WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Anybody can learn to write.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:13 PM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by opprobrium View Post
I suggest you read this post.

I love DWS as well as his wife KKR they are real(tm) writers!

That entire "Killing the Sacred Cows of Publishing" book is great I read it a while back.
http://www.deanwesleysmith.com/?page_id=860

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Last edited by kennyc; 12-12-2012 at 02:16 PM..
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

cc

Last edited by Domenic; 12-21-2012 at 09:34 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by Domenic View Post
I looked at your artwork. Great. I paint whales.

Thanks!

-
-
-

Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Gaines (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 864
Icon8

Story telling is an age old art. To be good at it requires a talent that goes beyond the story itself. It takes and engaging personna that captivates the audience long enough to keep them entertained. Tone, inflection, when to pause and when to ramble and even a bit of sound effects to punctuate your tale are all part of the talent it takes to deliver a good story.

Know your audience. It's a distinct advantage.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Agreed, that's why the narrative voice is so important!

Something many writers (particularly beginning writers) may not think about much.

-
-
-

Old 12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

I paint whales.
My son loves whales. What colors do you paint them?

Twisty mind candy:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
kennyc (12-13-2012), Webgoji (12-13-2012)
Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Gaines (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 864

If it were up to me to sum up this discussion between learning to write and talent I think this quote says it best:

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."

Chekov

The truly talented writers instincively know this. All the others will never be tortured by such knowledge, providing the world with a bumper crop of technical manual writers and "how to write experts."
Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
Domenic (Offline)

Thanks 84

cc

Last edited by Domenic; 12-21-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 09:52 PM
opprobrium (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 5

Originally Posted by Gaines View Post
If it were up to me to sum up this discussion between learning to write and talent I think this quote says it best:

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."

Chekov

The truly talented writers instincively know this. All the others will never be tortured by such knowledge, providing the world with a bumper crop of technical manual writers and "how to write experts."
So I'm assuming, since you continue to use the word talent, that you didn't read the link I posted at all because you'd much rather be bullheaded and stubborn?
Self publish and succeed. Write your next story instead of endlessly marketing your current one. Read Kristine Kathryn Rusch's blog, and Dean Wesley Smith's blog. Learn the business of publishing. Become a professional writer. Don't sign bad contracts. Don't hire an agent. Make enough money to quit your day job. Yes, it sure is possible.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Alexa (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 5

I guess yes. But it is necessary to remember that the very process of writing should bring pleasure. If not, it's better to stop it, since it will never be fruitful.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

speaking of Kris Rusch, good post in her "The Business Rusch" series this week:

http://kriswrites.com/2012/12/12/the...like-its-2009/

-
-
-

Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Gaines (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 864

Originally Posted by opprobrium View Post
So I'm assuming, since you continue to use the word talent, that you didn't read the link I posted at all because you'd much rather be bullheaded and stubborn?

I read your link. It's bullshit but I suppose it holds out hope for some. Is it working for you?

So what separates the good from the mediocre, the great from the good? Practice? Or is there some underlying cause aside from constant repitition that makes the difference? You can hang your writers hat on the words of some wanna be cowboy spouting theoretical garbage on a blog or whatever if you like but the brutal truth is that not all writers, no matter how much they practice, will become the next Nabokov or Steinbeck or Wolf or whoever you chose from that pantheon of known greats.

You have any idea why? An original thought on it or are you dependent on the suppositions of some blowhard with a goatee and cowboy hat to define what you can't fathom?

If you're going to quote someone on the subject of writing talent at least have the good sense to quote someone that knows what they speak of, someone who was known to have been a talented writer..someone like Chekov perhaps.

As for me being stubborn and bullheaded, I prefer it to being stupid and naieve. Keep practicing and someday you to will have a bestseller, just like S. Myers.

Last edited by Gaines; 12-13-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Alexa (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 5

Yes, for sure, it is possible to take up writing for everyone. But what about making people read you? It's all about so-called writing style, when a reader can't put your piece of writing off. It's really hard, and I believe not for everyone.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM
DELTAfox1994 (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 2

You can't teach talent. What you can teach is craft. Anyone can learn the craft of storytelling and become moderately successful at it. To those who ask, "Why isn't everyone on the best seller list," it's simple, really. Craft can only take you so far, and most people don't possess the perseverance it requires to become a seriously successful writer.

Talent, however, is innate. Some people just have minds that work in such a way that piecing together engaging tales is second nature. Some take advantage of their talent, and marry it with craft. Others let it fester, occasionally knocking out a good story or two.

Talent and craft, alone, can only take you so far. The truly great writers are those who possess both and put out the effort to develop and maintain their skills.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
eraser (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 22

Anyone of average intelligence can be taught to write cogent prose.

But it takes more than that (unless writing instruction manuals) to get editors to buy your words and strangers to pay for the privilege of reading them.

Hence the boom in self-pubbing. Now you don't even have to be of average intelligence OR write cogent prose in order to be "published."
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,694

Now you don't even have to be of average intelligence OR write cogent prose in order to be "published."
Still have to have a story people want to read, though.

