WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board

The Notice Board All site related announcements will be here.

Forum Changes

Old 01-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Cordatus (Offline)
Viscount of Vainglorious Deeds
Official Member

Thanks 19
Default Forum Changes

Hello, everyone!

As you may or may not have noticed, changes to the Writer's Beat forums are underway and some are now implemented. The aim of these changes is make the forums fit to the new web site that is soon going to be launched. We are placing the final touches and expect to go live within the next two weeks. (If we, again, postpone the launch date, we will notify you.)

The first of the these changes was the new layout. The previous "wooden" version was, in terms of design, not highly practical and very much confusing. We believe that this new layout is simpler, less scrambled, and much more pretty!

However, we received comments that we're better off with another color scheme that is more 'lively' and vibrant. We are trying other things right now and we will update you later when we have something final to go by.

As for now, here are the changes you need to know about:

1- The 'Site Announcements' forum is now 'The Notice Board'.

2- The 'Books and Authors' forum is now 'The Library' and under the General Discussion section.

3- A new forum has been added: 'In Pencil'. It is going to serve as a place for all discussions related to In Pencil.

Now we reach the Writer's Beat staff. Please welcome Icarus as our new web site Manager. Most of her responsibilies fall in the backroom of Writer's Beat, but you will be seeing a lot of her. You can contact her anytime about anything.

Queen of Wands is what I like to call 'The Hired Muscle'. She is (along with Mridula) the community moderator and will play a vital role in maintaining the peace and harmony of the place. (She is the person you do not want to anger!)

Mridula is the Contests Coordinator; she is going to organizing the web site's official contests and the new, upcoming competitions. She is also the editor of the content here on the website, and my own personal slave editor.

And finally, Daniel and I, your humble administrators. We are always going to be around and active though working at the backstage of the web site. You can always contact us anytime.

That's it for now. Please keep checking here for more updates. Now tell us your ideas and suggestions here!

Hakeem

Old 01-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

The lay out at the moment looks ok so what about shading the darker bits (such as above each post where it displays the post number) in a soft colour, and leaving the main body colour as it is, I would say it is white, but it appears darker next to word doc witness.

The new location of the boards such as the “Notice Board” and “In pencil” have pushed the writing boards quit far down.

Is there a reason why fiction and non fiction have changed around? Just wondering.

Oh and Icarus congratulation for the promotion.

Come to think about it Cordatus you have also been promoted recently congratulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Thanks for the congratulations, Tau!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
Old 01-19-2008, 07:30 PM
maylet (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to maylet

I love how Writer's Beat looks now

Old 01-20-2008, 05:20 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Where is the reply button on a PM? There appears only to be Forward and Quote buttons, yes one can reply using those, but the separate reply button has disappeared.

edit: sometimes when i use the reply or the quick reply this apeares in the post
fficeffice" />>>
when i change the editor mode i get this code (i have inserted a space infront of evry part so that it does not convert to the above)
f f i c e : o f f i c e " / > < O : p > < / O : p >

Last edited by Tau; 01-20-2008 at 05:25 AM..
Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Cordatus (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 19

Originally Posted by Tau Worlock View Post
Where is the reply button on a PM? There appears only to be Forward and Quote buttons, yes one can reply using those, but the separate reply button has disappeared.
The Reply button is temporarily the Quote button in disguise.

Originally Posted by Tau Worlock View Post
edit: sometimes when i use the reply or the quick reply this apeares in the post

when i change the editor mode i get this code (i have inserted a space infront of evry part so that it does not convert to the above)
Perhaps it's because I changed some of the BB codes earlier today. I don't think it will show up again. But if it does show up again, please PM me Daniel about it.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:43 AM
Tau (Offline)
Solemn Simulacrum

Thanks 682

Ah I see, the reply button is scared and masquerading as is brother Quote.

Will do.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:34 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Looks great. I've told Dan this many times but not the rest of you.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 AM
BreezyWriter (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Congratulations to all who have recieved promotions!

I wish I could say the same as the others about the forum. But from where I am the background looks like the color of baby's breast fed barf. Sorry but the color is very dragging. Its actually depressing. Colors I've noticed alot while doing research is; Yellow and Green every once in awhile blueish gray or black with colored writing. The later is great but somewhat hard on the eyes. The three first ones are of light colors, it looks alot livelier.

I do hope that the next part will look different. As it was it was very lively and inviting. Sorry if it stays like it is now. It will be no different than any other 100's of drab forums on the net. Writer's Beat is different it should look different. But most of all friendly and inviting.

Also when I read what others write I have to drag the bar below from left to right. Or I make the writing smaller and can barely read properly.

Verdena was the writing style of before. Now it is trebuchet MS. It looks like the letters stumble together or seperate giving the impression of a mispelled word.

Sorry about dragging it down like I am. That is the feeling I get when I come on the Beat now.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do to make it different.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:37 AM
DFischer (Offline)
Got Fisch?
Official Member

Thanks 170
Send a message via AIM to DFischer

Well, I changed it to Verdana

Personal site:

Please critique other's work before asking to get critique on your own.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Q Wands (Offline)
aí Ghaidhealtachd chridhe

Thanks 452

Oh, I like Verdana. That's my default on Word.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Chloe (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to Chloe

Aw, I liked the Trebuchet MS. It's my favourite font.

Out of curiosity, is there any way you guys could create an area where members could select the default font they want their messages posted in? I know we can change it via the drop-down menu, but I'm so forgetful, I'm sure I would always forget to change it.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Cordatus (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 19

I don't think there's an option that'll allow each member to set a default font. But right now, you can (ctrl+A) the text and choose the font you like. It only takes seconds, really.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Chloe (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to Chloe

Yes, I know. *shrug* Doesn't hurt to ask. =)
Old 01-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Joewood (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to Joewood Send a message via Yahoo to Joewood

Looking good, really good but I do miss the little thank you button

Perceptions of Guilt

|
|
|
Old 01-23-2008, 08:25 AM
dorrie9 (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

Hey all,
I love the new look. Thanks for all you do to make this the very best place to share ones work and to read some great reads. Looking forward to spending time on the WB this year,
even if it has to be at the library.
Later friends, Dorrie
Old 01-24-2008, 02:49 AM
BreezyWriter (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Originally Posted by DFischer View Post
Well, I changed it to Verdana

Thank you Daniel, it is easier on the eyes.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > The Notice Board