WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics

Character Clinics Come and discover new things about your characters

Jaxon Elliot Tupelo

Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403
Default Jaxon Elliot Tupelo

Jaxon Tupelo

My name is Jaxon Elliot Tupelo.

I was born in Cameron Parish, Louisiana.

I left with my mother and her new husband, who was an oil field worker just before I turned ten.
What I remember most about the place is my grandfather and our fishing trips to Dyson Bayou, and sometimes Mud Lake looking for a good catch of mudbugs.

My new step father, Juan Frette took us away to New Orleans for a while and then to; Panama, The Canal Zone for a year; from there we went to the oil fields of Russia for the next six years. Mom and I were in one place but Dad, he was a good dad, spent time in the fields themselves. He was home often and as I remember, he and Mom were happy; I got a sister, Arlene Marley Frette. She’s twelve years younger than me.

The people in the camp where we lived were also oil workers and I was forced to relate, The Galatittes were French and I liked their son, Michael, he didn’t speak English but I spoke some of what some say is French based, but I found out quick that it’s just Cajun. We had a very good time in the cold and snow as I learned real French and tried to teach him some English.

My dad used to have some of his friends over and they speak mostly Spanish. Mom learned a lot of it and so did I, because when Dad gets excited – well you best speak Spanish because he’s going to. We can hold our own in a Spanish conversation.

My sister, Marley, when she started to talk it was very strange, Spanish and French, with a few Cajun words tossed in just for confusion. My mom sometimes goes into Cajun when she is yelling at Dad who is often screaming in Spanish. They usually stop and laugh before they say they’re sorry about whatever the fight was about.

Marley has a playmate who is Russian and she has an older sister Ivana. She and I were tight for about three years, I speak very good Russian.

When I turned eighteen and finished my senior year at the camp school I went to college and studied engineering at SPSU, got a guess, it’s St. Petersburg State University, in Russia. It was a tough haul trying to learn to write correctly in Russian.

I will add that St. Petersburg has a wild, above and underground night life that has to be experienced to be believed.

After college I was lost. I decided to pursue a master’s degree and was accepted by Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). That’s where I met Terri Lo from South Korea.

We became involved, she became pregnant, we married, I needed a job fast. Fast jobs just don’t happen in the engineering world, it takes time, time I didn’t have. The economy was in a slump, some say a depression and…

I tried to join the Army and found out to join as an officer also took time. I enlisted as a private, but at least I would have medical care and a small steady income for my new family.
The next thing I found out was I would never have a security clearance because I had traveled all over the world and married a woman of Korean descent who still had close family in Korea. It really limited my job options and I was twenty-five in a world of nineteen year olds. The physical training was difficult to say the least.

After basic training things got better. I was accepted into the officer program and sent to Korea, Terri went with me. I was assigned as a services officer.

I serve at a listening post because of my language skills and I am lost because officially I still don’t have a security clearance. I handle secret and top secret material all the time.

I enjoyed the military and once again began to travel as I changed bases with Terri and our five daughters, Elizabeth, Kallie, Zoey, Lea, and Ellen. Terri insisted on trying one more time to give me a son.

I retired as a major after twenty years and once again looked for work to send our two oldest to college, and somehow try to raise our three youngest sixteen, fourteen, and twelve year old daughters; Along with our six year old son, Jaxon Elliot Tupelo Jr.

That’s what brings us to where I am; Georgia, Atlanta Georgia, United States not Russia. We plan to live in one of the outlying areas.

I have just accepted the job of assistant Police Chief; they weren’t looking for a cop but an administrator with a heavy computer background. I had the education, computer background and enough security experience; they had the right amount of money and here I am. My wife is reserving judgment and my daughters are horrified at living in a large city in the states. J J wants me to teach him to fish. I don’t know if I remember how.

other info

Jaxon is six foot and ˝ inch, he normally wears black loafers they add about an inch to his height.
He has a stocky build and it’s clear that at one time he lived in the gym. Today he is not as well toned but still looks very formidable even though he has a slight belly hanging over his belt when he sits. He has dish water blond or very light brown hair worn in a longer ‘establishment’ style. He’s forty-three years old.

what have I missed????????????

Last edited by max crash; 12-09-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Old 12-09-2014, 12:29 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 342

Have you thought about the possibility of him going into the the Air Force instead of the army? With his technical prowess it would be easy for him. Plus Marietta is a good family based city around Atlanta. Or there is an Air Force base in Warner Robbins if you go that route.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:06 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

the Air Force was my first choice as I am retired Air Force. But there is a problem with his background and ability to get a security clearance.
and he could have become a services officer in the Air Force, but listening post which I wanted to enhance his language skills is mostly Army. and there are a lot more Army in South Korea than Air Force.

yes I would have preferred Air Force, but I didn't think I could make it fly. ha no pun intended. I just picked from the map for a family location, I'll look at Marietta

Max
Old 12-09-2014, 01:21 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 403

I just took a quick look and I think I'm going to make him Air Force, some how, and Marietta is 70k people and I think a city that size could pay an assistant chief. The Air Force base close is just an extra.
the size of the town I thought a problem and so I picked a large town but didn't like the idea, I was going to have him just operate in a smaller area, but it think this will be better.

thanks for the heads up.

I guess that's another point, at this point in the writing you can make changes without causing to much trouble.

Max
Old 12-10-2014, 03:49 AM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 342

I spent some time is georgia, and when you said small town it brought up one in my mind. There's a town about an hour north of Atlanta called Rabun. It's in the mountains near the South Carolina border. I'm not sure about the state of the police force, but park rangers are in use. Don't know if that applies. I was just thinking about his time in Russia and the cold. On top of that speaking of his Korean friend- off of Buford highway near Lithonia is a place called H-Mart. It is essentially the asian Walmart. Everything asian can be purchased there.
max crash (12-10-2014)

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Character Clinics