WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Creating My Own Fictional World

Old 04-08-2017, 07:37 AM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4
Default Creating My Own Fictional World

For six year now, I have been working on a trilogy mod for a game. I have already completed the first part, and will very soon be completing part 2. And then I'll be starting the final chapter.

I am nearly finished writing the story for part 2. In the future, when I have completed the entire trilogy mod, I plan to write a trilogy of books based on the game I created. Certain aspects of the story however will be changed and improved, new scenes will be added, etc.

I created my own world to set the story in. This is an alternate dimension from Earth. Here are some facts about it.

-It is a medieval style world.
-The population has barely been a hundred thousand people in its history.
-The world was created by seven deities who ultimately later chose to give up their divinity, though doing so still left them with their powers and immense longevity. At first they lived in seclusion away from humanity, but one of them, in human form, ended up becoming king of the land. However, he ended up becoming a tyrant who conquered the world and his six brethren were forced to kill him. However, as a result of the cruel reign of their brother, the people of the land developed a fear and hatred of magic and those who practiced it. The six remaining former deities divided the entire world into seven kingdoms and took up residence in one of them. Those seven kingdoms are named after them.
-Each of the seven kingdoms has a few human settlements and one city.
-Three of the kingdoms join together to form one large landmass. The remaining four are separate islands.
-Four of the lands represent one of the four elements: fire, earth, water, and air. The kingdom representing fire is a desert world surrounded by several volcanic islands. The water kingdom has more lakes, rivers, and bodies of water than the others. The city itself also has water flowing through it, similar to Venice. The air kingdom has a higher elevation above sea level, but often suffers more windstorms than the other kingdoms. The earth kingdom is known for its rich farmland, lush forests, and mountain ranges.
-Twenty five centuries of fear and hatred towards those who use magic finally end following a civil war among them where two renegade magic users, who happen to be father and son, united to exterminate the human population, opposed by many of their fellow kin, including a member of their own family. At the end, the father was stripped of his powers and banished to another world, and the son was slain in battle with another, though that hero also died in the aftermath of the battle. Very few practicioners of magic were still around to enjoy the established peace between normal humans and their own kind. Of course, two of the kingdoms had been completely cleared of human life, and one of them to this day remains under a terrible curse.
-The entire realm is quite tiny compared to Earth. So small, that it is actually possible to sail by ship between the lands within less than half a day, the quickest time being several hours.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on what I've got for this fictional world, how it looks, what is good, and any suggestions.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:49 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

The first thing that struck me is the size of this world. If one can sail between kingdoms in half a day, then it is more the size of a single small state in the US. Say, Massachusetts. So the rest of the world is what? Uninhabited? We as readers/players don't know? Anyway, that's a small portion of the world.

The second thing is the population after 2500 years is only 100,000? There must be a lot of people dying. Otherwise, a thriving society would have many many more people. In 2500 years the population for the US has gone from about 500,000 (best guess) to 318,000,000. People are like rabbits unless there is some ritualistic mass slaughter going on.

I'm not a big fan of fantasy, but I do like to see it (or anything else) have some realism.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:17 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

well if anyone can make some suggestions for how to make it more realistic, let me know.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:50 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 831

It's hard to see what works and what doesn't work without reading the story. Really, a good writer can make almost any story work. I'm not sure what a trilogy mod for a game is, but a lot of unrealistic stories work in games. The things I suggested were just things that stuck out to me on first glance.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:55 PM
zenj (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Amazing!

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues