WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

SmashWords - footnote HELL

Old 09-13-2016, 04:48 AM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 85
Default SmashWords - footnote HELL

Heya brothers and sisters,

So I have one of those problems. It's a small problem that's grown to the point where I will either: solve it this week, or; commit human rights atrocities.

The problem
I have a book on SmashWords and am unable to get it into their premium catalogue thanks to a problem with the footnotes. I've watched their painfully long how-to-do-navigation video and read the relevant parts of their even painfully longer style guide, and everything I'm doing looks right.

I'd really like to get this into their premium catalogue. I wrote this awesome book like seven years ago and haven't ever properly promoted it because it's not really properly published on the site. I've built extensive networks now in the arts and book industry and want to give promoting this book a proper go.

I suspect I simply can't use footnotes and need to handle them in a different way, but don't quite know what that might be.

Can anyone help?
Can anyone help me fix the footnote error in my book so I can get it on SmashWords premium?

I will be eternally grateful.

I am happy to review/edit something you've written in exchange for the help, for example - I work as an editor for a traditional publishing house here in Australia.

Let me know if you can help shed light on this. Happy to send the word doc through.

Cheers,
Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Short+Sweet Theatre needs good writers to become
Old 09-13-2016, 06:45 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Pete. I'm not sure I can help.

I gave up on smashwords after trying and trying to follow the surreal directions and decided to spend money I can't spare for an expert who guarantees acceptance.

The thing I realized was that smashwords came up with a software they use to qualify what gets on. The software decides acceptence. If you deviate outside of what the software is programmed to look for you'll have a problem. Why not just do the footnotes the way they want?

Or you could call your version of a footnote something other than footnote and attach to the body of work. An Aside. Special Note. Further Consideration.

I am totally impressed you got to where you are with the format required. I found doing so was so complex it was like a snake dance on speed. Good luck to you. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:03 AM
PeteMalicki (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 85

Hi WRC,

Thanks heaps for the response.

Yeah, I hear you! Surreal is a good word for it. The problem is, it's not clear what the way they want footnotes to be is.

In the end, after years of false starts on this one, I just today removed the footnotes entirely and added their associated text into the body of the manuscript, and it finally worked! I even incorporated a few 'fuck you SmashWords for ruining my footnotes' into the text, so that's fun.

Honestly though, they should develop their software so it fixes up common things like footnotes and hyperlinks. It would be doable, and it would make submitting way easier for people who either aren't technical or don't have time to learn how to do formatting specifically for SmashWords.

Book cover's due next week, then I'm finally ready to market my e-book. Woot!

Pete

|
|

Short+Sweet Theatre needs good writers to become

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing