WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

oh how I hate editing posts, so share with me then

Old 05-08-2011, 09:12 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

This was the craziest thing ever, mused the damsel. But finding him not where she usually found the goblin, she grew worried and looked him up. And found him here (And a lot of everywhere else). She had a lot of questions, but she couldn't ask him, not now, not here. She was just glad she'd found him. She'd talk later. Until then, she wished the goblin well.
"...and I am so pleased you found me now damsel..." replied the goblin somewhat amazed as he never linked links nor named names, adding "...no, I have nothing to hide but I always prefer to forget, recover, and move on, so here I am now, where I will do my level best to help anyone who wishes to write in posts, for that's all know, where perhaps that's all that I am too...", and with that the goblin's day was made, it's a wonderful forum he felt

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-08-2011 at 09:52 AM..
Old 05-08-2011, 09:23 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

the goblin felt that point of posting was to create an internet-self, a persona then, something which couldn't be done if one were known now, simply the voice in the goblin's mind seemed to go “...if you could be anyone, then who or what would you be I wonder....”, which then seemed to continue by saying “....well, since no one knows for sure who you are anyway, then why not become that persona now...”

Old 05-08-2011, 09:35 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

Goblin's lonely harts page:

dyslexic, hunted by ghosts, a mad muse, and an ever hungry slot, does not seek similar, if interested, you are not normal, contact:
http://www.thispagecannotbedisplayed.com/

my photo:

10 92 644

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-08-2011 at 09:53 AM..
Old 05-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,125

Hmm.... (reflecting on, not the last repost, but the one before with the fairy picture)

What does it say about those who have no "internet self" - the ones who are no more exotic or adventurous here than in reality? Does it show a lack of imagination? A compulsion for honesty? Dullness? Self assurance? I pondered your thought "if I could be anyone" and concluded I was happy to be me - but would prefer to be me in more favourable circumstances - the same self with an enriched life. But then I thought, that probably isn't possible. Being the authentic me has attracted or created all the circumstances that I long to change or improve. I have written my own 'life script' thus far to the best of my ability. Therefore, the only way this script could be far superior would be if somebody else entirely had written it. Is there any point following the maxim "Be true to one's self" if one's self has a track record of incompetence? So, would an "internet persona" just provide me with light relief and harmless escapism from the failings of my natural condition - or act as conduit between who I really am and who I want to be? If I called myself 'Eagle Warrior', would I fight my battles with renewed vigour and start to soar? Or would I just hide the frailties of my authentic self behind a smoke screen? Would I be less vulnerable because I was powerful, or would I just feel less vulnerable because I was anonymous?
fleamailman (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 09:27 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...how beautifully you write your thoughts Grace..." mentioned the goblin, who too, could be the man in the mirror whenever he wish to, yes, bringing in all those externals, but then everything would just date, all would age, and people would simply see one in terms of one's externals then...", more simply it was ever that choice of being an an ageless faceless peter pan here, or extending that wendy of one's dailylife to here then, so the goblin just reiterated something, saying "...no, I will never be anything but anonymous now, so mudusa can set authors in her published stone if they so wish that for themselves, but not me, no my choice is made...")

repost from elsewhere

the goblin was feeling better, but he understood that life, as one gets older, shuns the elderly for being old, ugly, or whatever, but the goblin knew too, that it was "all up to him now", in that, if he had to become someone old, that is, treated like some iceberg in the eyes of others, then like that iceberg then, only one fifth of him would remain visible as in his dailylife where that other four fifths of him would be submerged in this internet as something far more than either that man in the mirror, or any other of those real-life fettering categorizations could offer, so he simply repeated "...you and I are what we create here, and my internet-self, my persona then, is going to be amazingly deep and real, promise, or I will die trying, no, let's make it both of those aims then, for this my journey to self here, but it is also my journey to death too..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-09-2011 at 05:19 AM..
Old 05-08-2011, 09:39 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

"...hi everyone, yes sorry, still squatting on the thread here..." said the goblin who was taking a break by visiting his old folks over the weekend in england, something the goblin did often enough always remembering to gently shout at the top of one voice, slam the door when entering the room and risk of being slowly drowned in tea and lemon cake, "...more tea..." comes the voice from downstairs followed by a the ghost in the silence that seems to still say "...and have you done your homework, had your bath, and brushed your teeth yet..."

Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

to the goblin there was only one score that mattered, that of have I caught it with my pen then, in fact, it was just his way of fishing for thoughts, and as if to underline it, the late bistro played good music to a full house of lively chatting drinkers, while one lone figure sat in the corner typing away, looking up and then typing away again before finally posting something to forumland, so, simply either he was "here albeit detached" or "there albeit attached", something he called a shared life, though most people would call it a writer's distraction then, or worse, simply daydreaming as ever

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-09-2011 at 09:35 AM..
Old 05-09-2011, 09:38 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere, another "last post" thread

dawn after last night's posting party finds the goblin sweeping away the previous posts with the words like "...I was someone else then..." while outside somewhere, in the looming now, the city wakes to a clear cold sun that pitilessly shines over the arena of exploitation and profitmaking as the goblin, his weapons ever ready, shouts to the mass of ever eager onlookers "...all hail to the moneygod, we who are about to work salute you now..."

2 97 726
Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,125

Hmm.....
When we all turn up in these rectangular boxes, we can come as nothing more than sentient energy. Sentience without form is surely just another way to describe the soul? If one is talking from the soul, how could we fail to be anything other than "real"? So, Mr Goblin, when you talk of being "on the way to death" I would answer that in this place, perhaps, we've already arrived?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:17 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...nicely put grace, and I certainly feed well on your input, but my logic tells me that I am not here either, in that these are mere words that represent me now, they are the mask of where a mind has passed behind them, where a soul too, if one can call it one, is reflected in its nature..." replied the goblin, continuing "...so I walk in posts on a journey to self across forumland then, where perhaps too I don't know which steps I will take, nor which footprints they will leave behind, only that if I don't post, I won't know who I was by what I posted...", but the goblin was lying, really he just liked the depth of thought that came with facing the slot as a constant in his life, where there was never really any reason for habit now)

repost from elsewhere

"...other americans, wackos, fruit and nuts, and nut and blots..." and yet the goblin was not quite sure if that really was, in fact, what the pope was actually saying in latin while making a cross hand-sign each time he visited america, surely it would just be easier to look at the map of north america rather than trying to remember his barrings that way, but perhaps the goblin was missing something now, that is, while wishing everyone a happy easter

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-10-2011 at 10:14 AM..
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

the goblin, that practiced practitioner of poverty, has slowly learned through his life that poverty helps us cede the superfluous, in that any money the goblin earns went straight on his family's needs or got saved for the family's needs later, the goblin was almost amazed by the little he himself actually needed to be happy, just everything the rich did, seems either to be too much effort, or too much responsibility for him

11 100 766

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-09-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

"... well. I guess I can't really keep track of my posts, but at least I can repost some of those posts on another site like here in a neater order..." answered the goblin looked across at the plume of smoke ushered sideways in the breeze, the day was beautifully bright and inviting, yes it was that, but it was that for a wrong reason the goblin felt, as a ghastly cold awaited anyone reckless enough to go out to the bistro on this very early morning, and yet again the goblin's choice, he surmised, was a stark one, either "stay home and get roped into a series of household chores by the captain" or "swim it through the bitter cold to the bistro where he could still be called back by telephone" so, as always, the goblin's mind made a quick checklist of "probable chores" against another list of "possible excuses" while wondered if running a bath would stir the antagonists from their beds on this "Sunday lie-in", somehow the bath would be a deep one he knew

Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere, a womens interest's "last post" thread

slot in the next room starts playing the piano, "...you must remember this, a kiss is but a kiss, a sigh is but..., ..." the goblin rushes in "slot, I thought I told you never to..., ...", "...hello goblin..." she interrupts him, amazed, moved, he looks at her until he could say "...hay kid, of all the "last posts" threads on forumland, and would have to chose mine...", Grace Grabiel flicks her hair back, smiles and says softly "...goblin.." she paused and then restarted "... goblin I really need your help this time, I want to get my grocery cart back..."

10 782 103

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-10-2011 at 09:14 AM..
Old 05-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Nadja

Nice still, although I think 'Casablanca' is a wee bit over-rated.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

(the goblin thanks Nadja for her post, saying "...even so the film was unforgettable, and was one of his best...")

repost from elsewhere

a sunny sunday and the goblin, feeling guilty that he has spent all day on his computer at home, goes out in the spirit of addressing the problem, turns two corners and walks into the nearest bistro where he connects up his laptop to the WIFI again, he can almost feel himself utter "...hi honey I'm home..."

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-10-2011 at 10:16 AM..
Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,125

(On the Casablanca repost)

"But enough of shopping carts for now" Grace declared, waving her hand dismissively, piano-playing fingers fluttering farewell to the subject. "Goblin" she said huskily (not with emotion you understand - she was a Benson & Hedges girl - the vocal lovechild of Elkie Brookes and Rod Stewart.) "I need to ask you something important. So. Pull up a toadstool and take the weight off hmm?"

Grace felt hot in her cream chiffon headscarf, and cursed inwardly for not taking her curlers out before she left home. Goblin obediently performed a strange sideways shuffle and perched in gargoyle pose next to her on the piano stool. Grace put her hand beneath his chins and lifted his aubergine-shaped head to meet her gaze.
"Wise Goblin", she whispered, "Talk to me of drag and drop. Unlock the mystery that is my torture".
Goblin blinked, blanched then blanked.
"The text boxes" Grace elaborated, "Goblin, how do I highlight text in a post to insert it for reference in the reply box?" Her eyes were pleading for enlightenment.
Goblin grinned, master of his own universe again.
"Ah ha" said the Goblin, holding up a picture of a Meerkat in a Viking's helmet riding a tortoise, "You see?".
Grace coloured, feeling foolish for not understanding the great wisdom Goblin's picture imparted. She shook her head sadly.
"I don't understand", she whispered.
Goblin fished again in the capacious pocket of his grubby raincoat and produced another picture. He held it aloft. A Koi Carp smoking a cigar and exhaling a cloud of spiralling feet under the canopy of a burning Sycamore tree.
"Of course!" yelled Grace, at last comprehending fully the simplicity within the complexity, "How obtuse of me! You are indeed a wise Goblin".
She kissed his snout in gratitude. An innocent kiss. The smackeroo of a jubilant child. She lit a cigarette, sucking in the toxins like a diver surfacing for air, and left Goblin to look for her shopping cart.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...now I will befriend you more than ever..." replied the goblin upon seeing that grace had spoke to him and now joined in his madness, continuing "...all bbs code is basically set in two pairs of square brackets placed one pair before and one after one's text, now, within those square brackets is the command line, for example quote or img or flash, etc., with one important last point, to turn off the command the froward backslash is used within the ending pair of square brackets, so I am going to give you the final complete line here but using round brackets instead of square ones, (quote) the highlighted text goes here (/quote)...", where the goblin also thought it prudent to link a bbs code list, advising "...not all servers are the same so these commands might or might not be the same on this forum...")

http://www.phpbb.com/community/faq.php?mode=bbcode

repost from elsewhere

"...no post is pointless as each post is a point along the thread, no thread is pointless as each thread is a chapter in one's life, and life isn't pointless as each happening is a chance to make a post again..." said the goblin somehow seeing a treadmill that his own logic had created

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-10-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere, a moment in the past

the email reads that the goblin's old mother might not be able to swallow, the goblin understood that the family would bulk at having her force fed with tubes, so the goblin replied to his father typing "...I know we hope that we haven't yet reached that point but, as always, simply I go along in supporting any decision you take or plans you make, also I think going naturally "without distress" is what my mother would have wanted if one was talking to her before this illness took her reason away from her, so I imagine there isn't anyone who wouldn't wish to go out in dignity so your decision for her would be once more the correct one for her here I feel..." and with that the goblin had to choose another postcard to write to his mother again as she would like to see pictures of the mountains, while dad, when he received it, would then read it to her if she was awake but what was written on the postcard didn't matter, only that she would feel that something nice had happened, the postcard seemed another slot asking for feeding "...so slot shall we tell her of the flowers in bloom, of the blue sky and of the breeze that floats the clouds across the alps today..." "...goblin, let me swallow for her then..." said the slot now in a whisper

11 107 812

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-10-2011 at 09:55 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,125

I'm so sorry. Very difficult times.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:58 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...nah, they're reposts, just editing away, where they're true enough perhaps but not now, or perhaps the fact of being here means they're always now now..." replied the goblin very much thanking grace for the sentiment though, adding "...btw a blog entry can be long, but a post risks going unread if it is, so the compromise is how to make a post look small but still have enough to it to merit its posting...")

repost from elsewhere, just sharing now

well, if the goblin was still alive that is, he had some idea of how he would be in thirty years time, yet he had no idea of what amazing things he could create, nor come across too, if he just kept on facing the slot like this, explaining "...you see perhaps one's outer world slowly crumbles away while ones inner world forms, but it seems one has to creates the inner one lest one ends up with neither..."

Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere, on posting

"...ah now, one only really wins here when one is truly empty inside..." said the goblin, continuing "...otherwise the slot just laughs and follows you around simply waiting upon one's return...", somehow, for the goblin at least, "winning" was merely going to the point where he felt he had used up all his ideas again, "...yes, that's my breaking point I suppose..." remarked the goblin now, "...well goblin, are you broke yet, or is there still more in you..." asked the slot inquisitively, and what cunning creatures these slots actually were

9 110 841

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-11-2011 at 03:08 AM..
Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

"...great, so on the internet I am anonymous, whereas in real life I am invisible..." voiced the goblin in the late hour before his bath and bed, outside the fallen rain had cooled the sleeping city of geneva into it's dark sparkling droning silence like night's embers to the day's fire, "...so what justification is needed to post here beyond the wish to know what I can post pure and simple..." asked the goblin of himself

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-11-2011 at 10:56 AM..
Old 05-11-2011, 11:07 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

and with that the goblin just explained it, saying"...this thread is a book of sorts, and yes there are millions of real books out there, and almost every one of them was better than this one, but they all had one thing in common, they were all dead and published whereas here, where one is both reader and writer now, posters just get woven into these pages...", the goblin then smiled looking at the slot again, "...take that journey to self goblin, while you still can that is..." it seemed to be saying each time, adding "...goblin, dailylife and that moneygod will just leave you feeling empty and cheap, so who are you really then, don't you want to know who you are by what you post, so make each post count now, write in the post itself, and become a livewriter while there's still time..."

11 112 866

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-11-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

the goblin remembered kipling's son, and how in the great war the son had used a pseudonym to hide that he was the famous author's son, and then when he died he was buried along with the other soldiers while his father spent his whole life trying to find out what happened, only to die without the answer, and then years later, the record turned up the exact grave of kipling's son completing the tragic story, "...now, had the son lived, or if the father had found the record, there would be no tragedy here, tragedy needs the sense of injustice to be tragic then..." ventured the goblin at it

Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

"...give us a kiss lov...", last but not least the goblin, who thanked everyone for their words, who had then replied to the parrot "...not until you clean your teeth then..." as it munched on those now somewhat "finger flavored" crisps the goblin had offered this parrot in his error, but the parrot just repeated again "...give us a kiss lov...", so perhaps visiting the supermarket's pet-shop this afternoon had been one of life's little lessons thought the goblin who could now see clearly why computers were in binary, and why most school teachers typed with two fingers "...parrot, they've come across you before I guess, haven't they..." the goblin said as the parrot turned its small head a little sideways in that "fancy another round of knuckles goblin" look they always have when they're hungry, the goblin couldn't resist, somehow some of his fingers were worth the fun of feeding this parrot "... o how you're like feeding this slot here then my dear parrot..." he ventured at it

12 114 874

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-11-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Old 05-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Nadja

Talking about Kipling and the Great War, have you read his short story 'The Gardner'? Very poignant.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:02 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...no I haven't, but I will now..." replied the goblin, thanking Nadja for her tip, adding "...well, if it is short that is...", while outside the view from the window was damp descending evening of muffled silence and odd shafts of sunbeams, in fact, the goblin appreciated the cleanness of it all, that is a hot and dusty day that had now broken itself upon a vengeful passing shower, lamenting "...ah but pen never does justice to the beauty of it...")

repost from elsewhere

the goblin saw it clearly now, that he had to bow to the pressure of his oncoming old age, as slowly an unwelcome moderation to his lifestyle was being forced upon him, the goblin observed too, how he had struck compromise after compromise between some prison like need for self preservation, and some wish for at least some reckless behavior, simply the goblin lamented the truth here, saying "...how those consequences kill that dashful spirit in us all, where my youth was a folly of "no tomorrow" then..." but the goblin compromises now, he surrenders to his growing old age within his dailylife, "...ah yes, but there will be no such surrender on this forumland..." voiced the goblin in a firm promise

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-12-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Old 05-12-2011, 10:19 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

repost from elsewhere

the idea perhaps was “wearing the specs of the site”, but it wasn't so much that the goblin compromised, or changed himself to fit into style of the site so much as the site itself changed him and his view of his posting to it, “...simply, I slowly become more like those sites that I am active on, that's all...", where the opposite would be some insensitive troll who never changed under the forum/venue, concluding "...so wearing the specs is an important consideration in choosing one's forum/venue then..."

12 117 890

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-12-2011 at 10:22 AM..
Old 05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
Nadja

that pic is freaky!!
Old 05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,008

("...that's a picture by salvador dali probably, but not sure..." replied the goblin)

repost from elsewhere a sports forum's "last post" thread

the goblin was inclined to agree with the last poster saying "...yes until you lot fell into your bad sports ways you could have been proper left wing intellectual student rebels, in some revolutionary bohemian bistro, espousing the wonders of karl marx and communal lovemaking, with cigarette smoke, coffee, poetry and all..." lamented the goblin at their wasted lives now

9 119 906

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-12-2011 at 02:06 PM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe