WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Beyond Tropes

Old 08-05-2018, 11:52 AM
spshane (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 73
Default Beyond Tropes

Been kicking around ideas for a thriller/horror story, which is a bit outside my element. I'm finding the genre riddled with tropes and clichés, and I don't really wanna to that. It seems that if you could just get teenagers and college students to quit fucking in the woods, you could eliminate 90% of most horror movies.

--Hey, what happened to those college kids?
--Oh, you didn't hear? They went into the woods.
--Really, that's crazy. Why would they do that?
--Don't know. I think they were fucking.
--Well, that's what happens when you fuck in the woods.

If it's not teens fucking in the woods, it's a mental asylum. The escaped mental patient is actually plausible, but it's just been done so many times.
You could probably eliminate another large chunk of horror films by eliminating the mental asylum trope.

There's the crazy man/woman that lives alone in a cabin. I really think that's a throw-back to Hansel and Gretel, right?

I read the other day about the whole "hey, man my cell phone doesn't work way out here," trope. And I don't really see that as a trope. I live "way out here" and my cell phone doesn't work most of the time either. That's just called rural living. It's just that we now in a world that's so spoiled that the very worst thing that could happen to you is lose cell coverage. It's like you cease to exist if your cell phone doesn't work. I actually prefer it that way, but I digress.

Tropes? What other thriller/horror tropes have been driven into the ground? In terms of filmmaking, I'll say the whole caught on tape/discovered footage trope as been driven into the ground. What else?

Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 AM
spshane (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 73

Oh, I almost forgot, the ancient Indian burial ground trope. The horror genre might disappear if not for the legacy of pissed off Indians.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,123

I get irritated when the main characters are relatively safe indoors behind a locked door until someone decides: "I'll take a torch and go look."

I would never take a torch and go look. Nobody would. Find a more convincing way to progress the story.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:49 PM
spshane (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 73

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post
I get irritated when the main characters are relatively safe indoors behind a locked door until someone decides: "I'll take a torch and go look."

I would never take a torch and go look. Nobody would. Find a more convincing way to progress the story.
Yes, divide and conquer seems to be overdone.

Also, a friend of mine had this interesting observation regarding masks.
He says, "if anyone breaks into your place wearing a mask, just let them take whatever. The whole reason they're wearing the mask is so that you can't identify them later. So, they're planning on you having a 'later'. If someone breaks in and they're not wearing a mask, fight like hell. They don't plan on you being alive to identify them later." I found is particular way of thinking rather interesting.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:53 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 131

Depends on the kind of mask. If it's a hockey mask, you should probably be pretty worried.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:16 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

In line with horror and thrillers - the car that cranks and cranks and cranks and just barely starts just as the bad guy/monster/whatever touches the car.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:18 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Originally Posted by Grace Gabriel View Post

When I go out at night I shut off the exterior lights, and often don't turn on a flashlight or light a torch. Although the smell of burning pine knots and turpentine is a bit of a rush....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe