution

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide. It is in vain to say that democracy is less vain, less proud, less selfish, less ambitious, or less avaricious than aristocracy or monarchy. It is not true, in fact, and nowhere appears in history. Those passions are the same in all men, under all forms of simple government, and when unchecked, produce the same effects of fraud, violence, and cruelty. When clear prospects are opened before vanity, pride, avarice, or ambition, for their easy gratification, it is hard for the most considerate philosophers and the most conscientious moralists to resist the temptation. Individuals have conquered themselves. Nations and large bodies of men, never.”
— John Adams (1797-1801) Second President of the United States and Patriot

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine percent."
— Thomas Jefferson, Author of the Declaration of Independence, 3rd President of the U. S.

“Pure democracy cannot subsist long nor be carried far into the departments of state, it is very subjet to caprice and the madness of popular rage.”
— John Witherspoon (1722-1794) Educator, Economist, Minister, Writer & Founding Father

"The known propensity of a democracy is to licentiousness which the ambitious call, and ignorant believe to be liberty."
— Fisher Ames (1758-1808) Founding Father and framer of the First Amendment to the Constitution

“We have seen the tumults of democracy terminate, in France, as they have everywhere terminated, in despotism.”
— Gouverneur Morris (1752-1816) Statesman, Diplomat, writer of the final draft of the Constitution

“The known propensity of a democracy is to licentiousness, which the ambitious call, and the ignorant believe to be, liberty.”— Fisher Ames (1758-1808) Founding Father and framer of the First Amendment to the Constitution

[QUOTE]

Democracy is the art of running the circus from the monkey cage.”
— Herman Melville (1819–1891) Author, short story writer & poet

"Every government is a parliament of whores. The trouble is, in a democracy, the whores are us.
— P. J. O'Rourke (1947--) Political ournalist, writer, and author

“Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule— and both commonly succeed, and are right.”
— Henry L. Mencken (1880-1956) American journalist editor & satirist

“You can never have a revolution in order to establish democracy. You must have a democracy in order to have a revolution.”
— Gilbert Keith Chesterton (1874-1936) British Journalist, Poet, Author and Playwright

“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
— Henry L. Mencken (1880-1956) American Writer

“Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.”
— George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950) Irish Author, Playwright and Essayist

“The cure for the evils of democracy is more democracy.”
— Henry L. Mencken (1880-1956) American Writer

In the 'Murrican Democracy....Barrack Hussein Obama

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Chuckles indeed...

Old 08-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651
Default Does she not know, or just deranged?

It could be that Kamala was taken a bit out of context, but probably not....

And I'll post a source, and warn you to consider the source

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortne...&newsletterad=

Joe Arpaio was convicted because he committed a crime. He should not be pardoned. https://t.co/YGvQkK6Kae
— Kamala Harris (@SenKamalaHarris) August 23, 2017

Hot Air's Ed Morrissey then briefed Harris on pardons, explaining that individuals are only eligible for pardons if they've committed a crime or been convicted of one in the first place.

As Ed notes, Harris's experience as an attorney general suggests she should perhaps have a better grasp on the subject.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

I've seen all that before.

What I mean is there is a broader definition of democracy -- not just the narrow one we have here in the states when referring to a republic vs. a direct democray. It's out there in the various dictionaries if you choose to look it up.

Even some of the quotes you've provided like the ones from P.J. O'Rourke, Mencken or Melville don't specifically refer to direct democracy -- it's pretty clear they are talking about the weaknesses inherent in the current system overall -- what can happen when people have a say in government -- including how politicians take advantage of it.

This as opposed to quotes you see from the founders that are clearly about direct democracy vs. a republic.

Context, Mohican. Context.

Since you're into using quotations to make your point, I'll add an oldie but goodie from Emerson:

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..."

Last edited by Myers; 08-27-2017 at 09:48 AM..
Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Perhaps we should determine what consistency and foolish consistency is with these funny little Bromides.

Or we could but ourselves on the line and really define how and when we think Democracy or other forms of government could work.

And why wasn't Mellville, O'Rourke and others referring to Direct Democracy? Did they whisper such in your ear?

Especially the "older" writers like Mellville (sp), Menken, Alexis De Tocqueville were indeed warning about direct democracy, and perhaps too much democracy.

When Andy Jackson was elected many of the surviving "founders" blathered on about too many people voting, and the wrong sort voting, lol.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 353

Perhaps we should determine what consistency and foolish consistency is with these funny little Bromides.
In this case, the foolish consistency is not recognizing that in a particular context, democracy can have a broader meaning than direct democracy.

And why wasn't Mellville, O'Rourke and others referring to Direct Democracy? Did they whisper such in your ear?
I think it's a good bet -- unless the context was a response for some call to do away with the republic or hold more referendums etc. -- and not the inherent problems of uninformed voters and politicians who pander to them etc. etc.

Or we could but ourselves on the line and really define how and when we think Democracy or other forms of government could work.
I'm all ears.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table