WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Monroe Bergdorf

Old 10-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 364

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...d-not-a-victim

http://metro.co.uk/2017/10/08/people...ok-ad-6985415/

And we have another one. The only thing that annoys me about this is that Dove apologised
I went to lunch with a bunch of former colleagues today and this came up. The consensus, without people thinking too hard about it was that it was somehow racist.

I caught some shit for saying it was well-intentioned and pretty tone deaf -- but not racist.

Kind of a dumb execution, especially considering the history of using illustrations of black and white children to show a before and after in vintage soap advertising. That occurred to me in about one nanosecond after seeing it. I can't believe they missed it.

Slideshows on the internet and group emails showing racist/sexist vintage advertising have been going around for a long time -- those ads are always included. Hard to believe anyone in advertising at that level wouldn't be aware of them and make the connection. Not that you would even need to be aware of those ads to see how it could come off the wrong way.

Otherwise, I gathered it was about using the soap on different skin types combined with some feel good message about how we're all same underneath, etc. etc.

It could be that if they'd simply rearranged the sequence of the women -- this controversy could have been avoided. Oh well.

Last edited by Myers; 10-10-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Old 10-11-2017, 02:51 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 701

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
It could be that if they'd simply rearranged the sequence of the women -- this controversy could have been avoided. Oh well.
Sounds like you used to work with a few bleeding hearts...

This is the thing according to the girl in the ad -- the white girl changes into an Asian... so shouldn't whites be mad by the same token? By this before and after (nonsense) logic, being Asian is the ultimate expression of... I dunno... being more moisturised I guess. And you're right, switch the order and you won't hear a peep.

Just seems like another opportunity for people who like to use any excuse to display moral indignation in a big lame point scoring fest.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:29 AM
Myers (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 364

They work at ad agencies. So they really did get it -- and as much as said they understood the intention and the concept behind the ad. They just wanted that buzz that comes with righteous indignation and wouldn't admit it.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:22 AM
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 870

This is the thing according to the girl in the ad -- the white girl changes into an Asian... so shouldn't whites be mad by the same token? By this before and after (nonsense) logic, being Asian is the ultimate expression of... I dunno... being more .

Yeah, everyone knows asians have better skin than white people. It's just a fact.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table