Twisty mind candy:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
AnyaKimlun (02-12-2013), Bagit (06-12-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Honest Bill (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 7

Anybody can learn to write, but i guess it takes something else to write something great. I suppose that's what we're all striving for.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:55 AM
Snicket (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 55

I think though as well that there are two kinds of writers, imo. Those that have the "talent" are what I call the artistic writer. And those that have to work at writing don't always end up artistic writers. I know people personally who can write, but they can't write. They have no life, no soul in their writing, it's writing because they can write. Without passion, art, and soul in your writing you won't have "it" the "talent" as a writer. Writing is an art form, and all though people can create good stories as just a writer. I don't think they always can be considered artist or have "it". And they can't always be considered good writers. I hate bringing up Meyer and the one who wrote Fifty Shades of Grey. But they are the best example of people who obviously learned how to write, can write. But their stories have no passion, no heart.
So yes, anyone can write. But not everyone can be an artist.
Gaines (07-14-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM
King (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

I always thought that anybody can become somewhat good at anything as long as they're willing to go through hundreds of hours of practice. The best way to get good at something is by repetition. I also believe that practice can only take you so far. If your not passionate about what your writing it'll have no soul.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Web Enterprises (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Passion, perfection and punctuation are key.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:21 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I've yet to read a perfect book.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Nee (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 13

Yes, anyone can learn to write...

better.

However, whereas good writing can be taught, good story telling isn't so easy to learn. Mostly it's a born talent like being able to draw well. Now with talent and a good writing education, you can become a good novelist.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:23 PM
calligraphy (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 345

Yeah and everyone can learn to be good in bed too..

Uh huh...Yeah... Sure (nods head as serious as I can).

Plenty of uneducated writers out there making a living without a single class or even high school diplomas...

If that's the case then this is still not an Olympic sport and you still have to out-talent everyone out there with your mad born skills. No throwing money at it and lifting weights until you bust a gut. Nope. No amount of head to wall will MAKE you a writer. THANK THE LAWD!

Sure you can learn to get your "story" across better, but you either have a story or you don't.

When a marine bio student writes a best seller on napkins and notebook edges as recent as ten years ago about a country she has never been, an era she never learned much about, bringing me to tears I'm going to stay on the talent, talent, talent, and more talent side for now.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Gaines (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 864

No dear, not everyone can learn to be good in bed no matter the effort. Some folks just can't fuck worth a shit and some can't write worth a shit.

Fun times...
Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Siswa (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Inspiration, just reading shitloads.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:09 PM
u.v.ray (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Thanks 2

Anyone can learn to write. But the fact remains, not many are any good at it.

Though I think of Hubert Selby Jnr talking about not knowing what to do with his life: "I knew the alphabet, perhaps I could be a writer."

It's too much of a convoluted issue to put your finger on. Passion has been mentioned. That certainly might help -- but there are a whole swathe of people who're passionate about wanting to be a writer -- and yet who remain blind to how poor their writing is.

There are also a number of great writers who aren't at all passionate about it and see it as some kind of affliction. Some to the extent that they committed suicide as their only escape from the madness.

Who knows? Charles Bukowksi espoused that it merely took endurance.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Synch (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 51
Send a message via Yahoo to Synch

[QUOTE=u.v.ray;596857Passion has been mentioned. That certainly might help -- but there are a whole swathe of people who're passionate about wanting to be a writer -- and yet who remain blind to how poor their writing is.[/QUOTE]

If you're passionate about being a writer? You're in the wrong gig. You need to be passionate about writing, not being recognized as a writer.

Although the ego stroke of people reading and liking my work is always appreciated, that is not why I write. I write because I have to. I have to many ideas in my head, to many plots and twists and characters and turns, not to write. (Having experienced the "not writing" thing, it's pretty obvious I won't die from it. But I will be extremely unhappy, even mildly depressed.)
Old 08-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Gaines (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 864

Interesting fact; Bukowski was once fired from a job at a pickle factory. The foreman caught him putting his finger in the pickle slicer.

She was also fired.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Lunaremus (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

Writing is something that anyone can do. It is a skill, some are naturals others have to learn, but as it is a skill anyone can do it if they have the right motivation or passion.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Non Serviam (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 590

Originally Posted by Lunaremus View Post
Writing is something that anyone can do. It is a skill, some are naturals others have to learn, but as it is a skill anyone can do it if they have the right motivation or passion.
Almost anyone, yes. There are certain learning difficulties that can stop you writing ---- some of the more extreme dyslexias, low-functioning autism, and so on, but almost anyone can write.

Approximately 0.00001% of the people who can write have the personal qualities that will eventually make them someone who actually earns a few quid from their published writing. These qualities include the patience of a rock, persistence in the face of rejection, resilience, stubbornness, self-belief, bloody-mindedness, the ability to learn and change and grow in the face of criticism, and to a much lesser degree, talent.
;

English is a strange language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice