WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Words for describing pain

Old 11-13-2006, 02:49 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone
Default Words for describing pain

When pain cuts like a knife it can feel "exquisite." This seems peculiar to me as exquiste things are usually positive and beautiful, but it is the word that comes to mind. I was wondering if anyone knows why, and also what words or phrases do you use to describe pain? In writing about pain, I find it easy to become trite, using well-worn phrases because they are all that come to mind when it is responding to this peculiar stimulus.

If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:17 AM
starpanda (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 4

When pain cuts like a knife it can feel "exquisite." This seems peculiar to me as exquiste things are usually positive and beautiful, but it is the word that comes to mind. I was wondering if anyone knows why
collins paperback edition of the English Dictionary gives a meaning to the word 'exquisite' as 'intensely felt', which is probably where it came from.

In writing about pain, I find it easy to become trite
True, very true. I write horror/thrillers and it can be difficult to avoid it becoming cliched. I tend to write about the effect of pain on the mind and the body and I recently have discovered that I'm afflicated by 'tidal wave syndrome'...everything seems to 'surge' and 'wash' and (worse)'rage' LOL
Old 11-14-2006, 03:21 AM
tarakan (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Location: Deep within the darkest recesses of the Paris Metro
Send a message via AIM to tarakan

Some pain gnaws at you, throbbing and pulsing.

Tarakan
Old 11-14-2006, 09:31 PM
ILoveKitties03 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

The pain gobbles you whole? Is that the type of thing you're shooting for? Or, plainer still, the pain hurts like a "motha-fucker". Usually, I just say that the agony shoots through the body like a drug dosage or something having to do with drugs, alcohol, and/or something to that effect.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:39 PM
azaelkain (Offline)
Vinco vici Victum
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to azaelkain

Id have to say when a person is used to and confortable with a genre sometimes redundance is inda unavoidable. Other words for pain would be "mind-numming pain" actually i tend to use intense pain or other such i think it all has to do with the situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:15 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by tarakan View Post
Some pain gnaws at you ...
Some rats gnaw on you, like the ones the Thought Police threatened Winston Smith with in Orwell's novel "1984."

The adjectives depend on what kind of pain it is -- physical or emotional.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:14 PM
riverstone (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to riverstone

Collecting these from people I know, one new friend asks me to post that pain to him is like birth.

He was adopted and only in midlife has he found his brother who was also adopted out of his family.

I haven't found my Oxford's yet - does anyone have the roots of the word exquisite?
out- question?- can't be it.

Pain is often mind-wiping to me, there is nothing else I can think of or focus on when it is severe and it can wipe my short term memory with it, so as with the waves mentioned her, it washes away all I meant to do or say.

I find myself constantly bringing it up so people won't be quite so pissed at me when I screw up - I hate that I hear myself mentioning it so often. So pain is a thief, stealing my relationships, my dignity, my sense of accomplishment, my time, my memories...

It throbs, stabs, aches, screams, tortures, pinches, pokes, sticks itself in like a skewer, cramps, freezes, burns, wastes, dominates, plays the descant, steals the melody... ah, my life, so creative!

Kit
If I did not tell you all the changes you might consider, I would be doing you a disservice, treating you with less than the full respect you deserve. This much I have learned from my years teaching and mentoring writers.

Riverstones let the water flow around them.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues