WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Hi from South east London

Old 06-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Ant Richards
Default Hi from South east London

Greetings folks!
As you may suspect, I am new to this site and I thought it would be a good idea to join a forum like this one to introduce myself and get feedback from other likewise partners in writing.
As a quick intro, I am about to publish my first novel, titled 'In your Dreams'.
This I am doing through a self-publishing company based in the US, I'm sure some of you may already know; I-Universe.
I have just approved the proof reads and covers so as I type, I-Universe are in the process of updating the corrections and hopefully the publishing should not be too far away.
Anyway, although live, I have not fully and agresively launched my website ust yet,
I believe it's best to do so when I have a more definite date of book launch. There is so much momentum one can keep before boring the prospective followers, right? Any suggestion or feedback though, would be more than welcome.
Well, that is me for now. Look forward to hearing from you guys.
Best,
Ant

The Following User Says Thank You to Ant Richards For This Useful Post:
gerrielynn (03-05-2015)
Old 06-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

Nice to meet you, Ant,

Congrats on the publishing. It's one of the biggest questions: website or blog? Wesites are good if you have the money to maintain the site and domian name. I think I pay 75 a year for mine.

With blogs, you can set them up just like a website and not pay anything.

I have both. The website I keep for my work, the blog for interviews and blog rolls etc. I didn't set mine up until after.

I would recommend joining the likes of Goodreads. They're the best source for me.

Good luck with the release! It's a nervous time. You rush for so long to try and get a book out there, then when it's ready, you feel like grabbing it back and running away.

Or maybe that's just me, lol.

Welcome to WB.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).

Last edited by Whiskers; 06-17-2014 at 01:30 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Whiskers For This Useful Post:
Ant Richards (06-16-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Thanks Whiskers!
Yes these are anxious and exciting times. I am paying about the same more or less a year for my site - just started it a month ago.
Re the blogs, I'm not too sure how to tackle it initially. I would think it will be a good idea to start one, once I know when the book is due to be published, that way it'll be easier to keep up the interest and momentum?
Anyway, I'll have a look at Goodreads as you recommended.
Cheers!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:33 AM
Whiskers (Offline)
Picturing the Scene

Thanks 498

It's good with the blogs too because they can feed through to your website and the likes of Goodreads (and Facebook) all at the same time. With Goodreads, I have an author account there, but I go in mainly as a reader and commenting with readers on books they/we like. They're a nice bunch of people.

(Website warning: No under 18s (21 in some areas).

Last edited by Whiskers; 06-21-2014 at 02:41 AM..
Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 AM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Thanks Whiskers!
I will definitely give Goodreads a go and follow your recommendation.
Re Facebook, I have created the author's page but haven't launched as yet as (again) waiting for a more approximate publishing date for the book before I switch it live.
Fingers crossed
Old 09-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hi Whiskers,
It's been time since I visited The Beat. Between some personal things happening; home moving, bereavement and marketing the book, I have been pretty busy.
Yes, the book is out. In fact, it came out officially on 27 June, and became available on Amazon and other online retailers on 1 July.
Of course, website went live probably days afte my last message. Now, I'm in the interesting bit of promoting and marketing the book - no easy task when you don't have the financial background.
I've opened a twitter account, facebook page and of course my website.
Other than that, local networking at work, friends & family, local businesses in the southeast and well, taking it from there really.
The book is called 'In your Dreams' and the website is as my name. Please have a look for yourself.
How are you doing in the literary front?
Ant
Old 09-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Slick-Jimmy (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 134

Welcome, AR!

I just back The Beat after a long hiatus, so I'm a bit of a noob in a way. Post up, and let us have a taste of your good stuff.

See, you .round the joint.

Write Hard,
Jimmy Out.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 AM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Greetings once again Whiskers and Slick-Jimmy ..and anyone else who wishes to join,
I'm back after more than a month absence. Been quite busy putting together my forthcoming collection of short stories, marketing and promoting my current book (with very limited success I must admit) and well doing all possible to try to ditch my currently boring 9 to 5 and live off the proceeds of my writing. In addition, I have taken a couple of well-deserved breaks in Spain and Turkey!
I have also joined other related websites and forums.
Can any of you tell me how I can upload on WB one of my shortest short stories to get feedback from you fine bunch of people?
Keep well and safe,
Ant

Last edited by Ant Richards; 03-05-2015 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: Adding text
Old 03-05-2015, 09:23 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 401

Ah uploading to the site, hmmmmm.... Let me see if I can remember....

Access desired file to upload, highlight text, CTRL+C (Copy, you can also right click and hit copy), go to desired upload location on this website, create new thread, click empty text box, CTRL+V (Paste, you can also right click this as well), and submit new thread. Then stare at the computer screen constantly clicking refresh until you see a comment.

That was in no way patronizing, I hope, I'm in kind of a funny mood today.

Welcome back fellow earth civilian!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 AM
gerrielynn (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Note to Ant

Hello, Ant. I hope I'm replying to you directly. I've just come back to this site after several years of being away, and saw your post as a newbie back in June '14. I wanted to ask you how your the promotion of your book is coming along.

Did you copy it to put on this site for members to read and comment on? Is it now available for purchase? Will we find it on Amazon.com?

