WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Character Clinic Example -- Charlie

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel
Default Character Clinic Example -- Charlie

Title: Charles Houston Phillips. Please, call me Charlie.

Body: All right, well, I’m Charlie. I work at a bar called Donnie’s. Not a great job, but it pays the bills. I live in an apartment on Appleby and Bradley. Small, but cozy. My father died long before I was born and my mother was a drunk.

I’m twenty-three and I’ve never had a girlfriend. Never found a girl I really liked. I read quite a lot and I play the cello. I like old movies, specifically the ones with Jack Lemmon in them. My comedy hero, that man.

My friend Kassy says I’m a bit of a nerd because I wear glasses and I’m a history freak. Kassy is a great friend. She’s also beautiful. She sort of has a secret, though. A big one. Don’t tell her I told you, but she’s a vampyre.

Last edited by Castiel; 01-15-2009 at 04:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Castiel For This Useful Post:
eritahj (10-09-2014)
Old 01-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Q Wands (Offline)
a Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Er, do you mean Jack Lemmon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Hey Charlie! Nice to meet you. You seem awfully nonchalant about Kassy being a vampyre. Doesn't that freak you out? I mean, beautiful, fine, and nice... but blood-sucking undead is kinda scary.

Maybe you like her. You say you never found a girl you really liked, but in your next breath you're saying how gorgeous Kassy is. How long have you known her? When'd you find out the secret?

A history buff, huh? What kind of history do you like? Any particular era?
Old 01-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38
Send a message via AIM to Castiel Send a message via MSN to Castiel Send a message via Yahoo to Castiel Send a message via Skype™ to Castiel

Originally Posted by Q Wands View Post
Er, do you mean Jack Lemmon?
Yes, I did.

Answers for HoiLei
Old 01-15-2009, 05:05 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Originally Posted by Charlie
About two months after we met at Donnie's. I caught her drinking a glass of pig's blood.
Were you both working there, or was she a customer at Donnie's?

Okay, the pig blood thing. Give me some details... Where was she when you saw that? How'd you know it was pig's blood? I mean, it could have been red wine or something, especially if it was in a nice glass. Then, how'd you feel when you knew it was blood? Did you ask questions, or run away, or what? Did the relationship change after that?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Originally Posted by HoiLei View Post
Were you both working there, or was she a customer at Donnie's?

Okay, the pig blood thing. Give me some details... Where was she when you saw that? How'd you know it was pig's blood? I mean, it could have been red wine or something, especially if it was in a nice glass. Then, how'd you feel when you knew it was blood? Did you ask questions, or run away, or what? Did the relationship change after that?
She was working there at the time. As a waitress.

She was in the break room. She told me what it was.

Quite frankly, I felt sick. I actually threw up after she told me. The relationship changed once I knew her secret. I'd been wondering why she was an oddball.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:21 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Are vampyres common where you are? I mean, she didn't try very hard to hide it. But she obviously wants it to be a secret. You must be a trustworthy guy.

So, a little bit more about you:
You like comedy. Are you funny?

Describe a typical evening.

What's in your CD player right now?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Are vampyres common where you are? I mean, she didn't try very hard to hide it. But she obviously wants it to be a secret. You must be a trustworthy guy.

So, a little bit more about you:
You like comedy. Are you funny?

Describe a typical evening.

What's in your CD player right now?
They are pretty common. But you don't know they're there until you get into their world.

I suppose I am. Or I try, at least.

Typical evening? Working from 7pm to 4am, going home, reading or watching TV, going to bed around 7am and sleeping till five or six.

Within Temptation.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Are you afraid of anything? What?

Tell me about a time you got angry. What was it about? How did you react? Do you look back on it calmly or does it still piss you off?
Old 01-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Are you afraid of anything? What?

Tell me about a time you got angry. What was it about? How did you react? Do you look back on it calmly or does it still piss you off?
I hate to admit it, but I am afraid of Tristan, the leader of Kassy's pack.

The last time I got angry was when I was fifteen. It was a debate in English about who was a better author: Patricia Cornwell or Dean Koontz. I threw Stephen King in as a joke, and a classmate got blown up about it and called me a smug bastard. I called him an arrogant ass, and that was when we both got sent to the principal's. I look back on it and laugh.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 481

Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
I hate to admit it, but I am afraid of Tristan, the leader of Kassy's pack.
Does Kassy know that you're scared of Tristan? Why does he scare you? How do the two of you interact?
Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Does Kassy know that you're scared of Tristan? Why does he scare you? How do the two of you interact?
She doesn't. You apparently never met Tristan. Not a nice guy. His dominance over everyone is enough to make anyone terrified.

We don't interact. I don't like him, he doesn't like me.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 AM
El902 (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 43
Send a message via AIM to El902 Send a message via MSN to El902

Hey Cas! Sorry it took so long to get here

__

How did your parents death affect you? How old were you when they died. Them?

Why did you begin working at Donnie's? Despite the economic times and the unemployment rates skyrocketing (seriously, did anyone read the news? They're as high as they were in WW2!) restaurants are always flourishing -- maybe not in money, but in how quickly they loose their irresponsible staff. So if you're hard on money, surely you could find a job that pays better?

What's your workplace like? Do you get along with your coworkers? What about Kassy - does she like them or even speak to them?

How did you and Kassy meet? Was there any chemistry between you? How long have you known each other?

What has changed about your life since you met Kassy? Did she influence any special tastes in movies or books? Maybe gave you an interest in the Victorian era?

When Kassy told you she was a vampire, how did you react? You seem pretty laid back about--like it's old news--so I assume she told you a long time ago, yes? Have you ever been afraid of her? Have you met anyone else from her Coven (didn't you decide on 'Coven' Castiel?)?

Now tell me five facts about your childhood that immediately come to mind - NO THINKING... Well, OK, think, but not too hard. The very first five things you remember, whether it's seeing a butterfly for the first time or your mother's first drunken episode - or both.

What would you go buy right now if you had eleven dollars and eighty two cents? Alright, make it an even twelve. And some change, I guess, for tax. Never mind, what would you buy?

Nice to meet you Charlie (and why do you prefer that name?)
Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

How did your parents death affect you? How old were you when they died. Them?

Well, my father's death did not affect me since I didn't know him. And my mother is not dead.

Why did you begin working at Donnie's? Despite the economic times and the unemployment rates skyrocketing (seriously, did anyone read the news? They're as high as they were in WW2!) restaurants are always flourishing -- maybe not in money, but in how quickly they loose their irresponsible staff. So if you're hard on money, surely you could find a job that pays better?

I started working at Donnie's because that's my uncle's place. I'm the only reliable bartender he has, so I stick around for him.

What's your workplace like? Do you get along with your coworkers? What about Kassy - does she like them or even speak to them?

Well, Donnie's is actually in a warehouse on the outskirts of town. It's usually kind of darkish inside since the only real source of light are the flashing ones. Annoying, but it makes for a pretty good atmosphere.

Kassy usually keeps her distance from the waitresses and the other bartender that also works my shift. She does occasionally talk to uncle Donnie.

How did you and Kassy meet? Was there any chemistry between you? How long have you known each other?

We met at Donnie's. She came in for a Scotch and we got to talking. No chemistry. At least on her side. I believe I already answered, but three years.

What has changed about your life since you met Kassy? Did she influence any special tastes in movies or books? Maybe gave you an interest in the Victorian era?

What's changed? Well, everything. I've been sucked into the world of vampyres. That's not exactly a normal sorta thing. She didn't really influence anything, just made my love for it stronger.

When Kassy told you she was a vampire, how did you react? You seem pretty laid back about--like it's old news--so I assume she told you a long time ago, yes? Have you ever been afraid of her? Have you met anyone else from her Coven (didn't you decide on 'Coven' Castiel?)?

I reacted like anyone else would. I freaked out, called her a liar and a psycho, but once it really sunk into me, I made my peace with it. I've never really been afraid of her, just Tristan. I actually go over to her place sometimes, so I've met other vampyres from the Society.

Now tell me five facts about your childhood that immediately come to mind - NO THINKING... Well, OK, think, but not too hard. The very first five things you remember, whether it's seeing a butterfly for the first time or your mother's first drunken episode - or both.

1) My first trip to the zoo. 2) When I fell of the swings at the park. 3) When my mother hit me during a drunken episode 4) Staying at Donnie's when I was temporarally taken away from my mother. 5) Smoking my first cigarette at age eleven.

What would you go buy right now if you had eleven dollars and eighty two cents? Alright, make it an even twelve. And some change, I guess, for tax. Never mind, what would you buy?

A book. Any book. Two if they're cheap.

Nice to meet you Charlie (and why do you prefer that name?)

Nice to meet you too, El902. I prefer the name Charlie because Charles is to formal for me.

---

No problem, El. I knew you'd get here.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Hello Charlie

You did not mention any siblings, have you got any, or if not have you ever wanted any?

Oh and a cookie for you if you can tell me why you might have reason to be scared of me. (then again you are not scared of Kassy so you should not be scared of me )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:04 PM
Castiel (Offline)
Resident Vampire

Thanks 38

Hello, Tau. I don't have any siblings and I never really wanted them either.

---

Thanks Tau for your questions, but I'm closing this to leave it as an example.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics