WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons

Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons Poetry Tools and Lessons on the Beat. Your first stop for learning and help with poetic technique.

9&60 Ways - Alliterative Verse

Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 483
Default 9&60 Ways - Alliterative Verse

English had a fine tradition of alliterative verse. Also known as Anglo-Saxon Prosody, this form of poetry has simple rules:
  1. Each line has four stressed syllables. Only the stressed syllables carry relevant alliteration, so dont worry about the unstressed ones. (A stressed syllable can be represented with this: / )
  2. Each line can be cut in half, with two phrases separated by a pause. (The pause can be marked like this: || )
  3. The two halves of each line are linked by alliteration.
    • In earliest Anglo-Saxon poetry, the first stresses on each side alliterate. Any vowel alliterates with any other.
    • In later forms, three of the four syllables alliterate. Vowel sounds alliterate if they sound the same.
So the line would look like this: / / || / /

Let's look at the first lines of Beowulf, written around 1000 AD (it's Old English, so don't expect to understand it). I added the pauses:

Hwt! We Gardena || in geardagum, _____ Lo, praise of the prowess of people-kings
eodcyninga, || rym gefrunon, _________ of spear-armed Danes, in days long sped,
hu a elingas || ellen fremedon. _______ we have heard, and what honor the athelings won!

The medieval poem "Piers Plowman", written by William Langland in the 1300's, shows the alliteration of at least three syllables:

In a somer seson, whan softe was the sonne,
I shoop me into shroudes as I a sheep were,
In habite as an heremite unholy of werkes,
Wente wide in this world wondres to here.

A more modern example would be Richard Wilbur's stately poem "Junk" (1961):

An axe angles from my neighbor's ashcan;
It is hell's handiwork, the wood not hickory,
The flow of the grain not faithfully followed.

So your challenge this time: try your hand at alliterative verse! Questions and comments about this lesson go in this thread. Your work can be posted as a separate thread with the "Alliterative Verse" in the title.

(If you're very interested in this, a much more thorough explanation can be found here: http://alliteration.net/fieldgd.htm . I'd like to thank Mr. Paul Deane, of that site, for answering my questions. Any mistakes, as usual, are my own.)

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry > Nine and Sixty Ways Poetry Tools and Lessons