WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

When we praise illness...

Old 07-27-2018, 03:16 PM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89
Default When we praise illness...

In my home town, the all-star radio host was fired last week.

Why?

Because he claimed transgendered people are like actors pretending to be something they're not.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia years ago. I believed I was the reincarnation of a historic figure.

What was the result?

I was prescribed medication.

It eliminated my delusions -- it ridded me of the belief that I was something that I am not.

But what happens to people who have the delusion that they're the opposite sex?

Aren't they revered, in our current social climate, as being "courageous"?

Rubbish!

Aren't these people like me -- sick, unless they take medication?

Think of the "cat woman".

You've heard of her, right?

She believes she's a cat.

But what's the difference between that and believing you're the opposite sex?

Nothing, in my opinion.

I feel for you, Wheeler! I hope your new radio show takes off!

You're welcome to discuss below...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Konan For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (07-28-2018), Nacia (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 04:25 PM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Because he claimed transgendered people are like actors pretending to be something they're not.
That is totally untrue in fact it is ignorant to even think this.
I am for those who believe they are half man and half woman. It is the natural way to be. To believe otherwise is incorrect.
IT is heatlhy and the way forward to feel we are both feminine and masculine. It is vital if life is to continue.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 07-27-2018 at 04:28 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Nacia For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 04:57 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

I take the middle ground. Nacia's dismissal of your comment is incorrect. A mental illness is anything that causes someone distress. As a result Nacia has chosen a very tight definition that suits a particular political stance.

Unfortunately Konan, you have done the same thing. You have chosen a tight definition that you disprove disingenuously. The idea that a person who does not conform to your particular sensibilities are mentally ill is also untrue. The truth is that people are different and you should have some respect for their choices.

To be clear, sex is binary (apart from rare occasions), anyone who suggests otherwise is ignorant. There may be masculine women or feminine males on the outskirts, but that is not the norm. Do not deny science.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 07-27-2018 at 05:10 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chinspinner For This Useful Post:
anna (07-27-2018), Nacia (07-28-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 05:23 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

I agree with chinspinner. Furthermore (or to elaborate), most schizophrenics are or become psychotic. People with just gender dysphoria are not. Whether they choose to change their social identity, or have hormone therapy or surgery has no bearing on society as a whole. You may not like it, but I don’t like bananas, so I just don’t eat them.

The one solution I don’t agree with is sexual reassignment of children. I don’t think children’s brains are developed enough to make such decisions even though before puberty provides the best medical outcome for gender reassignment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
anna (07-27-2018), Chinspinner (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:23 PM
anna (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 115

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
I agree with chinspinner. Furthermore (or to elaborate), most schizophrenics are or become psychotic. People with just gender dysphoria are not. Whether they choose to change their social identity, or have hormone therapy or surgery has no bearing on society as a whole. You may not like it, but I don’t like bananas, so I just don’t eat them.

The one solution I don’t agree with is sexual reassignment of children. I don’t think children’s brains are developed enough to make such decisions even though before puberty provides the best medical outcome for gender reassignment.

yes, yes, indeed and this is a writing site and boy do we need a ‘word’ for young people to use as a descriptive, prescriptive (if you will) term of reference if they perceive themselves as unsure. Language is a powerful tool - we had this debate a while back I know ... allowing the physical or psychological tampering of young people wrt to gender dysphoria is a form of child abuse imo, Protect them - insulate them, give them a label, give them a relatable term, give them, give the human race time and space.

The terrible two’s
The teenager
The widow
The cougar
The pondering this whole boy - girl thing

Last edited by anna; 07-27-2018 at 11:51 PM..
Old 07-27-2018, 11:43 PM
anna (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 115

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
To be clear, sex is binary (apart from rare occasions), anyone who suggests otherwise is ignorant. There may be masculine women or feminine males on the outskirts, but that is not the norm. Do not deny science.
I’m wondering if the human race is undergoing rapid change to the point where masculine women and feminine males are central, which could be part of the confusion. Maybe I’ve got this all wrong, just thoughts.

The Following User Says Thank You to anna For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by anna View Post
I’m wondering if the human race is undergoing rapid change to the point where masculine women and feminine males are central, which could be part of the confusion. Maybe I’ve got this all wrong, just thoughts.

Only those that make the most noise
The Following User Says Thank You to Chinspinner For This Useful Post:
anna (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:38 AM
anna (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 115

Only those that make the most noise
societal pressures are immense, that sense of belong.

and young people make noise, that’s exactly what they do do and gender dysphoria isn’t in the same league as fourteen piercings and a joint by the river bank. It’s the ultimate rebellion.

You would sit round the kitchen table with a young person and reason - a spade is a spade - I would reason fine, this spade is a frilly fork if you wish it - whatever - shrugs - more tea?

Last edited by anna; 07-28-2018 at 12:40 AM..
Chinspinner (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 12:54 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

societal pressures are immense, that sense of belong.

and young people make noise, that’s exactly what they do do and gender dysphoria isn’t in the same league as fourteen piercings and a joint by the river bank. It’s the ultimate rebellion.

You would sit round the kitchen table with a young person and reason - a spade is a spade - I would reason fine, this spade is a frilly fork if you wish it - whatever - shrugs - more tea?
I couldn't agree more. Do whatever works for you. Don't expect me to lose sleep over it.
anna (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 02:13 AM
anna (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 115

I couldn't agree more. Do whatever works for you. Don't expect me to lose sleep over it.
... goodie, it’s all in the team work dude
Chinspinner (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 02:35 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

... goodie, it’s all in the team work dude
haha, the sarcasm is strong. I did not mean that to sound heartless, my general view is, as long as you do not harm others (or impose your opinions on them), then do what the hell you want. There should not be interference on either side of the debate (there should not be a debate). Why do I care if a man feels like a woman (is that a Shania Twain lyric?), it is none of my business or anyone else's.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 07-28-2018 at 02:46 AM..
Old 07-28-2018, 04:43 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 131

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

For the bigger picture, sometimes I think people just need to think harder about what is actually harmful to others and what isn't.

Then try to think about how you'd react if someone close to you was going through it; sibling, good friend, one of their children or your own child.

You have to get out of your own head to do it, and some people have a hard time with that. Of course, it doesn't provide all the answers, but it's a good starting point...
The Following User Says Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
Chinspinner (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 04:45 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
In my home town, the all-star radio host was fired last week.

Why?

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia years ago. I believed I was the reincarnation of a historic figure.

What was the result?

I was prescribed medication.

It eliminated my delusions -- it ridded me of the belief that I was something that I am not.

But what happens to people who have the delusion that they're the opposite sex?

Aren't they revered, in our current social climate, as being "courageous"?

Rubbish!

Aren't these people like me -- sick, unless they take medication?

Think of the "cat woman".

You've heard of her, right?

She believes she's a cat.

But what's the difference between that and believing you're the opposite sex?

Nothing, in my opinion.

I feel for you, Wheeler! I hope your new radio show takes off!

You're welcome to discuss below...
I should also address the original post. I have not heard of this fellah, so should not comment, but I will, please correct me if I am wrong.

His argument was that gender dysphoria is a medical condition? He is correct.

His argument was that people with gender dysphoria are faking it? I don't buy that, why would you purposefully make your life harder?

I imagine the facts of the case are this; he listened to 1% of the population on Twitter, who probably - by virtue of the fact they use Twitter- are wankers. He took this to heart. He knee-jerked.

Well, you are in a public position, grow the fuck up.

TLDR deserved it. Act like a professional.

This is all supposition, correct me if I am wrong.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:53 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 131

His argument was that people with gender dysphoria are faking it? I don't buy that, why would you purposefully make your life harder?
The thinking (right or wrong) is that it might be possible that people are seeking attention and approval (obviously, not from everyone), especially now when coming out is considered brave or heroic...
Chinspinner (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 04:56 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
The thinking (right or wrong) is that it might be possible that people are seeking attention and approval (obviously, not from everyone), especially now when coming out is considered brave or heroic...
I see that. In a far left media climate, I guess you escape a maligned group like straight white men, by entering a perceived minority. Ok I imagine that happens (but rarely, I hope). Oh, your other point was that you actually get applauded for difference these days, so it attracts narcissistic attention seekers, I am with you on that as well, but those people get found out fast.

Last edited by Chinspinner; 07-28-2018 at 05:06 AM..
E. Zamora (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:06 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 131

I see that. In a far left media climate, I guess you escape a maligned group like straight white men, by entering a perceived minority. Ok I imagine that happens (but rarely, I hope).
My concern would be young people, teens or even younger. They might be more susceptible because they can be unsure of themselves anyway and looking for attention and ways to fit in; all before they have a real appreciation for what it means long term. Then you've got parents and adults who seem to be crossing the line from cautious acceptance to encouragement. Not a good thing...
Chinspinner (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:10 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

My concern would be young people, teens or even younger. They might be more susceptible because they can be unsure of themselves anyway and looking for attention and ways to fit in; all before they have a real appreciation for what it means long term. Then you've got parents and adults who seem to be crossing the line from cautious acceptance to encouragement. Not a good thing...
When I was a child, I went through my sexual uncertainty- as I think many people do- I was unsure whether I liked or "wanted" my BFF. Turns out I am straight. But if I had been encouraged in that direction- who knows?

The argument from the other side would be "it doesn't matter", but it does if you interrupt someone's formative years and impose your own crap on them.
E. Zamora (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:19 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 131

When I was a child, I went through my sexual uncertainty- as I think many people do- I was unsure whether I liked or "wanted" my BFF. Turns out I am straight. But if I had been encouraged in that direction- who knows?

The argument from the other side would be "it doesn't matter", but it does if you interrupt someone's formative years and impose your own crap on them.
I think with a lot people, like this radio host and likely the OP, it's a kind of all or nothing thinking.

More like it's not harmful for some, but it might be for others. For whatever reason, they either can't or won't make the distinctions.

I suspect it has something to do with ego gratification, as in "I've got this figured out and everyone else is being duped." That doesn't really allow for any gray areas or nuanced thinking.
Chinspinner (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 05:22 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

I think with a lot people, like this radio host and likely the OP, it's a kind of all or nothing thinking.

More like it's not harmful for some, but it might be for others. For whatever reason, they either can't or won't make the distinctions.

I suspect it has something to do with ego gratification, as in "I've got this figured out and everyone else is being duped." That doesn't really allow for any gray areas or nuanced thinking.
As in so much of life these days
Old 07-28-2018, 07:58 AM
anna (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 115

haha, the sarcasm is strong. I did not mean that to sound heartless, my general view is, as long as you do not harm others (or impose your opinions on them), then do what the hell you want. There should not be interference on either side of the debate (there should not be a debate). Why do I care if a man feels like a woman (is that a Shania Twain lyric?), it is none of my business or anyone else's.
um, actually spinnychin sarcasm wasn’t implied although I grant you there are 50 ways to interpret someone’s virtual banter or interpret their world or leave your lover. So we agree, do no harm, no interference although that can become a tad challenging in the context of duty of care to the young as discussed above and now that adults are increasingly considered immature in healthcare settings up to the age of 25 it makes you wonder.

Honestly, in my minds eye I kinda had you round a table with me discussing the issue with some angsty teen and thought our combined response to be harmless but helpful, guided, nuanced then. There’s always debate, life is messy, shock of the new even yet benign neglect, no greater context or misguided dialogue has the potential to harm. I liked this ...

‘To be clear, sex is binary (apart from rare occasions), anyone who suggests otherwise is ignorant. There may be masculine women or feminine males on the outskirts, but that is not the norm. Do not deny science.’

Chinspinner (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:09 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

um, actually spinnychin sarcasm wasn’t implied although I grant you there are 50 ways to interpret someone’s virtual banter or interpret their world or leave your lover. So we agree, do no harm, no interference although that can become a tad challenging in the context of duty of care to the young as discussed above and now that adults are increasingly considered immature in healthcare settings up to the age of 25 it makes you wonder.

Honestly, in my minds eye I kinda had you round a table with me discussing the issue with some angsty teen and thought our combined response to be harmless but helpful, guided, nuanced then. There’s always debate, life is messy, shock of the new even yet benign neglect, no greater context or misguided dialogue has the potential to harm. I liked this ...

‘To be clear, sex is binary (apart from rare occasions), anyone who suggests otherwise is ignorant. There may be masculine women or feminine males on the outskirts, but that is not the norm. Do not deny science.’

haha, I assumed you were transexual, serious. You seemed to be very interested in the subject.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
anna (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 115

haha, I assumed you were transexual, serious. You seemed to be very interested in the subject.
nah, your imagination getting ahead of you there ... just really scary in my mind to start giving young people drug cocktails on whim and stuff, love ya
Old 07-28-2018, 08:51 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

nah, your imagination getting ahead of you there ... just really scary in my mind to start giving young people drug cocktails on whim and stuff, love ya
agreed.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 717

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
That is totally untrue in fact it is ignorant to even think this.
I am for those who believe they are half man and half woman. It is the natural way to be. To believe otherwise is incorrect.
IT is heatlhy and the way forward to feel we are both feminine and masculine. It is vital if life is to continue.

Very few people (as a percentage of the population) think that they are both male and female.

I disagree that a belief that someone thinking they are both male and female is healthy. It leads to a person being neither.

Yes, some are born with both sets of equipment, but it is so rare as to be a anomaly.

God (and things natural) has set separate roles for each sex. Sometimes one has to fulfill the role of the other but people function best when paired with a member of the opposite sex that is good in their role.

This proclivity towards transgenderism will lead to a longer trail of tears than Andy Jackson exposed the Cherokee and Choctaw to.......

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 07-28-2018, 11:08 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member

Thanks 67

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Very few people (as a percentage of the population) think that they are both male and female.

I disagree that a belief that someone thinking they are both male and female is healthy. It leads to a person being neither.

Yes, some are born with both sets of equipment, but it is so rare as to be a anomaly.

God (and things natural) has set separate roles for each sex. Sometimes one has to fulfill the role of the other but people function best when paired with a member of the opposite sex that is good in their role.

This proclivity towards transgenderism will lead to a longer trail of tears than Andy Jackson exposed the Cherokee and Choctaw to.......
haha Moho, better late than never
Old 07-31-2018, 12:46 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 450

I know a girl (recently turned 18) who has "come out" as transgender. I see it as a reaction to unresolved issues arising from sexual abuse by her mother's boyfriend before she was old enough to talk, compounded by feelings of abandonment and helplessness during her childhood, which have turned to resentment and rebellion.

I don't believe she actually thinks she's a boy - I think she has found support and a feeling of belonging in that community, and by joining she is giving the ultimate finger to those she felt oppressed her before.

Her foster parents and a church counselor read a book and diagnosed her with "borderline personality disorder" when she was fourteen or fifteen, and managed to find a doctor who prescribed her a cornucopia of heavy-duty psyche meds, mainly because she was caught kissing a boy, and slipped out at night a couple of times to run around with friends 'til the wee hours. Pretty normal behavior for a fourteen or fifteen year old girl, in my opinion.

She's been institutionalized for cutting, and they treat her like she's crazy, yet her social workers and psychologists encourage these transgender leanings.

It's as if they're saying, "We're putting you on meds for behaving like an ordinary girl, but we'll reward you for wanting to do the craziest thing imaginable, which is to hack up the most beautiful thing you have, capable of giving you so much pleasure, and replacing it with some fabricated monstrosity which in no way will make you feel like a man."
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
anna (07-31-2018), Mohican (08-03-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 01:57 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,113

There is an explosion in the number of rapid-onset gender dysphoria cases happening today. I have no problem with transgender people (adults) who choose to do what they want with their bodies, but something is odd about this trend. It feels like (to me) that there is a welcoming, an acceptance (by trans activists who mostly aren’t trans themselves), the offer of a support network, a loving, caring group of individuals who will fight for trans people no matter what, and I haven’t made up my mind, and would have to take them on a case by case basis to decide, but it seems like many of these young women (they are mostly women) are just in need of this kind of attention. I don’t mean that as a negative, “attention,” I mean they actually NEED that. They need that love, that acceptance. They didn’t get that as they should have somewhere along the line, and that’s sad. Some were abused, or neglected, or raised by people who weren’t capable (or willing) of the kind of effort it takes to raise a child properly.

My mother in law had borderline personality disorder and maybe bipolar disorder. She was a train-wreck of a woman. She was very very difficult to have any kind of relationship with. Most people eventually hated and avoided her.

Her siblings (six, all younger) called her “queeny” because she was so demanding of them. She had developed early and was very beautiful by age 12. Her drunkard grandfather thought so too, and systematically raped her for years. She was then beaten often by her mother for “enticing” men with her “charms.” It was HER fault. She married and divorced three times before she was 22. Most of the men she married belonged in prison (or should have been shot in the face), but in those days women couldn’t say anything to anyone about their husbands. Didn’t matter if they did.

She never told us these stories. We heard them from her sister after she died. Yeah, we heard that “Edgar was an asshole,” or “Tracey was a drunk,” but she kept the real stories in there somewhere, hidden.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:24 PM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 450

I think the girl I mentioned above sees being female as being weak and powerless, and yearns for the kind of control her mother's boyfriend, and later on, her domineering, judgmental foster dad had over her.

She's a strong-willed woman, but she was never taught how to use the power a woman has in a positive way.

She thinks the only way she can not be a victim is to be a man, and the group home she is in, and her State-supplied psychologists are encouraging it, because that's apparently the thing to do nowadays.

To suggest that there could be underlying trauma behind the belief that one is something one is not is to invite ridicule and derision, and can be seriously detrimental to one's livelihood, and security.
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table