I'm curious about how self publishing works and you might be the first person I will know of to follow and see how things work out. I sincerely hope the book is out there and selling now.

Let me know, okay?

Blessing,
gerrie
Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Ok, Daes13... I probably didn't phrase the question correctly.
What I meant was whether there is a dedicated area on this site in which one has to upload that kind of material.
The reason I was not too sure about starting a new thread was the length. Although they are short stories, they are on average 8-12 pages based on a regular paperback format, so just wanted to know if there is a particular area in Writersbeat that I have missed.
Thanks for your response anyway, did have a chuckle reading your instructions!
Old 03-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Reply to Gerrielynn

Hi Gerrielynn and thanks for your message
Promotion is ongoing and quite difficult because I have to rely on word of mouth, friends & family - which in some cases can be a double-edged knife, and set up events in local pubs, small venues, community centres which, despite their good intentions sometimes do not have a wider audience reach.
In the case of friends and acquaintances, more often than not you find that the closest and dearest (fortunately, mostly friends rather than family) are the ones that talk much but are too lazy when it comes to supporting. It's easier to share for example a funny Youtube video, whacky photo or chain message among your contacts on Facebook than to share your friend's website, promo posts, FB fan-page update that has been so laboriously worked on. That said, I have had more support from contacts I am not that close to or from complete strangers. The irony of human nature.
Digressing aside, the book finally got published end of June and yes it is available in ebook, paperback and hardback on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Harper & Indigo and most major online retailers.
On the back of what I've just mentioned above, sales have been weaker than I had wished for. It is a shame because although it is no 'War & Peace' the storyline is an interesting concept, just doesn't have a powerful marketing behind it.
My only regret during this process has been not sticking to my guns on certain aspects of the initial introduction which may have probably deterred some readers, but that is another lesson to take for my next project(s).
Hope you haven't fallen asleep by now and if you have any questions, by all means message me here and I'll be more than happy to reply to the best of my knowledge.
Keep well,
Ant
Old 03-05-2015, 01:33 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 401

Yes I did! I really hope you did as well. If I remember correctly the limit is 3000-3500 words, someone posted 8500 and was asked to break it up. Fiction is my favorite section, plus if you want to advertise other people can read it. Post a segment and tell people to ask to see more.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Reply to daes13

Ok that was helpful. And you've also given me a good idea regarding breaking the story up.
Well, that may well have to wait till tomorrow, Morpheaus is beckoning . Thanks a bunch

Ant
Old 03-05-2015, 11:31 PM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

Hi, welcome back.

Regarding the book, if i'm honest i'm not surprised you're struggling for sales at those prices.

21.59 for a hardback?
12.58 paperback?
5.39 kindle edition?

I'm not sure you can really blame your friends for not supporting you. At those prices I probably wouldn't buy it even if i'd written it myself. If I were you i'd revise those prices, if your publisher will allow, and maybe start advertising again. If they wont allow, which they probably wont, get out of there ASAP.
Are they doing any advertising themselves? Or did they just charge a ridiculous fee to publish then leave you to it?
Old 03-06-2015, 12:07 AM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default Reply to Rincewind

This is actually a new thing.
Originally i-Universe set these prices (kindle however was much lower at the time) but Amazon and other retailers sold for much lower. At the time of launch, the ebook was as low as $5.49 or 3.99 in the UK.
My gripe, which may have sound a bit emotional and subjective was more during the launch when prices seemed much more attractive than they are now, but I completely see your point.
Unfortunately, I had little control over the price. The upside is I have full rights over the book, but can't do much until I find an agent or maybe another self-publishing company - prefferably a UK based one - to relaunch. I would also change a few aspects, like the cover and the story description in the back cover to make it more atractive.
I am at a stage where I'm not sure I want to communicate with them other than to get the hell out! But thanks for your imput, it has added more weight to what I already suspected.
Appreciate your time in giving your opinion.
Ant
Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

3.99 is still quite high for a kindle edition of a writers debut book. I reckon you'd need a monumental beginning to get me to part with my cash. I am fairly mean though

Old 03-06-2015, 06:59 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 401

If you have the rights, why not just upload a new version at a reasonable price?
Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Nacia (Online)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 892

hi I am from east London welcome
to remind us
it is expensive a fine
so have one
in mind
Old 03-07-2015, 03:24 AM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Hi Nacia! Good to meet you

Daes13
I am seriously considering that, as well as probably rejiging the hardcopy version a bit. Anyone used Amazon for that purpose, any comments, feedback? I have read very mixed reviews so not sure whether to give them a try. Of course, all that also implies extra expenses, I suppose.
Open to ideas.
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2015, 04:19 AM
Rincewind (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 141

It wont cost you a bean to put it on Amazon. Creatspace will do print on demand, likely at a lot less than the price you have now, and you can sell the kindle version at any price you fancy. If you choose 70% royalties option, the price will be at least 2.32 but that's still a lot less than what you're charging now. On kdp you can give even give it away for a few days to gain some interest and downloads.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Ant Richards (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 2

Once I get the copyright certificate or whatever it is called from my publishing company, I will re-read the smallprint and start the process of moving the book somewhere else.
I suppose I should dig up the emails I have between creatspace and me to see what is the best way to proceed.
Thanks for the imput guys

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions