WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Travel Writing - Methodological Problem - ideas, suggestions, thoughts welcomed

Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Ricardo Ribeiro (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Default Travel Writing - Methodological Problem - ideas, suggestions, thoughts welcomed

Dear Community,

I am in the process of writing my first book, but I am struggling with some hard decisions regarding its structure. As a fairly seasoned traveler I wanted to share my knowledge and my experience, with a strong emphasis on the human aspects. Most of the focus goes to the people I met along my odysseys. Anyway, this is what has been ruining my sleep: I do travel since 2005. Intensively. Every year I do an average of 4 or 5 trips. That's a lot of memories, traveling journals, stories to tell. Now... how shall I present this on paper? I have a few options but to be honest I find none of them satisfactory. Let's see:

1) I do select the best moments and I just tell them, basically with no connection between them.

2) I do write a huge book, around 600 pages. Not really a good idea huh?

3) I write a few different volumes. A bit boring for a potential reader. Besides, I don't know if I can wait all the time needed for this.

4) I synthesize a LOT. I think it's too much. Perhaps the high amount of stuff which will be left behind makes this a bad idea too.

I just don't know how to solve this dilemma and come out happy. Any ideas, suggestions or thoughts on this are extremely welcomed.

Ricardo

P.S. - Please consider that I will be writing for a small market - the Portuguese market, so any decision must take this in consideration.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
Mutawintji (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 28

Have you written anything yet ?

1) I do select the best moments and I just tell them, basically with no connection between them.

The above is the one I would select .... Write about a single event and get your friends, peers, children to read it .... If they read it to the end without pausing ... Sit down and start writing more.

If they read a few pages and then start picking their nose, cutting their toenails ... pick another option.

Good luck ... I am sure once you start the actual process of writing your choice will be made for you ...

cool bananas ... Greg

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues