WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

oh how I hate editing posts, so share with me then

Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I have had a crap day sorting finance out so to cheer me up:

Old 05-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168
Send a message via Yahoo to Dela Eden

To cheer you up:
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dela Eden For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (05-31-2011)
Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...and this is how it starts..." mentioned the goblin pleased with the progress, adding "...I'm down with a cold tonight but tomorrow I'll be back in force...")

repost from elsewhere

it seemed that whenever the goblin opened his eyes he became wendy, but when he closed his eyes he became peter pan, and then he laughed aloud at himself saying "...um, on second thoughts, I think I'll go through life with my eyes half open then..."

18 332 2655

Last edited by fleamailman; 05-31-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Old 05-31-2011, 02:02 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

repost from elsewhere

"...if, in my life, I manage just one perfect post, honestly just one and once too, and really know it as such, then all the other posts, no matter however good or bad they were, throughout my whole posting life until that moment, would have been both worth it and irrelevant in the same breath..." ventured the anonymous goblin once more, whose goal remained ever unchanged, he repeated "...so I fight my old age here by trying to create that one perfect post now...", but the goblin also knew, that perfect was impossible, not that that fact changed anything in his view, for what choice was there really, none now for he would become that post yet

Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

So. Five o clock in the morning then. The voice in my head has been a nagging harpy issuing the relentless instruction "Go to sleep. Early start tomorrow". The more compelling her arguement, the more alert I became.

An owl has kept me company, with the breathy notes of a panpipe. A fox dry-coughed its way through the early hours. Curtain up on the dawn chorus just after four. A single, sweet melodic call gave way to a roaring crescendo of lung-bursting jubilation and tree top chatter. The hedgerows squeaking and chirping like bedsprings. So, I gave up. I defied the harpy, and poured myself a tankard-sized mug of rich tar coffee. I sneaked a sacred gasper from behind the carriage clock and savoured its decadence. I splashed my sleepless eyes with water as cold as glass splinters. Pedantic witch that I am - I'm ready to sleep now. I look out at a sepia photograph of a cottage garden, and bid the morning a hearty goodnight.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...nice vivid fluid post indeed..." went the goblin, feeling that his dry cold had given him a certain parallel to swiss chocolate this morning, save that is wasn't actually chocolate perhaps as he left off the details and turned his hangover like head towards the topic in hand, saying "...and now Grace the fun bit starts, keep an eye out for any picture that matches one of your previous posts, for pictures will talk to you now...")

repost from elsewhere, goblin doing the welcome on someone's introduction thread

"...welcome earthling..." said the goblin "...this forum is meant for both normal people and for those have moved beyond from that point, though which you choose to be here only depends on what you want from the Internet in return, normal people only have normalcy but you want more I guess, and here you shall have it..."

18 335 2692
Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

'Hi goblin' The girl whispered for a minute. 'How are you?' She pulled up a chair, and sat down, whilst handing the goblin a packet of biscuits. 'Want one?'

'I'm creating a scrapbook for each of the novels I wrote.' She continued. 'And loads of the pictures on this thread have found their way into it.' She stopped for a minute, and ate a biscuit herself. 'Thanks.' She dances dreamlike out of the door.
The primary purpose of writing fiction, and then publishing what you have written, is not merely to show off … but to entertain the first and second reader, the first reader being you and the second reader being every other person who ever comes alone to what you have written — George V. Higgins
You know you want to -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

Ooooh. I like those biscwits Dela!! Come back !
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

The girl comes back for a minute.
'Here.' She says.
You know you want to -
Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

Spill the biscwits and spill the news Dela! How's your world today?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

'My day has been good so far today.' The girl replied. 'I'm getting my hair cut later today.' She smiled. 'And apparently 1960s clothes are coming back in fashion, which is great.' She beamed. 'At 15 I am still annoyed that I got landed with the noughties as my first full decade.'
You know you want to -
Old 06-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

"I'll swap you my decades for your youth happily" smiled Grace, who was fond of Dela, "for youth is indeed wasted on the young, and nostalgia is small compensation for the old". Grace snaffled a few more crunchy cookies, pleased that Dela was so buoyant and chirpy today. "Don't spoil that beautiful face of yours by being sad", Grace said with a hug. "You're a bright star Dela. Go shine".
Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Dela smiled, strangely happy. 'This is weird.' She said. 'I'm not used to being so happy.' And she takes the decades in return for the youth. She also passes some cake.
You know you want to -
Old 06-01-2011, 03:19 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...I'm happy too..." went the goblin momentarily forgetting his sore throat for the well fed mind, adding "...ok, at its simplest level one is going to need a photobucket album, because often the picture needs to be resized for the post, or one could be it imageshack then, or there are many other picture hosts now...", in fact, the goblin felt rather like the damp windy view form the window today now, simply nothing in the view spelled June to him, for the thick heavy cloud hanging a little above the city seemed unbudged by the wind till one looked more closely and noticed that individually each bit of cloud was rushing passed in fact, just that the total effect was one of a constant cover to a blustering wet wind, "...yes the outside reflect the inside today, and for a change of air I will go out in this later, where on days like this I feel older than my years, geneva look defiant, a stroll in defiance then...")

