WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourself; we're all writers here, nothing to hide!

Hi all

Old 11-05-2016, 11:27 PM
Abhishek_SG (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Default Hi all

Hello everyone,

I'm Abhishek from India. At this moment, I am trying to create a crowd-sourced story. One single story, but with each chapter written by a different author. Each author starts off where the previous one stopped, and takes the story forward. I am constantly on the hunt for people who might be interested in writing a chapter.

My reason for doing this is primarily curiosity, as I'm unsure as to whether something of this nature has existed before. In this day and age, community as a concept is being applied to many aspects of our lives. I was curious to see, how it would pan out if added to authorship.

If you are interested, do let me know by replying to this post

Old 11-06-2016, 05:05 AM
Carly Berg (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Welcome, Abhishek. I write alone, myself, but I've never seen such a story and it does sound like an interesting idea. What are your plans for the story after it's finished?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Writing Flash Fiction: How To Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

Old 11-06-2016, 06:59 AM
Abhishek_SG (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Well..I havn't figured that bit out yet to be honest. It could go one of two ways. Let it simply continue, like an epic. Or, declare after a certain number of chapters that there are x more chapters till the end, and ask the writers to steer the story there. It is purely done as an experimental publishing model. If the story becomes popular and can be monetized in some way, i want to ensure that every one who has contributed to it gets an equal share. However, like I said, these things become relevant at a much later point. At the moment there are 5 chapters published.

In case you are interested to be a part of this do let me know.

Last edited by Abhishek_SG; 11-06-2016 at 08:00 AM..
Old 11-06-2016, 07:05 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Abhishek.

Your project is interesting. I've read many text books where a different writer(with different expertise) produced each chapter. I can't think of a fiction book like that.

I used to teach creative writing and started each class with a piece of paper with one sentence on it. A student wrote it. Then it was passed around and everyone had to add at least a sentence which made sense with what was written before. Before dismissing the class I would read it. It brought the house down and everyone left feeling good.

So if I want to join your project what are the logistics? Let me know. wrc

Originally Posted by Abhishek_SG View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm Abhishek from India. At this moment, I am trying to create a crowd-sourced story. One single story, but with each chapter written by a different author. Each author starts off where the previous one stopped, and takes the story forward. I am constantly on the hunt for people who might be interested in writing a chapter.

My reason for doing this is primarily curiosity, as I'm unsure as to whether something of this nature has existed before. In this day and age, community as a concept is being applied to many aspects of our lives. I was curious to see, how it would pan out if added to authorship.

If you are interested, do let me know by replying to this post

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:32 AM
Abhishek_SG (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Hi wrc,

I'm glad you find this interesting. The manner of teaching that you referred to, is exactly what prompted me to start this. In school I had something quite similar.

The logistics are quite simple. You can share your email and I will send across the Facebook/Blog links. This will help you in seeing the project yourself. I cant share the links here, since I just joined this forum and there seems to be some restriction with regards to posting links. If you wish to write a chapter just let me know, and I will add you in the queue of authors. I will contact you once its your turn and share with you the draft of the preceding chapter in advance (before it is published online). This should give you some more time to write.

If you are unsure of sharing your email and are aware of any other way for me to share the links with you, do let me know.

Again, thanks for showing interest. I really do appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:28 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 229

Hi Abhishek_SG.

The logistics I was interested concerns the content of your project.

Who ever writes chapter 1 creates the elements of the story which broadly defines what other writers in the following chapters can write. Characters, place, style, genre, time period and thrust of the story would be developed here.

Soap operas in the US usually employ a 'master' writer (called Story Editor) to write up a 'Bible' that's sent to all the writers involved and may rewrite each chapter as it comes in for consistency issues. I'm not suggesting you do this as it could kill the spontanaity of the project. I mention it to demo one way to ensure that all writers are telling the same story.

You could write the beginning chapter and invite others to join the effort. I suggest you do this since you're the one that will have the energy required to keep the project moving.

I am interested in playing because it would be fun.

As a new member here I'm not sure you're allowed to send Private Messages until you've made 5 posts. PMs are the best ways to exchange email addresses. So now I'll stop this message and attempt to sent you a PM.

If you're not clear about what I talking about go back to some of the info you agreed to to get into the forum. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:50 AM
thisangel (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 149

Hi, Abhishek -

I love the idea, and would be happy to take part. I do Improv Theatre, and the form employs much the same technique, especially in longform (where we improvise and entire theatre show) or in games like "Story Story Die" where each person moves the story forward, one at a time.

I have found the experience exhilarating, and have also found it immensely helpful to my writing, So yay!

The Following User Says Thank You to thisangel For This Useful Post:
Abhishek_SG (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 05:59 AM
Abhishek_SG (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Originally Posted by thisangel View Post
Hi, Abhishek -

I love the idea, and would be happy to take part. I do Improv Theatre, and the form employs much the same technique, especially in longform (where we improvise and entire theatre show) or in games like "Story Story Die" where each person moves the story forward, one at a time.

I have found the experience exhilarating, and have also found it immensely helpful to my writing, So yay!

Thanks so much for your interest. I would love for you to be a part of this. As a new member I have some restrictions on private messages. Could you share your email id please? I will email you the links to the respective pages. Once again thanks .

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Introductions