WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Have you had political views that have changed over the Years?

Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 637
Default Have you had political views that have changed over the Years?

I was raised in a household where my parents, especially my Mom was active in Republican politics - especially local politics.

Through the years I see a few Republicans as decent people - but on the whole, especially once they enter national politics- I have come to view most of them as toxic.

I have always viewed Democrat politicians as a whole as toxic - They believe- or pander to people with ideas that are anathema to me.

I was never a lock step Republican or a lock step Democrat hater - my mom and Grandma told me of how my Grandpa, high up in the county Republicans actively campaigned for a Democrat Governor during the Depression. So I've always had the example in front of me person before party.

I have come to disdain all but two or three "conservative" talk radio voices. The one I like the most is also one who has also jumped off the Republican bandwagon, and like me thinks there is no cure in Mordor On The Potomac from "electing the right Republicans."

In sum - I little faith in "political cures".

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 04:24 PM
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 375

Yeah I went from a starry-eyed youth who thought a democratic election cycle could create a difference in terms of governance by people having the power to vote for a system of governance that best represents them, to the conclusion that governance is completely independent of the people and the election cycle is farcical.
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
Myers (07-18-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=PickleBottom

governance is completely independent of the people and the election cycle is farcical

[/QUOTE]

Yeah.
If they expect much more mileage out of the current vehicle they will need to restrict it's operation to a closed course.

It tends to suffer frequent breakdowns out here on the roads the milling millions are traversing daily.
PickleBottom (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 330

You're regressing Nick. What's the problem?
Old 07-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
You're regressing Nick. What's the problem?

Not regressing.
No problem.
Prefer my proprietary quote presentation appearance.

Kinda Spartan, huh?

Now when I learn how to post pics of my 2 room, floor tiltin', paint peelin, wood dry rotting, termite infested, built in 1945 next to a one lane sand alley chateau that will be progressing.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 330

On a different but perhaps related train of thought...

I've been watching a series produced by CNN that covers the big news stories by decade, 60's, 70's, 80's etc.

Most of it is comprised of stories from the nightly news and docs produced by the big three networks of the era.

You really get the feeling watching this that the guys out in the field were really reporting and doing their level best to get at was going on.

The stories from the civil rights movement and from Vietnam were amazing, no holds barred -- and the coverage of Watergate was very evenhanded, very much a delivery of "here's what we know now."

They really did pack a lot into those half-hour nightly broadcasts. And those where the days when network news was essentially a loss leader -- they weren't concerned with making money.

Is it possible people were better informed when there were only the three nightly newscasts, two, maybe three big papers in each city and a couple of national news magazines?

I'm thinking maybe they were...

Last edited by Myers; 07-19-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM
Myers (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 330

Originally Posted by Nick Pierce View Post
Not regressing.
No problem.
Prefer my proprietary quote presentation appearance.

Kinda Spartan, huh?
I'd say more pointless than Spartan. But whatever -- as the kids say.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Nick Pierce (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,262

[QUOTE=Myers

whatever -- as the kids say

[/QUOTE]

That's the spirit, Daddy-o!
Old 07-20-2017, 03:05 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 150

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
I was raised in a household where my parents, especially my Mom was active in Republican politics - especially local politics.

Through the years I see a few Republicans as decent people - but on the whole, especially once they enter national politics- I have come to view most of them as toxic.

I have always viewed Democrat politicians as a whole as toxic - They believe- or pander to people with ideas that are anathema to me.

I was never a lock step Republican or a lock step Democrat hater - my mom and Grandma told me of how my Grandpa, high up in the county Republicans actively campaigned for a Democrat Governor during the Depression. So I've always had the example in front of me person before party.

I have come to disdain all but two or three "conservative" talk radio voices. The one I like the most is also one who has also jumped off the Republican bandwagon, and like me thinks there is no cure in Mordor On The Potomac from "electing the right Republicans."

In sum - I little faith in "political cures".
Democracy will never cure society's ills, it's an expression of them. Politicians will promise anything to get elected. Morality, or even stragegic planning, comes a poor second to that.

Because of the insecurity inherent in democracy it attracts the wrong types, those in it for a quick buck or some other abuse of power. You'll be shunned by the electorate eventually so who would be in it for anything else?

Having promised the world to get elected they either have to deliver the impossible or throw away their manifesto, which is a lot more popular these days. I remember when politicians could at least be shamed into resigning if they didn't keep a promise.

Over the years I've come to see elections as clever distractions, the election of leaders just a political game of musical chairs to con us all into thinking we have a choice.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table