repost form elsewhere, the goblin's introduction on the goth's forum

"...hi, I'm just your average everyday kind of goblin then..." said the goblin adding "...not really that much to say about me, not that I ever really know which "me" I am though, oh yes there's that "married working man with family me", and that "know a lot about computers me", but the "me", or at least the real "me" I am looking for remains ever elusive behind my dailylife and all that worship of the moneygod..."

18 343 2721
Old 06-01-2011, 03:29 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

For the Goblin
Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...ah, that's exactly what I would like to eat now..." replied the goblin, adding "...I love the input, you have much talent, and we have a long way to go yet...")

repost from elsewhere

and with that the goblin, ever thanking the posters for their posts, somehow knew that he would never "take form" on forumland saying "...for here alone the clock stops, the mirror is blinded, and one's imagination frees the spirit in a way that dailylife and the moneygod can only fume in envy at...", and where, pausing for coffee once more, the goblin, while writing this text out, had seen those images of munroe in "the misfits" appear, surely Grace was in that plot somewhere he felt, perhaps Grace was trying to stop the men from subduing the wild horse here

Last edited by fleamailman; 06-01-2011 at 03:45 AM..
Old 06-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Nadja

Gable in that one too?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...yes, there were a lot of good films in those days, "giants" "east of eden" etc., just as there were those made for morons films too..." mentioned the goblin now, adding "...most media tries to appeal to all tastes where often it is not the most the epic stuff which one remembers, no, often it's just the touching stuff that one remembers...")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DInM68YgcC4

Last edited by fleamailman; 06-01-2011 at 11:26 AM..
Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

repost from elsewhere

the goblin thanked everyone saying "...well, the point is that whatever happens, one tries to write about it, reflecting, forming ones own opinion then, so for me that is my challenge here, though it doesn't actually mean that I go on to post that opinion, no, only that it's formed, and has been addressed by one's reflection upon it...", the goblin then tried to put it differently by way of a quote then "the fear of seeming opinionated often makes one become unopionated", where equally, the goblin could simply "get by" by living on the surface as many people do, those who never write anything, nor reflect much that is, so he just said "...and they're probably right to do so, as no one can win this game, its futility is obvious then, for it, like ones life too, is merely built on an assumption that all is forever winnable, where any post, and any day for that matter, could well be one's last now, ah but if one knows that, that one can't win forever that is, does one either "post on" or "give up" now...", the goblin's posts was merely proof that he was still winning the unwinnable

19 348 2762
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 61

("Ah... perhaps..." the salient observer said whilst still remaining hidden behind the shadows that shielded him, "perhaps, though I'm not sure yet, perhaps... the Goblin's ultimate goal after all of this is... WORLD DOMINATION! Yes! Indeed! That can be the only logical explanation!! After all this posting the Goblin would've finally succeeded in brainwashing the weak minded denizens of the internet into believing that he was some sort of God amongst the mortals by posting relentlessly and showing to the world that he, and only he, who could according to some previous posts also be a she, is the one and only person's whose voice must be heard." The observer observed this and decided that he must be the one to warn the others. He set out on his arduous task immediately. The world must know the truth! It's not too late as of yet.)
fleamailman (06-02-2011)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

'Poppy field out back.' The girl said. 'They're my favourite flowers. Have been since I got back from the WWI battlefields in Belgium.'

I've entered this into the local photo of the week competition. I won't win.
You know you want to -
Old 06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

(and with that the goblin welcomed the salient observer back to the land of insomnia, saying "...missed you actually, whereas if you had been normal I wouldn't have I imagine, nor noticed even, but no world domination sounds like responsibility big time, nah, not for me, let's just settle for world recognition of my anonymity instead now, I mean becoming a known unknown sounds cool to me...")

repost from elsewhere

the masked ball continued, “...give me a picture and I will give you a post...” called the goblin across the audience adding “...you will test me and I will reward you...”, the goblin felt the spur of the audience kick hard into him now, he needed them he knew, “...come now, to post is to publish, and to publish is to die, that's all...” but that was the goblin for you, simply he preferred to live in some “last post” thread as a live goblin, rather than in some book as a dead one,

19 351 2786

Last edited by fleamailman; 06-01-2011 at 01:13 PM..
Old 06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
urntme (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 61

@ Dela: Can't see the photo.

@ Flea: (Ah... but normalcy is for the normally insane, and I'm not. Therefore the confusion.)
Old 06-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,269

So. Grace turned Goblin's words over in her mind, much in the way she turns over seashells in her hand.

"I have a virtual home", she answered him, "and a real one". Her eyes swept across the eclectic clutter of her cosy nest, then returned to the stark, grey rectangle flickering before her on the screen. "But there's an alchemy here" she concluded. Her words were starting to furnish the virtual with her real life - and her real life had embraced the virtual, and drawn those characters out of the screen to join her on the sofa. Stroll with her on the beach.

Her mind wandered to a memory of moving into this cottage so many years ago. Had it not been a stark, empty box too? Grace swirled the contents of her coffee cup gently. She decided whatever vessel she poured herself into, however many times she transposed herself from one space to another - she would always be the same.

So. Another dawn found her sleepless for the second time in so many days. Grace flung open the patio doors to the garden. Fresh air poured in with a spearmint bite, and the bird symphony engulfed her. She sat on the step, stretching her nightshirt taut over cold knees. The birds sang on - an endless, pointless but pretty refrain.

"That's us Goblin", she pointed, as if he were huddled with her on the step. "You're the blackbird singing out your soul from the top of that tree" she told him "and I'm the lark that answers you with a different tune".

Last edited by Grace Gabriel; 06-02-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Old 06-01-2011, 09:35 PM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...nicely put Grace, and true too..." replied the goblin, who knew that Dela Eden was talking about her avatar photo then, but the goblin's mind went back to Grace's words, saying "...so, an association it is then, one without rules but recognizable all the same...", in fact, the goblin had been here before, it was like someone was teaching their child to wave at the passing train, where some people instinctively wave back from within that train now if only because they too had been like that child once, so perhaps livewriting is just learning how to wave and the passing internet here...")

repost from elsewhere

being anonymous the number of posts to the goblin mattered nothing, only the fact that in this moment the goblin had posted against the part of him that always seemed to says "why bother.", to which found himself repeating something to himself, saying "...ok, time's snow will cover my tracts perhaps, but who cares as I still like that compacting sound it makes under my boots as I travel down this thread with you..."

17 354 2807

Last edited by fleamailman; 06-01-2011 at 09:45 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

I'll try again.
Here's the link to the album:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=d0fd6c74c9
You know you want to -
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...looks good..." went the goblin now, adding "...ah but poppies have sad connotations too, so have you written about what it means to you...")

repost from elsewhere, the "post your picture" thread

"...here's my photo then, it's a bit old but I haven't changed much..." said the goblin

http://wackyanne.tripod.com/library/xlgoblin.htm
Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

repost from elsewhere, where the goblin had cut his loses and turned off notifications

the goblin understood that he makes a mark of caine on himself whenever he fights those people that don't like his way of posting or him either, so he just restarts elsewhere and then tries even harder to create his posts where he is accepted, saying “...perhaps one reads and replies for others now, but after that one posts for oneself to know oneself, or else what's the point where one in anonymous to begin with, and where honesty, a shared life, and a thick skin is all that one has now, and all that one will ever have too...”

Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Dela Eden (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 168

Yes, they've been my favourite since I went to Belgium two years ago. She says. I saw them in Berlin too, on the floor of Sachsenhausen concentration camp's gas chambers. Here's the article I wrote on it and the picture I took of it for a French website.

http://lycees.ac-rouen.fr/malraux/re...senhausen.html
You know you want to -
The Following User Says Thank You to Dela Eden For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 AM
fleamailman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 4,088

("...well, I'm glad I asked seeing how well you have portrayed it..." mentioned the goblin who had stuff relating that would be posted here over the coming months, but today his cold just continued a pace)

repost from elsewhere

the goblin understood, that just being with other people meant compromise, so, while he was with them, he settled for that adjective "happy" to go with each festival in turn, that is, with them happy halloween, or happy thanksgiving, christmas, or easter then, and yet, when the goblin was alone by himself he wanted something deeper where halloween actually meant "goodbye", or thanksgiving meant "gratitude", or christmas meant "giving on" and easter meant "arrival", explaining "...yes, finding depth is what my life is really about, and although I live in dailylife, I feel I should reach beyond its surface, where perhaps these seasonal rituals are tools, so to speak, to help one gain depth then..."

19 359 2846

Last edited by fleamailman; 06-02-2011 at 05:37 AM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe