WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Stray by Sheri Joseph

Old 09-23-2008, 05:10 PM
cajeck (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 15
Default Stray by Sheri Joseph

Thirty-year-old Kent McKutcheon has come to Atlanta with little ambition beyond his earnest desire to grow up and be a good person. But after a year of contented, stable existence with his Mennonite wife, Maggie, a defense attorney with a passion for social justice, Kent cannot quiet his longing for Paul, the lover who abandoned him three years before. When an accidental meeting revives their affair, the infatuation they’ve kept private soon threatens to destroy the public persona each man has created.

In a single night that slips out of control, the volatile mix of emotions leads to murder, and all three characters are suddenly more involved with each other’s lives than they could have foreseen. And none can hope to escape unscathed.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RHE06OD...cm_cr_rdp_perm
A review written for the book. Just about all I came across were good reviews, though maybe (in truth) I didn't look hard enough. WARNING: The review itself has some spoilers. The amazon page may have less spoiling reviews, but not nearly as insightful.

I just recently finished this great book, and I've got to say...I really am amazed. I picked it up because a book group I had recently subscribed to brought it up during discussion, and since I've found it at Borders, I couldn't put it down. It really is the first book of its sort that has sucked me in so completely--normally romantic dramas of this sort have me scoffing like it were something Lifetime had conjured up...but that isn't the case with this book. It feels true to the intimacy of relationships, and none of the characters I could really bring myself to hate, instead I feel for each and everyone of them. In fact, I loved them all so much I wished in a naive, idealistic sort of way that I'd get a fairy-tale ending. Instead, what I got was something that rang true of life, without seeming like an exhausted and typical conclusion to a three-way love triangle. In my opinion it would probably make a great indie drama flick (but of course, much of the magic of this story rests in Joseph's careful and poetic portrayals of the three main characters, something I don't think can be easily translated into film.) I guess what I love most is that I feel like I can read this book again, right now, and still love every minute of it. Not many books can make me feel that way.

My gushing aside, I was wondering if anyone had read the book or was interested enough to discuss it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cajeck; 09-23-2008 at 05:12 PM..

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library